Favorite Desolation Sound cruising destinations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marin

Guru
Stealing Mark's idea to list favorite cruising places in SE Alaska, I'm going to start three other ones.* This one is for Desolation Sound in BC.

Our favorite destinations so far are:

Prideaux Haven (fabulous setting, great dinghy exploring)

Refuge Cove* (funky community built on the rocky shore with decently stocked store, fuel, restaurant, etc.)

Squirrel Cove (protected anchorage, caution logging debris on the bottom in some places, interesting lagoon to explore when the tide is right)

Rebecca Spit* (nice walks ashore, somewhat protected anchorage)

Surprise nice spot--- Comox on the way home.* Nice marina, good restaurants, nice town.

-- Edited by Marin on Sunday 10th of October 2010 10:26:20 PM

I will add Big Bay on the NW corner of Jedediah island...off the* SW side of Texada Island.* We stop on the way north or south when headed to/from Desolation Sound.* The entire island is a Provincial park and has great walking trails. Lots of old log rings to stern tie to, and a great old homestead to explore. We headed right past this spot on the way north for years... not anymore!
HOLLYWOOD

I'm not at the boat so can't look up Big Bay in the guidebooks or sailing directions. How protected is the bay from what can go on out in Georgia Strait?

I agree with Marin, but would like to add:

Roscoe Bay - great lake for swimming and some good hiking trails, great view from the top!

Von Donop Inlet - Quiet, big and beautiful. Great walking trail to Squirrel Cove.

Jedediah Island is also a favorite stop, but I am not familiar with Big Bay. Perhaps I know it under a different name on this map.

Attachments

• jedediah .jpg
    jedediah .jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 311
We often get to lakes from our anchorages in Desolation Sound
Teakern arm, anchor in Good Sex Cove and walk the logging road to the lake.
Otter island, dinghy around to Tenedos Bay and walk up to Unwin lake.
Von Donop, walk the (very old) logging road to Wylie lake or dinghy out past the entrance and walk up the (again very old) logging road to Robertson lake.
I have found canoes stashed on each of the last 3, two with fishing gear inside.
Alfred Island, dinghy up half a mile and hike the steep trail to the lake.
All of those destinations also provide excellent Prawn fishing and some very good oyster hunting.
Attwood Bay is gorgeous, and always good fishing.
From Pendrell sound you can walk the new logging road to Raza Passage. The berries are great along the way.
All of the places mentioned by Marin are nice, but crowded. The anchorages we frequent are smaller and get way less crowded. The lakes noted above, with the sole exception of Unwin, will be yours alone if you make the effort.
But, like Marin says, the sun never shines there. It is named Desolation Sound as a comment on the weather, so wear your rain gear, keep the diesel stove running and have the hot rum ready when you get back to your boat.

In addition to the places I mentioned in my first post we also went to Von Donop and Grace Harbor but while they were both interesting we did not consider them to be highlight destinations of the places we went. I agree about the popularity of some places in Desolation but since we never do any longer cruises until after Labor Day, the area was not crowded at all, even the super-popular Prideaux Haven. The spots with the best views were wide open when we were there.

Attachments

• prideaux 1.jpg
    prideaux 1.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 138
  • prideaux view.jpg
    prideaux view.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 244
Hi Mike and Keith,We had a very rough passage across the strait and wound up at Boho Bay. Boy were we ever glad to be there. (40 knot northerly) Would like to have hung out but were on our way to Alaska. Big Bay is at the junction of Dent and Yaculta rapids (pronounced you-ca-ta). Correct me if I'm wrong. That was in 03 and Chris and I (then dating) went to Juneau in out little 25' Albin. All friends pronounced the relationship doomed. 68 days on the boat in the most glorious weather in SE in 50 years!!! I don't think we missed Good Sex Cove. Where is it?
Marin,
Very nice pictures!

Eric;

I too love Boho Bay. My fav near Jedediah. Great prawning, caught a nice sized octopus in the prawn trap once.

Big is definitely near Yuculta (yoo-clew-taw to the locals, not as you had it). Hollywood is referring to Deep Bay on Jedediah. Often has criss cross of anchor lines and tie backs. secure, but sometimes interesting for the first to leave in the morning. easy access to the trails around the island. A must walk couple of hours every visit.

GSC is on the north side of Tenedos, 1/2 mile from the far eastern end. A nice little cove big enough for 3 anchors, provided all tie back. Big sign on a tree proclaims the name, only visible once you are in the cove.

I think Keith meant to say that GSC is on the north side of Teakearne Arm. Unless, heaven forbid, there is more than one GSC!

Sorry for the missed name of Deep Bay on Jedediah Isl.* For years we cruised right past it on the way to Desolation. It has amazing walking or running trails ( the Admiral HAS to run every day or the crew thinks mutiny ). It has interesting history and it a great stop over. Good protection, but you do have to set the hook and do a stern tie to the walls of the bay. I have not had issues with getting out as I try to set the farthest out anyway. Give it a try... you will be pleased
HOLLYWOOD

We visited Jedediah Island a summer ago. Lovely old growth fir and well preserved homestead built by the Seattle couple in the 1950's. Sea Magazine will have an article on Jedediah in Nov issue.

Right in Desolation area is Roscoe Bay. Entrance goes dry at most low tides. Then you are on a pond . Nice fresh water lake close up a trail.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom