Solar Rail light and bracket for less than $7.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mule

Guru
Vessel Name
Florita Ann
Vessel Make
1982 Present
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1416084883.197627.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1416084906.240555.jpg

Ok folks, I have named this system the Obama Boat Solar Rail Rail Lighting System in honor of our current President.

Here are the particulars:

Lowes SKEW. 0 25528 76171 4. 0 25528 14166 0 those are the PVC skews. The green stuff you see is 2 sided tape with the wax paper left on on the outside to tighten up the 3/4 outside clamp on the stainless stanchion. The lights have the stalk removed and discarded then the base of the light plugs into the 90 angle PVC threaded fitting. The lights I have were $2.98, The PVC around $2.50, then there is the tape.

The naming was just a little humor to show all of us have good ideas sometimes. This is a good idea and deal. Similar lights for boats cost $30 and up.

The mounted pictures did not up load, using the App. I will try to fix or post the pix.

Last edited:
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1416086255.073671.jpg

There

Mule, you should return it to Lowe's....it's crooked.

Just kidding. That's a good idea. Is the base on the light fixture threaded or just round? Did you fasten it in with any glue or sealant or anything?

Just add 2x sided tape, leaving the outside wax paper on the contact surface and stainless. You want both snug but to adjust with ease. Stick it together when you need to layer.

Throw away the stalk that comes with it.

Last edited:
Excellent economical alternative, Mule!:thumb:

I have put them in my rail mount fishing rod holders for years. If you have them in your yard at home they are handy to bring inside at night in a power outage, for long term outages put them back outside during the day to rechage. keep in mind for Hurricane season.

Folks anchored in places where the fishing fleet leaves early will usually install a half dozen.

Even tho some fish killers are seeing double at that hour..

Many lawn lights will not stay on till dawn , unless the batterys are upgraded.

An approved anchor light is still required to stay legal..

Yeah, I have used them in rod holders. This is no more a replacement for an anchor light with these brackets than if they were in rod holders. These are really good for lighting up your decks, the finger pier and if anchored to increase visibility to other boaters. Thing is, this is soooooo cheap, easy and movable in seconds once the brackets are adjusted with the 2x tape. Not true with rod holder system.

We have some that came with the boat that are marine specific that sell for $30 or $35 each. The brackets are an engineers dream, complicated with specialized, non replaceable lights, non replacable batteries and various tightening adjustments with machine screws going into molded in brass screw incerts. These do exactly the same thing and better + you cannot hardly even replace the batteries for the price of a new light that stuffs right in.

I could not find those SKEW#'s on the Lowes web site. So I called Lowes customer service and they could not find them either. Are there item #'s instead?

Perhaps, I took the numbers off the pieces under the skew lines. I think I got them right.

We used solar lights in Mexico all the time. Panga fisherman don't look up and if they did your anchor light looks just like another star. Be visible, be safe.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom