Quadcopter video from our Gulf Islands trip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We just love sitting on the back deck enjoying an adult beverage only to have one of those damn drones flying overhead. Makes me want to buy a shotgun.

Bob

Try some of these loads...

Attachments

• drone_loads_product_image_2.jpg
    drone_loads_product_image_2.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 100
I still haven't done much with my little quadcopter, but I have to agree - they can be annoying. In fact, I've had a couple of friends mention on separate occasions that they were in public parks and people flying drones had ruined the experience for them. it will be very interesting to see how this plays out...

Wow!! Very nice video!! My wife and I were just talking about this subject today. Looks like there is a drone on the Christmas list!

Which model do you have?

It will be interesting to see how our legal systems responds to the first case where a persons shoots down a drone in a public or private place. Or even more likely a thrown projectile.

I was buzzed by a drone while on the Chesapeake this summer. I did not find it annoying because it didn't last long but I'm probably the least interesting person in the world.

Certainly some drone operators are hoping to capture images of something that should be private. How our legal systems responds to those images posted on the internet will also be interesting.

Next big thing: Drone detector

Lets hope the very recent NTSB ruling that these things are subject to FAA rules will permanently ground them.

Oh, my. That sounds a whole lot like -

Attachments

• Damn-kids-GET-OFF-MY-LAWN.jpg
    Damn-kids-GET-OFF-MY-LAWN.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 216
It will be interesting to see how our legal systems responds to the first case where a persons shoots down a drone in a public or private place. Or even more likely a thrown projectile.

Certainly some drone operators are hoping to capture images of something that should be private. How our legal systems responds to those images posted on the internet will also be interesting.

Next big thing: Drone detector

Yep.

Or when someone is filmed by a drone while sun bathing nude in the their fenced in back yard with a six foot tall fence that blocks views.

Tis one thing for a plane to fly over hundreds or thousands of feet in the altitude vs a drone flying a dozen or so feet off the ground.

I will guess there will be quite a few incidents were people apply the rural rule, SSS, Shoot Shovel Shutup. :angel::rofl:

Later,
Dan

It seems I remember reading that the courts have ruled on similar right to privacy issues. One issue was photos of a celebrity being posted that were considered to most people to be somewhat revealing. The courts ruled that a person in a public place has no right to privacy if they exposed themselves and those pictures were distributed. No right to privacy exits apparently in a public place. Not sure if this is an exact ruling, just what I remember.

A drone over a private place is a different matter of course. But where does a private place end and the public's begin. Legal questions no doubt that will need to be dealt with.

The bigger issue is if it flies off on its own and smashes into someone's face. My sentiments are with the hawk in the video linked above.
i have been flying them for a year now, and have insurance to cover any problems, pay 58$ for a year of ins. it covers libility and loss of quad,1000 for loss of quad and 1million libility

i have been flying them for a year now, and have insurance to cover any problems, pay 58$ for a year of ins. it covers libility and loss of quad,1000 for loss of quad and 1million libility
they also sell one that will follow you were ever you go and you can operate it with your I phone and if it gets out of range it will come back to where ever it took off from, i know my spelling is bad i am a high school dropout

It's my understanding that the NTSB ruling moves these devices out of the model airplane realm and into the real aircraft world. That means tough airworthiness rules for the vehicle and tough rules for the operators. The ruling came as result of a fine that an operator was assessed by the FAA for operating the vehicle in a congested area at low altitude. The operator went to court on the basis that he was operating a model aircraft below 500 feet and not subject to FAA jurisdiction. The judge ruled with the operator. The FAA went to the NTSB for a reading from them and the NTSB came down on the side of the FAA. All said and done, the $10,000 fine will be enforced. You might want to check as to whether your insurance policy covers fines, because it looks like many of you will be paying them. Speaking from a background as an FAA airworthiness type, the proliferation of these aircraft is a serious safety issue. One fell on a woman last week following a mechanical malfunction. While she was not seriously injured, she could have been killed. Having an insurance policy does not give one the right to endanger fellow citizens. The crackdown is coming.

Can't come soon enough. There are several in our marina that just fly back and forth over the marina, extremely annoying.

Bob

It's my understanding that the NTSB ruling moves these devices out of the model airplane realm and into the real aircraft world. That means tough airworthiness rules for the vehicle and tough rules for the operators. The ruling came as result of a fine that an operator was assessed by the FAA for operating the vehicle in a congested area at low altitude. The operator went to court on the basis that he was operating a model aircraft below 500 feet and not subject to FAA jurisdiction. The judge ruled with the operator. The FAA went to the NTSB for a reading from them and the NTSB came down on the side of the FAA. All said and done, the $10,000 fine will be enforced. You might want to check as to whether your insurance policy covers fines, because it looks like many of you will be paying them. Speaking from a background as an FAA airworthiness type, the proliferation of these aircraft is a serious safety issue. One fell on a woman last week following a mechanical malfunction. While she was not seriously injured, she could have been killed. Having an insurance policy does not give one the right to endanger fellow citizens. The crackdown is coming.
you could be right but we will see what happens, i lot of people that run boats that dont know what the hell there doing could also causeserious injury? somebody should crack down on them too.they have insurance also. JUST SAYING THATS ALL

A drone over a private place is a different matter of course. But where does a private place end and the public's begin. Legal questions no doubt that will need to be dealt with.

I believe the US Supreme Court has ruled that the landowner also owns the airspace above his land up to some height. I'm not sure if it's 500' or 1,000'. Anyway, probably higher than most copters fly. That means the drone is trespassing. But, using deadly force is probably not legal.

Yes, even in Texas.

Drones are an emerging issue here for our bushfire (forest fire) helicopter water bomber pilots. One intruded on a fire scene recently, now pilots say they won`t operate when one is around, and these pilots are brave skilful guys known to operate even UNDER electricity lines, to bomb fires otherwise inaccessible that are threatening houses. It`s a problem. Someone may get great footage from a drone but if it scares off the helicopters it may be of burning houses, people, and animals.

you could be right but we will see what happens, i lot of people that run boats that dont know what the hell there doing could also causeserious injury? somebody should crack down on them too.they have insurance also. JUST SAYING THATS ALL

Totally agree. License them.

Licensing and air worthiness certification will put drones out of the reach of most normal folks.
There is a place for recreational drones in our society, but how that works out remains for the courts to decide.

On a slightly related matter; the Europeans have just about destroyed general aviation due to their strict regulations and taxes and fees.

Licensing and air worthiness certification will put drones out of the reach of most normal folks.
There is a place for recreational drones in our society, but how that works out remains for the courts to decide.

On a slightly related matter; the Europeans have just about destroyed general aviation due to their strict regulations and taxes and fees.

I'm an aggressive defender/protector of general aviation including experimental. But even the latter segment was on it's way to ruin as a result of horrible accident statistics. The recreational pilot's license was instituted and design and build procedures were strengthened through a joint EAA and FAA venture thereby making the machines something approaching "safe". A small bit of regulation arguably saved them from themselves. Drones are currently a threat to GA as well as commercial aviation. They're going to have to carve out their niche, and it won't be inexpensive. That's not all bad as it will weed out many the cowboys and idiots.

Back
Top Bottom