View Single Post
Old 11-19-2014, 02:54 PM   #32
Marin
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny View Post

You'd feel my pain if you could actually get someone interested in going on a date at this point only to hear that their hobbies are taking pictures, listening to music, and hanging out with friends.
You said you are a pilot. I got all my landplane ratings-- Private, Commercial, Instrument, Flight Instructor--- in Hawaii. I used to (jokingly) tell my friends that airplanes scared the sh*t out of me, but they were a great way to pick up girls.

And it was true. Once I got my Private, just about every first date I had with a girl was a ride in a plane. I'd take them to either Maui or Kauai, rent a car, drive around and see stuff all day, and then fly back to Honolulu.

I'd meet a girl on a shoot-- one of the models if it was a fashion shoot, or a girl working in the background if it was a commercial for a bank or something--- strike up a conversation and drop in that I was a pilot and had she ever been in a small plane before. The answer was invariably no. So I'd ask her if she'd like to go for a ride. The answer was invariably yes.

After I moved here and got my seaplane rating, I began doing exactly the same thing. My first date with the girl who is now my wife was a flight to the San Juan islands for lunch in a Cessna 180 on floats.

A big advantage I had in Hawaii was the weather was almost always great for flying. So it was a ploy I could use year-round. Add to that the "glamor" of going to an island they'd almost always not been to yet, and it was an offer that was pretty hard to resist.

The best place was Kauai, about a hundred miles from Oahu, where there's an old WWII fighter strip right next to a beautiful beach park. Back then I mostly flew a Cessna 206, so the flight took about 45 minutes. Fly over, park the plane on the grass next to the beach, go swimming, sit on the beach, get lunch from the roach coach in the parking lot, swim some more, go for a walk, etc., etc., etc., and then fly home just before sunset. A day like that never failed to totally blow the girl away.

So, put your pilot's license to work for you.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote