View Single Post
Old 11-15-2014, 05:05 PM   #22
dannc
Guru

City: NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood8118 View Post
The problem with most of the long skinny "passage makers" is that most are good for only that.. they make lousy liveaboards once you get to that far off destination. I have been on a number of Diesel Ducks and most have lousy decks to spend time on.. sure they are one of the most fuel efficient voyagers out there but no above deck comfort whatsoever. One I was aboard had those cheap white plastic walmart chairs.. that was it. Some of the best boats, in my opinion allow the occupants to sit on deck either under cover or in the open to enjoy the view of the places you spent so much time and money to get to see.

We have two or three Ducks here in our local marinas and they are well put together and impressive boats.. but still above deck comfort is a distant after thought. I also like the catamaran idea as they are the most roll friendly designs available and do not need any roll control.

HOLLYWOOD
The older Duck have pretty bad aft deck sitting areas. Heck, lets be real, they have no aft deck sitting areas. But the latest Seahorse Ducks have a very nice covered cockpit aft of the pilot house. One guy fell asleep stretched across the cock pit on a short trip we did last spring which impressed me since the guy is about 6'2".

The Ducks with a fly bridge have even more outside sitting areas but some owners do not want the fly bridge for a variety of reasons. Personally, I would want the fly bridge since it makes using the boat in shallow water safer and it gives you yet more time to be outside the boat to enjoy good weather.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote