Hendo's Randall 35 Cray Boat complete rebuild, Perth, Western Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have been a lurker for about a year now. My good friend Art turned me onto this boat build to perk me up..... I can see that he is stirring the pot here as well ;) . I have read every word of all 68 pages. Good stuff.

This is an amazing, and ambitious project. Most guys would never have gotten started with anything this huge. The rest of them that got started would have lost steam long before this point. Props to you for all your efforts. The vast majority of boat guys can't tackle changing out there own engine. You are in an elite crowd. Keep going.

When you realized the hull was a bit wonky and would need to be redone, I could feel your pain and frustration half way around the world. I was sure that would be the end of AXE. Good on you for getting back to work at that point.

I have to admit that I got off the idea of a wood composite mix back in the 70's. I only work in plastics today. Materials were not nearly as good in the 70's as they are today for your chosen medium. The humid salt environment of the Hawaiian Islands made wood composite boats short lived, and they required tons of maintenance. I am not making any inference here, only justifying the warped reasoning for my life choice of boat building materials. I find that as the years drag on I have become morally apposed to wood in any form. I do love the way it looks however.

I find your approach to problem solving great, and a bit refreshing. I am 2 years into a major retrofit on a 26 foot diesel inboard sport fishing boat. There are days were the doom and gloom of the Pacific North West, and the size of my build get me down. It is nice to have a sneak peek into the life of another tortured soul, toiling away on his dream. It helps get me back out there on the boat to make some headway.... any headway..

The Tollycraft owners club was nice enough to make room for my boat build on their website. Being that I am not working on a Tollycraft this was darn sporting of them to do. If you are looking for some boat insanity that is completely different from what you are doing, you are welcome to have a look at what I am up to. It may pick you up at low points in your build.

Ill keep lurking with a new voice and resource here on the troller forum.

2660 Trophy with the 90 HP Nissan Diesel restoration

Keep up the good work.

Hello again,
Thank you for taking the time to read the thread and for finally saying hi :)

If you're a friend of Art's then you must be a top bloke so it's nice to meet you.

I'm glad my ramblings and going on have inspired you. I just hope you've learnt from my mistakes lol

I couldn't care any less if you're using Plastic fantastic or Timber or ferro or Ply composite mate. The fact is you've decided to grab an angry bull by the horns and go for a dance. I say that because mentally and physically that's how it feels haha.

I actually don't like lurking so I'm glad you came forward. It's all about giving and taking and learning from each other and coming up with solutions.

I used to post on another boat building forum but I wasn't "cool" I think and was getting no input and as a result, felt like I was just writing to myself. Art has been with me from day 1 and has given me the push I need as well as standing beside me to bash trolls. I have found TF to be a place of great knowledge but you have to filter through it tho to get that. Lots of suggestions do come if you ask.

My loyalty is with TF and will only post on here. That and is never have the time or energy to put as much as I don on this page to another. It's bloody hard work. Well for me it is anyway lol

Yeah I suspect like with everything, materials of today are more technology driven and there is an actually science behind it. Give it another 40 years and some daft fella will be doing the same thing as is and saying the same thing about ply composite boats lol.

I'm really really glad you came fwd and said hi so don't be shy or backwards in coming forwards.

I appreciate and value the input. I mightn't take what is said onboard but I would have considered it. The people on here have saved my arse and this project from failure many times (even tho some days we get a bit snarly at each other)

Thanks again mate.

Hendo ?

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Trawler Forum

The DFF1 is the sounder box so you can get depth, and the BBWGPS is the antenna that's gets you your position. You obviously don't have to add radar now, use the boat and see if it would useful enough to justify the cost.

G'day mate. The item in the below pic, is this for the rotating booms or do I need it for the radome too
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1416092960.578542.jpg

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

OMG, OMG!!

What have I done? What have I done?? - - > It’s alive… the two headed Boat Restoration Giant has joined forces!! IT Lives!! :hide: LOL

There’ll be no end to what type restoration magic and marvels can come into existence from this point onward. These two boat-resto maniacs = "Super Computer" inside The Boat Restoro-World. I suggest all fans and watchers (such as I) put on really good UV 400 sunglasses each time we visit any thread these guys started… Ever Brighter Lights Will Flash! :socool:

I've succeeded in bringing two boat rebuilding/restoration GIANTS together in communication (self-pat on the back! lol). Two men that hundreds idolize for their vim and vigor… not to mention gumption, stick-to-itiveness and sheer will of reaching completion on finely done projects. :thumb:

I adore their boat creations and will stay close as possible in watching all the magic they each perform on their chosen crafts. Reading their posts, as well as in-put posts carrying other fans recommendations, is a course in boat-resto magic that I've not experienced elsewhere. 1960's/70's when I worked on boats with experienced boatwrights in boatyards and a new boat builder in New England regions... I learned some magic then too... but... these guys are on magical-steroids! :rofl:

Get It On Guys!

It don’t get no better than this! Period! :D

Happy Boat-Life Daze! - Art :speed boat:

PS: I herein give a pronounced mention to Boat Restorer Emeritus – Handle, “Scary” (i.e. Steve) on TF. His resto on a mid-1950’s 57’ Chris Craft was also nothing short of magic. Moto, in addition to visiting http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s55/im-about-start-project-older-chriscraft-6833.html ... you might like to cruise into TF search feature and see other boat-magic Scary speaks about. That Chris-Resto was truly a great thread to follow; similar to you two’s threads, chock-a-block full of boat-resto miracles.

To all other boat-resto magic producing, endless energy persons; please forgive me for not mentioning your names/handles/projects. Do realize that my hat is off to you and your accomplishments too! :thumb:

Haha breathe Art ... Breathe hahaha

We are all a team on here mate. The attention may be on us but we didn't get where we are alone. It's people like you that help us, drive us and save our arses from mistakes.

Splicing that cable is a snap. Small epoxy lined crimp fittings work wonders. The only trick is the repair on the shielding. I have used a strip of aluminum foil coated in dielectric grease and healed on by epoxy coated shrink wrap. For 350$ its worth doing. Removing it from the ceiling may be a challenge but if you have a good bit on each end the middle can be fabricated for close to nothing.

I like it !

G'day mate. The item in the below pic, is this for the rotating booms or do I need it for the radome too
View attachment 34473

Yep that's for the radar, when you get a radar you'll have to make sure it's compatible for you specific radar.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I invested in the Lowrance HDS2 10 with the 3g ray dome, mated up with a 1kw Airmar 20/200 transducer. The radar right out of the box showed my surroundings very accurately with no tuning. ( I cant wait to try it on the water) I have it hooked up to a slave HDS2 7M display in the cockpit via a network box. No hassle at all. All in all I am impressed with the Lowrance performance for the price. I fish quite a bit on a boat with the Raymarine 70/80 system, and the Lowrance HDS systems, the Lowrance kick's the Raymarine around the deck on fish finder clarity, radar clarity, and accuracy on the GPS maps function. This is from using both systems side by side. We installed the Lowrance system as a back up, and it almost instantly became the primary tool.

Matt, I know that you have committed to a direction with your electronics, this just represents my experience. I have never used a Garmin or a Furuno system.

For deep salt water fishing the Airmar B260 transducer is a real work horse! I picked one up new from ebay for 250$ US. The plug was cut off, but that was no problem. Their customer service and support is great!

Lowrance just came out with an Auto pilot system for under 1000$ US that is complete. No need to buy a pump, or display to make it work. I will have that on the way in a few weeks. If auto pilot is on you list of stuff to get, Ill let you know how it works.

I know this sounds like a sales pitch, but I have had very good experiences with Lowrance/Simrad/Eagle...... Just never get into a warranty situation, or need to call them for help, because they suck at that!!!!

Yep that's for the radar, when you get a radar you'll have to make sure it's compatible for you specific radar.

Sorry I didn't completely answer your question, you'll have to ask Furuno if it's compatible.

I have always been impressed with the Lowrance range, and the ease of self-installation and user-friendly aspects. I had not heard about them bringing out an auto-pilot. Just as well I'm selling the boat, or I'd want it. Not having A/P was always one of my regrets.

Oh, yes, ok…calm down Pete. I see it's just for hydraulic or cable steered outboard driven boats up to 30ft. Thought that price a bit too good to be true.

Last edited:
Thanks for the warm welcome!

I invested in the Lowrance HDS2 10 with the 3g ray dome, mated up with a 1kw Airmar 20/200 transducer. The radar right out of the box showed my surroundings very accurately with no tuning. ( I cant wait to try it on the water) I have it hooked up to a slave HDS2 7M display in the cockpit via a network box. No hassle at all. All in all I am impressed with the Lowrance performance for the price. I fish quite a bit on a boat with the Raymarine 70/80 system, and the Lowrance HDS systems, the Lowrance kick's the Raymarine around the deck on fish finder clarity, radar clarity, and accuracy on the GPS maps function. This is from using both systems side by side. We installed the Lowrance system as a back up, and it almost instantly became the primary tool.

Matt, I know that you have committed to a direction with your electronics, this just represents my experience. I have never used a Garmin or a Furuno system.

For deep salt water fishing the Airmar B260 transducer is a real work horse! I picked one up new from ebay for 250$ US. The plug was cut off, but that was no problem. Their customer service and support is great!

Lowrance just came out with an Auto pilot system for under 1000$ US that is complete. No need to buy a pump, or display to make it work. I will have that on the way in a few weeks. If auto pilot is on you list of stuff to get, Ill let you know how it works.

I know this sounds like a sales pitch, but I have had very good experiences with Lowrance/Simrad/Eagle...... Just never get into a warranty situation, or need to call them for help, because they suck at that!!!!

G'day mate.
I'm shifting all over the place atm. One day it's this an the next its that. I purchased the Furuno RDP-149 this morning to serve as a chart plotter and radar so that's locked in and not changing. I will more than likely get the Lowrance HDS2 12 to serve as a fish finder/depth sounder and back up chart plotter. Are the Airmar's ok are they? I thought I read somewhere that they are crap?! ... If they are good then I'll add that to the option mix too.

Very interested to hear/read about the auto pilot system mate.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

G'day all.
This weekend I fitted the last of the hull sheets. I was running around roughing in the electrical wiring for the LED lights and the power points to be hooked up to the 240v inverter feed.

I also started to construct the fwd cabin roof structure and did a few little bits and pieces around the boat.

Back to work tomorrow so that's it for another week ??

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1416128196.177264.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1416128226.869366.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1416128260.312585.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1416128288.111430.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1416128315.742378.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1416128360.429290.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1416128446.020276.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1416128506.815104.jpg

Ambitious and Ambidextrous are the two words that come to mind most often when reading this and Motogizmo’s thread. ;)

Soooo… When I arose to work at 4:30 this morn (my au natural hour of waking) I’ve coined a new word.Here it is in a few of its tenses.Hope I spelled em correctly – LOL!!

Ambitdexterous / Ambitdextery / Ambitdexterously / Ambitdexterousness / Ambitdextronomy

Back ta work, now!! Bye, Bye… Have Great Day!! Art :D

Matt,

Making good headway. Do you have 5 day weekends down under...LOL.

In your picture of the forward cabin top it appears that the port side at the companion way slopes to the amidships. Is that an optical illusion?

I love the look of the blue pine, will it stay exposed in the final finish?

Robin

Hendo78

I have followed your thread and will continue to do. I admire you tenacity that get er done attitude, your ability to think outside the box. You are a refreshing guy in todays world!

Freedom ! Mate !

I just want to thank you for sharing your project. You have taught me a lot.

Matt,

Making good headway. Do you have 5 day weekends down under...LOL.

In your picture of the forward cabin top it appears that the port side at the companion way slopes to the amidships. Is that an optical illusion?

I love the look of the blue pine, will it stay exposed in the final finish?

Robin

G'day Robin
Is that the 3rd pic mate? Agreed it look like its on this piss but it's an illusion mate. That wall is plumb and parallel to the floor.

It's actually the shower that is tilted back to ensure water runoff along with the curvature of the tarp and my position when taking the pic that's is causing that illusion.

Good spotting mate ?

Last edited:
Hendo78

I have followed your thread and will continue to do. I admire you tenacity that get er done attitude, your ability to think outside the box. You are a refreshing guy in todays world!

Freedom ! Mate !

I just want to thank you for sharing your project. You have taught me a lot.

G'day mate.
Thank you for your kind words and for your support.

Matt you must know by now that the boaters up here in the frozen north are poring over your work...looking at every word and image as if we were sweating away with you. But no, we are freeze our bunns off wishing it was warm, and that it was time to get back to fixing up our babies.

I finally get to move my boat back into the warm and dry tomorrow. More work and less BS from me shortly! :0

Matt you must know by now that the boaters up here in the frozen north are poring over your work...looking at every word and image as if we were sweating away with you. But no, we are freeze our bunns off wishing it was warm, and that it was time to get back to fixing up our babies.

I finally get to move my boat back into the warm and dry tomorrow. More work and less BS from me shortly! :0

Lol you doing the refit on a full time basis or weekends like me?

