And so it begins...(again)>>

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Heron, have u ever seen the Lyman w flybridge on her hardtop? I was looking at that before I found Starside. Think- Crab Pots on the Chesapeake! The Fly Bridge is mandatory!!!

I can't mess up my lines w Starside but I still look at Lyman's as my eventual 2nd boat (if I win the lottery, of course!)

I haven't seen that....but having my run-ins with crab pots on the bay I can understand!

Sea trial, Haul-out, Bottom scrub, hull check and survey yesterday...

Very clean bill of health. Everything works, runs great....
Some equipment surprises...Washdown system, Wireless Handheld for the Auto-pilot etc. Nice! Looks like a settlement later this week!

IMG_3940-vi.jpg

IMG_3945-vi.jpg

Last edited:
Bet you get good mpg at hull speed or a smidge below with that pretty baby. Looking forward to your reports!

What's with the sack on what I guess is much hair... in front of boat. See that in kitchens and computer main frame rooms... but, at boatyards during hauling??

Last edited:
Bet you get good mpg at hull speed or a smidge below with that pretty baby. Looking forward to your reports!

What's with the sack on what I guess is much hair... in front of boat. See that in kitchens and computer main frame rooms... but, at boatyards during hauling??

Lots of records over the years.....Seems to hit hull speed at 1800 rpm...Travels pretty smartly in the low 7 knot range at 2K. Dirty bottom for the sea trial...Should be better now! Trip to the home port at the end of the month (50 miles or so) so we'll see!

I guess he was wearing that to keep the powerwashed gunk off...The smart guy wore a full suit!

Well...Yesterday I became an owner, so i guess it's all official now. All it took was a boatload of money!
Happy as a clam...Upgrades already underway, and will move her to Washington NC next weekend!

My (new to me) Volvo:
20141121_130141-vi.jpg

Galley slave headquarters:
20141121_154650-vi.jpg

Cocktail lounge:
20141121_123944-vi.jpg

Helm:
20141121_154704-vi.jpg

I found a good one...Looking forward to years of fun on her..

Congratulations! Nice looking boat. Enjoy.

She's beautiful, Heron.
What's her name?

She's beautiful, Heron.
What's her name?

Thanks Starside! Probably will call her "Heron II".
Our last boat was Heron, so.....

That's a good name esp if the original Heron have you joy & many years of fun.

I changed my boat's name - her last name was Red Herring which didn't suit me. Her original 1930 name was Aquillo which means North Wind.

I then stumbled on a Coast Guard list from 1930 of all the private vessels given to the war effort. There were many Elco's on the list, & they tracked the boats years after. Many didn't survive beyond the 40's but there was this one Elco that made it to the 70's, perhaps beyond. That was Starside & I fell in love w the name. Perfectly suited me as I work nightshift & am a amateur astronomer. :)

Perfectly suited me as I work nightshift & am a amateur astronomer. :)

Perfect!

Boats prior names were "Dooley" and "Tiger"...LOL

Last edited:
People building a house next to me have a 28' Cape Dory and there's a 33' down the canal. The 28' has a single 200 Volvo while the 33' has 200 Volvo twins.

Your boat looks to have been loved a lot. Congrats, a good find.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom