Radar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CaptSoterio

Veteran Member
Anyone ever experience difficulty with getting a radar to work after the power wire was cut with dikes?

Sorry did this kind of fast and the subject doesnt explain much.

If it was powered up at the time probably.

What unit?

Not all are always damaged if off..but I was always taught to do one wire at a time if still connected to units.

I didnt catch much about it, i had my 3 yo in my arms. Im going again Tuesday to check it out further and possibly buy. it was lowrance though if i remember right. Smaller radar dome and looked like 5in screen.

Unless you see it working and working pretty good....I would probably pass on it.

Not only because of the cable, but if that's how it was treated, and you don'the know the full history of the unit and it's age to begin with, then that would seal the walk away for me.

Anyone ever experience difficulty with getting a radar to work after the power wire was cut with dikes?

Sorry did this kind of fast and the subject doesnt explain much.

I did this by accident once, nothing was on so it didn't affect anything. Used scotch locks to hook the wires back up.

ok i understand i should walk away but its quite the bargain and almost worth the gamble. the screen is fairly new looking however it does make me wonder why it was cut and now sits at the marine exchange.

So if that's the case bring a power supply, hook it up and see how it works. If they won't let you, walk.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Trawler

So if that's the case bring a power supply, hook it up and see how it works. If they won't let you, walk.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Trawler

I can try this and have thought about. i think the price will go up proven it works.

I can try this and have thought about. i think the price will go up proven it works.

Or get it cheap, take it home and prove it's worthless when it doesn't work?

There is a fuss in the dome or in the array, you may want to check to see if you have blown that fuss.
Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
Capt. Don

Doubtful...is he going to sell it to the next guy saying, "yeah, the last dude brought a power supply, hooked it up, proved it worked, then decided not to buy it"

Low ball him if it tests out OK. Not your problem it was removed in a hurry or in an unprofessional manner. Ebay is flooded with old electronics...happy listing :)

Lowrance used Si-Tex domes and arrays at one time. They used the MDS series and used a rim 100 radar junction box, this box is no longer available if it's not with it or if it's bad. My scanner has the Lowrance decal on it so I've some experience with these models. The power wires your talking about is it the power to the display or power to the dome?

I dont know the model, im going to try and hit there today if not tomorrow for sure to take pictures with my cell phone and really look it over. I'll get back with updates. I just had a new idea to get the model number and call the company whomever it is to see if they will tell me if it will work or not.

If it was only the 2 power wires (plus and minus) coming from the boat and going TO the radar that got cut I would not expect it to hurt the radar at all. The radar unit would see it as the voltage going to zero and the momentary over current would be coming from the fuse panel. It may or may not have blown a fuse or tripped a breaker on the boat but that also wouldn't materr to the radar unit.

Ken

okay, after further investigation i decided that this was more of a pain in the rear then originally thought. There are no end connectors to any of the wires. The unit is also a cheaper brand and it looks like its atleast 15 or 20 years old so finding the right parts probably wont be that easy.

im walking away and going to use the money on something else, like paint!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom