Resale value

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm thinking of keeping the boat at either the Sinclair or city of Port Orchard Marina. Both are nice and close enough for commute to work.
Budget for boat would be around $2,200 per month, all inclusive. Payment, moorage, ins, maintain, fuel, utilities, laundry, storage. I think I ought to be able to do this for that amount. Of course, could always be more, maybe less.
Agree?

Last edited:
I'm thinking of keeping the boat at either the Sinclair or city of Port Orchard Marina. Both are nice and close enough for commute to work.
Budget for boat would be around $2,200 per month, all inclusive. Payment, moorage, ins, maintain, fuel, utilities, laundry, storage. I think I ought to be able to do this for that amount. Of course, could always be more, maybe less.
Agree?

Do you have a means of financing other than a boat loan?

The past is not a prolog to the future , so while Inflation is common in most folks memory , all the QE the USA and world is producing has not raised inflation up to 2%.

DEFLATION is a horror for most in debt govs , and seems to be on the horizon.

Beware,, money can have higher value , so payments become more difficult.

As a new toy you may be tempted to >make it your own<.

Before the Sawsall tune up ,try living with what exists , it worked for decades , so give yourself a chance to understand why it exists.

The other big danger is Toy Time,,, ,purchasing thousands of dollars of new stuff , because it feels like you have advanced just purchasing the stuff.

Hold off , again for a year if you can, to see what works (for you) , what doesnt and then only purchase an item AFTER the first purchase is installed and operating.

Last edited:
Jda55

I think with the right boat that budget would be fine

I have not financed anything in so long I would have no idea what is reasonable to finance

keep us informed on your plans and progress

It's why we got into flying a floatplane up and down the Inside Passage countless times when we it would have been easy to talk ourselves out of spending the money. It's why we got into going to the UK every other year to run a narrowboat on the canals when it would have been easy to talk ourselves out spending the money. It's why we bought our diesel cruiser 16 years ago, when it would have been easy to talk ourselves out of spending the money. And our lives have been vastly enriched by the experiences we've had doing these things.

Anyone that flies a floatplane has got it dialed in :thumb:

Seriously, you cannot look at buying a boat, plane, or sportscar as an investment...period. They are pleasure toys to enrich your living experience and to thin your wallet. I prefer to keep the thinning to a minimum but it is required with anything fun. That is why you buy something at the bottom of the depreciation curve. Not to create investment opportunity but to minimize loss. Invest your money into other assets that will appreciate.

I absolutely hate the fact that my and the next generation use the acronym YOLO for You Only Live Once. What the hell has anybody under the age of 40 done with themselves recently? You don't see many of these people on adventurous journeys...they think the greatest thing in life is a killer Facebook post. Purchase a boat with a great financial strategy but don't view it negatively if you lose some money...you'll have much better photos and stories to tell down the road.

Seriously, if anyone needs someone to sit right seat in a float plane...I will donate my time :socool:

Well, this is what the Inside Passage looks like from the left seat.....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 136
JDA you need to check on financing immediately. In the price range you mention anything large enough to live on is going to be an older boat and financing an older boat may not be as available as you think. Plus many lenders will not loan for a live aboard boat, they want you to have a more permanent address.

I was able to get financing on a 79' as a liveaboard...a very tough thing to do with most conventional financing. Shoot me a PM and I can send you the lender I used if interested.

Met a lender at Seattle boat show that would finance older boats. When the time comes, I'll try him first.

Looks terrible, I feel bad for you...

Floatplanes: Combing two of my favorite hobbies together :D

Thread hijack but since we're here....

Some other photos from our trips. These were all made from 35mm slides so the quality sucks.

The shot of the 180 on the beach is from our honeymoon deep in the BC Coast Range. This plane was fitted with the Continental IO-520 used in the 206 with the fuel injection system replaced with a carburetor. So it had 260 continuous power as opposed to the C180's normal 230.

The great thing about the Beaver is how much it can carry. In the photo of us unloading the plane, we didn't bring the skiff with us, but we did bring the outboard.

The second photo I use as an illustration of the danger of glassy water landings--- how high is the plane off the water?

Third photo is my wife fishing for Dolly Varden in one of the lakes we often visited.

Fourth shot is pulling the plane out at Ketchikan.

The doorway shot is chipping ice of a little iceberg to put in our cooler.

If you're interested in floatplanes, I wrote a pretty thorough (260 pages) instructional book that came out in 1985. It went through three editions before going out of print in the 2000s. The photo is the cover of the second edition. You can still find it used. The third edition includes chapters on flying a turbine floatplane and basic maintenance.

Attachments

• P1050566.jpg
    P1050566.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 173
  • P1050572.jpg
    P1050572.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 168
  • P1050582.jpg
    P1050582.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 185
  • P1050564.jpg
    P1050564.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 179
  • P1050556.jpg
    P1050556.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 164
  • P1050573.jpg
    P1050573.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 169
  • P1050553.jpg
    P1050553.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 172
  • BookCover.jpg
    BookCover.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:
Hi All!

First post but have been lurking. Hope it's OK to revive this old thread.

I'm looking to buy a boat in and live aboard instead of renting an apartment. Seems quite feasible to do ok with this.

I'm curious about this: "Buy a desirable, quality boat of limited production"

What brand/model of Trawler or motor yacht would be best for living aboard and considered "desirable, quality boat of limited production"

Thanks!
Bryan

I agree completely...Buy a quality boat, do quality modifications, keep it detailed and maintained and the loss, if any, will be minimal.

Buy a desirable, quality boat of limited production
Care for it lovingly
Sell it fairly when it's time to go

You'll have no regrets ($$) in the end as the experiences during ownership will (hopefull) be priceless...

I'm about to do the same again with my pending Cape Dory 28 purchase..

Bryan,

Welcome aboard. I would not be as concerned about a limited production quality boat as I would be concerned about a boat that meets your needs and is in good condition. First decide what you want and need. Look at a lot of boats. Walk the docks and make some friends that will show you their boat. Make a list of your wants and needs and decide what is most important to you. Then look for that in a boat. Good luck.

Reactions: BBB
People have problems being subjective about their needs. Get them all mixed up w wants. Everything in boating is usually arrived at w heavy doses of subjectivity.

Start w anchors.

Check availability of dockage and the cost before you buy your boat. Not all marinas allow liveaboards. Maybe buying a boat with a transferable slip would be better than a boat alone.

Realistically, any pre-owned fiberglass boat will, with proper maintenance, hold its value in the short term. Rare marques will appeal to a limited number of buyers; better to seek out a major manufacturer. Inexperienced owners should avoid wood or steel like the plague.

Living aboard is becoming increasingly desirable in the Bay Area as rents skyrocket. You could find a fixer-upper and make do as a "harbor queen" liveaboard or you could look for something that's ready to actually use as a boat. Beware of the former; there are untold numbers of boats advertised as "liveaboards" that are floating trash heaps previously owned by clueless owners. Some of these are worse than a free boat as you are liable for pollution cleanup and fines if the old scow sinks or leaks fuel or oil, and disposing of such a boat is expensive. But there are lots of decent, affordable fiberglass boats that can be lived aboard and still have value as a recreational vessel. The most common mistake is probably starting too big; it's not a scientific fact, but the costs of ownership seem to follow something like a logarithmic scale as vessel length increases.

I lived aboard a 28 foot sailboat for years, a fair amount of that time with my wife. It was small, sure, but really had all the space we needed. You could get into something like that for very little money and easily sell it years later for what you paid.

With the money you would use to buy a boat, why don't you put a deposit down on an apartment and use what you are paying in rent on the mortgage. Start with an appreciating asset. Then look to a boat when you feel you are better to afford it.

Others will argue that if you want until you can afford a boat you will never buy one! I disagree, there are too many boats sitting wasting away in marinas because their owners can't or won't afford to run them.

The first question I'd ask is whether the manufacturer is still in business. Some boat brands seem to have acquired a a reputation for quality and have a loyal owner following. A few that come to mind in the "affordable" range are Tiara, Ocean Alexander and Grand Banks (no wood). They all have positive "rep"...at least on the Great Lakes. Good bones.

Your abilities will be key to maint costs.

On most live aboards the engines do fine if pickeled for non use for months on end.

The equipment like HW heaters or water pumps can be the expense , a water pump may be $125 for an OK unit , no big deal, unless its $250 for the yard to wander down and change it for you..

Most boat repair is R&R , if you can do much of the work , even though you may have to ask a neighbor HOW? , the costs will be reasonable.

Life was cheap when I lived on a 34’ sail boat. Life was no longer cheap when I moved on to a 42’ power boat, it was about equal to throwing away money on an apartment. Life on a 54’ power boat cost way more than renting a 3 bedroom apartment. Life on a 34’ sail boat was not as comfortable as living in an apartment. Life on a 42’ power boat was the same comfort as an apartment. Life on a 54’ power boat is more comfortable than an apartment but not by much.

Since I have always owned a boat, life is much cheaper living on a boat compared to living in an apartment and owning a boat. I took that extra savings and bought an apartment building.

Thank you all for the advice!! Some highlights and responses as well as some additional advice requested:

Realistically, any pre-owned fiberglass boat will, ... hold its value in the short term.... Inexperienced owners should avoid wood or steel like the plague. I lived aboard a 28 foot sailboat for years... It was small... but really had all... we needed. You could get into something like that for very little money and easily sell it years later for what you paid.

Solid advice, thank you. A Sailboat seems a bit small, but I'd also love to learn to sail and the idea of being able to go places for "free" (wind power) is quite appealing. Something I'm considering. I know more about powered boats than sailboats though.

With the money you would use to buy a boat, why don't you put a deposit down on an apartment and use what you are paying in rent on the mortgage. Start with an appreciating asset.

In San Francisco? Just the deposit on a $1M+ one-bedroom apartment (and that's a "cheap" one!) at 20% down is $200k. Not to mention what that monthly mortgage payment is. Will it appreciate much more? Seems we've hit another peak, but maybe not. High risk, low reward, IMO.

Life was cheap when I lived on a 34’ sail boat. Life was no longer cheap when I moved on to a 42’ power boat, it was about equal to throwing away money on an apartment. Life on a 54’ power boat cost way more than renting a 3 bedroom apartment.

In San Francisco? Would have to be an epic boat to be cheaper than a 3-bedroom apartment here!

There was a Kadey Krogen 42 for sale recently in Sausalito. The boat was terribly underpriced but you know, it's a Krogen - so I called. The broker was very honest and let me know the boat was essentially nothing but deferred maintenance, so much so that it was no longer economically viable to return her to service. The vessel was being sold as-is, where is.

The value in the listing was the transferable, live-aboard slip.

Rents and homes in the Bay and Valley are insane. Living aboard, assuming you can find a slip, in a boat like a KK42 would be a cool life; waterfront and weekend trips with friends. And hey, you could bring it up to Seattle or Alaska or down to Mexico when your ready for a change.

Certainly more fun than a $4500/mo one bedroom in San Jose! Many older trawlers have reached the end of their depreciation curve so while you won't make any money, you might not loose too much when you sell.

Good luck, ask for advice and enjoy the process.

Have you actually investigated the availability of slips, and liveaboard slips specifically, in the Bay Area? Good luck with that!

All good points, but money, inflation, values, etc., are just really abstract thoughts of man, and are 100% subjective. The ONLY thing thats factual is time. That nobody knows how much they have left until the second it's up, and all the money, investments and other man made concepts can't help you get time back, nor anymore of it.
Go look in the mirror and see it's trail. Time wasted worrying and waiting for more of the other is literally time lost. As a broker for 40 years now, the saddest thing I regularly see is guys dieing before they ever did anything. Spent their whole lives talking about buying a sportscar, buying a boat (even a small one) riding a motorcycle across the country, traveling, ="when I retire, kids get out of college, win the lotto, wife gets her knees fixed, my health gets better" and did NONE. Of course the widows usually do-with a younger more fun guy who will gladly help her spend 'Bob's money'. Of course I realize it's lots easier to dream than do (buying toys and making decisions is a lot of work) but it seems like a waste to me. Better to be an active hobo than a sedentary rich guy "counting one's beans".

Im new to the forum and this is an old post but it rings true to me.... ive been a gold prospector for 10 yrs and a travel nurse for the VA for 6 mos a yr. When im not working im going to Australia to chase gold or the Philippines to see my friend, or hopefully this year going to SE AK to cruise around POW and other areas in a used trawler... Actively looking now..

AND as a side note: when i get done with toys i have used and then decided to move on... i love to give them away to a deserving individual who just couldnt get it on their own--- but has a very enthusiastic love for whatever hobby it is at that time...I get paid way more in personal happiness than I ever would get in money.... Blessed by the best so i like to bless others like I have been... Cheers mates

"Don't let the old man in" Toby Keith... Clint Eastwood

Nice!!!

I love to hear all the float planes leaving Juneau or Anchorage -- Love those engines!!

Im new to the forum and this is an old post but it rings true to me.... ive been a gold prospector for 10 yrs and a travel nurse for the VA for 6 mos a yr. When im not working im going to Australia to chase gold or the Philippines to see my friend, or hopefully this year going to SE AK to cruise around POW and other areas in a used trawler... Actively looking now..

AND as a side note: when i get done with toys i have used and then decided to move on... i love to give them away to a deserving individual who just couldnt get it on their own--- but has a very enthusiastic love for whatever hobby it is at that time...I get paid way more in personal happiness than I ever would get in money.... Blessed by the best so i like to bless others like I have been... Cheers mates

"Don't let the old man in" Toby Keith... Clint Eastwood

I'd forget the gold in aussie dream and stick to reality - your 'friend' in the P.I. sounds much more fun !!!

I'd forget the gold in aussie dream and stick to reality - your 'friend' in the P.I. sounds much more fun !!!

A dream realized--

but time to move on to SE AK and get some of that Alaskan gold: dungees, and halibut!!!

Philippines is always a go... lol

Attachments

• 7vJZTevnRICUoiLQo2pkOQ.jpg
    7vJZTevnRICUoiLQo2pkOQ.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 56
  • %29BAto8TfCT9zLWgoXDig.jpg
    %29BAto8TfCT9zLWgoXDig.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 56
  • FjtgAlhmRPiMHWShPVSv2Q.jpg
    FjtgAlhmRPiMHWShPVSv2Q.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 54
  • kErTmYooRvCslHuBqJ4dPg.jpg