The weather here at the moment is not as you're imagining mate.

When I was fitting the last of the hull sheets I thought I'd mix up the last of the bote-cote contractors grade (it's **** don't use it) and thickened it was some glue powder. The resin I used was tropical formula and was purchased around the Middle of last summer when it was bloody hot.

Over the weekend the temps got to mild winter averages and it stalled the resin. Three days later and it's still not set tho it has hardened a little. The whole lot has stalled. Hopefully come Saturday it'll have set but the forecast this week is for rain rain and more rain :-/

Time will tell

Lol you doing the refit on a full time basis or weekends like me?

The weather here at the moment is not as you're imagining mate.

When I was fitting the last of the hull sheets I thought I'd mix up the last of the bote-cote contractors grade (it's **** don't use it) and thickened it was some glue powder. The resin I used was tropical formula and was purchased around the Middle of last summer when it was bloody hot.

Over the weekend the temps got to mild winter averages and it stalled the resin. Three days later and it's still not set tho it has hardened a little. The whole lot has stalled. Hopefully come Saturday it'll have set but the forecast this week is for rain rain and more rain :-/

Time will tell

Matt, I am a weekend and after work kind of boat builder. I still need the job to buy the parts. When I quit drinking few years back I'd do some work on the boat every time I wanted a drink. At first a lot got done. Now it has slowed a bit. Some days I don't even look at the boat. That is what I think they call recovery.

The weather in Washington State has been in the teens and blowing like mad. We had 2 days of sustained winds over 60MPH with gusts up to 100MPH. it sucked. The days are short now with only about 9 hours of usable daylight.

I see you working under tarps...man that is roughing it. More power to you, my days of working on boats out in this crud are over!!!!!!! That is the beauty of these boating sites.....we feel great about each others victory's, and we know we are not alone when it is going badly. You are just a few clicks away from someone who give a rip about what you are doing. Most of the people in my life think I am just wasting money and wondering when she will be done so they can go fishing on her.

Matt, I am a weekend and after work kind of boat builder. I still need the job to buy the parts. When I quit drinking few years back I'd do some work on the boat every time I wanted a drink. At first a lot got done. Now it has slowed a bit. Some days I don't even look at the boat. That is what I think they call recovery.

The weather in Washington State has been in the teens and blowing like mad. We had 2 days of sustained winds over 60MPH with gusts up to 100MPH. it sucked. The days are short now with only about 9 hours of usable daylight.

I see you working under tarps...man that is roughing it. More power to you, my days of working on boats out in this crud are over!!!!!!! That is the beauty of these boating sites.....we feel great about each others victory's, and we know we are not alone when it is going badly. You are just a few clicks away from someone who give a rip about what you are doing. Most of the people in my life think I am just wasting money and wondering when she will be done so they can go fishing on her.

Hi mate,
I'm a weekender too! Well the big stuff on AXE is on the weekend with the smaller stuff at home. I'd love to have AXE at home but there is no room. I pay rent weekly on the space for AXE but there's no way around it.

Yeah under tarps, on top of tarps, in tarps lol. I bloody hate the things. So frickin hot under them and it's coming on to summer! Yaay ?

I've drawn on a lot of kind words of support to get me through some days when I just wanted to throw a match at her! Flic has been my number 1 supporter. She never really saw what I saw till now but she remained supportive and defended me when my friends say how mad I am for doing this. That is another driver too, I don't want to let Flic down and have her lose face in front of everyone she defended me against.

One step and a time and one day I'll get her finished.

Greetings,
Mr. H. Admirable job. Stand by Flic and get some new friends. The one's you have sound like boat pagans. Ever heard the story of the Little Red Hen?

Greetings,
Mr. H. Admirable job. Stand by Flic and get some new friends. The one's you have sound like boat pagans. Ever heard the story of the Little Red Hen?

And not to mention 'it's all about the the journey, not the destination'

The progress is there, Axe looks like a boat, may she soon float. Congratulations, Matt and Flic.

Hi all,
Hope y'all had some yummy Food and spent time with loved ones.

I test fitted the helm. Came up a treat I reckon. I also continued on the fwd cabin roof by installing the bulkhead and did some light wiring.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1417178222.980031.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1417178265.009056.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1417178294.085199.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1417178330.825922.jpg

Looking good bud. You need to get her finished so you can start on the 45 footer you already thinking about lol

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom