2007 43 Mainship

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jspatola

Vessel Name
Adventure
Vessel Make
Mainship 400
My wife and own a 2005 40'Mainship and love the boat. We would however like just a bit more room. We have our boat up for sale and are looking at a 2007 43 Mainship with the 440HP Yanmars. We wondered if there is anyone on the forum that has the 43 and perhaps could answer a few questions:
1. What is the fuel burn with the above engines at various power settings?
2. When the boat came out (I think in 2006) it has a single tank? Does anyone know if the tank configuration was changed in 2007.

Also, good news/bad news feedback on the 2006 or 2007 43 would be helpful.

Thanks much in advance.

I think you may be referring to the 43' Mainship "Pilot" sedan sans flybridge. It is a pretty big 43 footer. Nice accommodations. Seemed to me to run with a very bow up attitude. The ones I have seen could have been just trimmed wrongly. I suspect that you could expect about 25-26 gal/hr at high cruise. I don't think the configuration of the boat changed.

My wife and own a 2005 40'Mainship and love the boat. We would however like just a bit more room. We have our boat up for sale and are looking at a 2007 43 Mainship with the 440HP Yanmars. We wondered if there is anyone on the forum that has the 43 and perhaps could answer a few questions:
1. What is the fuel burn with the above engines at various power settings?
2. When the boat came out (I think in 2006) it has a single tank? Does anyone know if the tank configuration was changed in 2007.

Also, good news/bad news feedback on the 2006 or 2007 43 would be helpful.

Thanks much in advance.

If you're looking to change because you need more room over your 40', then I might suggest larger than the 43'. There's a tendency to think 2 or 3 more feet will solve all we're looking for when in reality we're looking for 5 to 10 more feet.

Think carefully of the ways in which the current boat is tight. Not enough to say one needs a bigger boat, but what parts of the boat. For instance, if it's galley and engine room, then evaluate the other boat's galley and engine room. Also note what you like best about your current boat and make sure you don't lose those attributes.

Mainship made both a downeaster style Pilot 34 as Don notes and a flybridge trawler 43 like the 40, which is probably what the OP is looking to move up to.

I don't know anything specific about the boat, but be careful about the engines. The Yanmar 440 has a problematic history particularly on the Hinckley picnic boats. They swallowed valves. Its smaller sister, the 370 hp version has been mostly problem free.

The problem can be alleviated by under propping them a bit and never cruising at more than 2,800 rpm. Tony Athens, the Cummins/Yanmar guru on boatdiesel recommends propping them to hit at least 3,500 rpm at wot.

Mainship probably didn't prop them to 3,500 rpm and after years of water absorption and gear, like my last two Mainships with the 370 hp engine, they now hit 3,350. So definitely take a couple of inches of pitch out of the props to get them up to 3,500 at wot if you buy the boat. If they only reach 3,200 or less, I would seriously consider walking.

So how do you know if the engines were abused, ie propped to barely 3,300 and run at 3,000 extensively? One way is to look at the intake air piping from the turbo to the air cooler. If the paint is discolored a light brown, then the engines have been run hard and long.

Other than that simple look, I don't know how to tell, other than trusting the seller. I absolutely would have an engine survey done with someone who knows these engines.

David

Last edited:
Thanks all for the feedback. Some good ideas, suggestions and info. Got me thinking about moving up. Maybe I should just retrofit our current 40' and enjoy what we have. New/larger refrigerato., update the electronics, add a bow thruster and go cruising…Anyway, thanks for everyone's responses.

If you are looking to go up from a 40 flybridge to a 43 flybridge there is a huge difference. look at the specs and you will see we have the 43 triple cabin 06 model and its much larger then the 40

I've been looking at the 43 trawler as well. The optional galley down layout eliminates the third stateroom, and makes for a pretty nice galley. Looks like a good sized fridge and oven. I prefer that layout to the standard 3 cabin job. The galley seems too small, and I don't like it right next to the helm like it is.

Wayfarer I too thought I wanted the 2 bedroom layout but after being on at least a dozen 43's with many layouts ( didn't know there was so many ways to find them ) I liked them both but for us Since we are going to be living on it for a year at least. I like the extra room. Yes you get what seems to be a bigger galley and fridge. I have 2- 1/2 size fridges and a big freezer so I feel like the extra space and not having the post in the middle of my living room works better for us and where is the dog to sleep without the 3rd bedroom? It also allows me to grab something quick from the galley and not take my eyes of the travel.
My suggestions would be to walk on many and do what best for you.
We have the 370 Yanmars I will take a picture of a list of rpms and fuel burn

Back
Top Bottom