Show your helm!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
img_284446_0_6634a0b72c53634cf73da3865d92f954.jpg
img_284446_1_591aa33eccad1ec51ee1d6c4876eaaf7.jpg
img_284446_2_8c607b743dd08c220d8bf464f5867240.jpg

Older pic before new electronics (below)

img_284446_3_d4cfdf400deba554c6feecdef6f4da02.jpg

Ok when I get back I need a helm pic and I will not photoshop like you guys

I've had it with you guys hiring Hollywood models to adorn your helms.

Here's mine.

Attachments

• mvArchimedes-Helm.jpg
    mvArchimedes-Helm.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 164
Sorry for the mess:

Attachments

• Helm1.jpg
    Helm1.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 166
  • Helm - Port side.jpg
    Helm - Port side.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 154
  • Helm - Starboard side.jpg
    Helm - Starboard side.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 993
A view of a fly birdge helm

Attachments

• P1050408.JPG
    P1050408.JPG
    137 KB · Views: 139
  • Pelican Bay Sunrise 5-30-2014 6-04-34 AM.JPG
    Pelican Bay Sunrise 5-30-2014 6-04-34 AM.JPG
    134.9 KB · Views: 121
  • Tween Water to RSW 6-2-2014 11-00-14 AM.JPG
    Tween Water to RSW 6-2-2014 11-00-14 AM.JPG
    144.7 KB · Views: 115
Compact and functional. The seat is a double and on port side there is a copilot station with room for charts and duplicate radio and chart plotter-radar for the Admiral. I have too wheels spoked and destroyer and its a quick change.

Attachments

• mr helm.jpg
    mr helm.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 126
  • wheel.jpg
    wheel.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 111
I directed the location of devices on the upper half of the panel.

img_284519_0_9706569c73d428c0c158b29d8738fd4c.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've noticed on several boats, especially Grand Banks, there's a brass or metal tube that runs from the middle of the lower helm up to the overhead. What is that?? is that just a cable run to the flybridge? Seems like it would be in the way, and kinda annoying.

After my recent mini refit I have old and new versions.

Attachments

• OLD.jpg
    OLD.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 165
  • New.jpg
    New.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 160
I've noticed on several boats, especially Grand Banks, there's a brass or metal tube that runs from the middle of the lower helm up to the overhead. What is that?? is that just a cable run to the flybridge? Seems like it would be in the way, and kinda annoying.

The tube or pipe is used for a chase for wiring and steering connections to the flybridge. Many older trawlers had chain and sprocket steering.

Don't need wheels. He probably has jog lever steering. Much easier than spinning helms even with power assist.

The wheel was off in that picture, but can be seen in the first pic. In practice, you are right -- we don't use the wheel, but use the AP rudder control instead. The boat has jog levers at 4 of its 6 stations (the wing stations on the Portuguese bridge, the tower and the cockpit -- wheels in the pilot house and on the fly bridge), and those are very convenient.

Last edited:
Have done an upgrade with new Laptop and Monitor since but the layout is the same.

Attachments

• Picture 018.jpg
    Picture 018.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 268
  • Picture 006.jpg
    Picture 006.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 253
Last edited:

That tube is where you yell your commands to the first mate when she's doing something wrong. Then you use it to bang your head against when she ignores your very accurate and specific commands.

Lower and upper helm. 99% of the time I'm at the lower helm. I get a better view of my admiral... not to mention keeping an eye on my favorite anchor and listening to the twins...

The tube is a cable run for flying bridge steering and engine controls. I don't notice that it's there anymore. I've been known to use it to hang on during abnormal rolling and pitching.

Attachments

• Helm3.jpg
    Helm3.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 147
  • Upper-Helm.jpg
    Upper-Helm.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
I like my Garmin better too.

That's my "fishfinder." Don't fish, but a large display showing the depths of the often shallow waters here is very helpful. (Recommended by my China-based builder who used to sail here.)

That's my "fishfinder." Don't fish, but a large display showing the depths of the often shallow waters here is very helpful. (Recommended by my China-based builder who used to sail here.)

I could use that! I'll trade you for a digital depth meter. Non-confusing, digital display with good contrast day and night.

Special deal....only for you, GI.

I could use that! I'll trade you for a digital depth meter. Non-confusing, digital display with good contrast day and night.

Special deal....only for you, GI.

Al, we can talk about it tomorrow over beer(s), but your chances of a trade at this point are zero.

Here's mine .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 139
Not a single piece of electronics, made this century.....Hopefully all upgraded soon.:facepalm:

img_284664_0_1e7882aeb9045f004b377d0a0f9e735b.jpg

img_284664_1_4eda0893b7ca40a423479f4ae4683b5c.jpg

I love looking at all the different Helm Layouts! We are looking at modifying ours to have a black helm face. Any suggestions on material to use or materials or surface texture to "Stay Away" from??

Norm Miller
Quiet Company
Great Harbour GH47

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

I love looking at all the different Helm Layouts! We are looking at modifying ours to have a black helm face. Any suggestions on material to use or materials or surface texture to "Stay Away" from??

Flat black is best for night vision. Mine is made from formica.

Home away from home.

Attachments

• Helm.jpg
    Helm.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 120
  • flybridge helm.jpg
    flybridge helm.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 115

Mine is also formica. Will probably do some upgrading next year. Have done some chanes this year and needed to make some cover and switch panels. 1/4" black starboard works very well for that.

Ted

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom