Any Regrets?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
boat = investment

Well, not always. Let's say you buy an older boat for $100,000 and put -- oh say -- another $200K into it in repairs, upgrades or a complete refit. When you're done the boat might be worth in the neighborhood of $120K. A nice increase in the original cost. Wait, am I missing something here?

I will admit it right out front. I did not read all the posts so this could be a repeat. You are unlikely to find a significant sample of the population that had regrets. Many of Those who have gone back to house dwelling are probably not nessaseraly on this site. Its a little like asking what is the best boat sail ,high speed planning hull, or trawler. Why ask it here. A inquiry good or bad is best pointed in the right direction if a meaningful answer is expected.

Kevin-good points, most of which we have discovered as well. But you forgot the key point-Your boat moves when and where you want it to and a house doesn't.

Which is exactly why the admrial and I are driving the Southern California coast in December. We are looking at and considering where we want to move our "second home" to.

This has been an idea that the Admrial is just starting to really grasp.

She wants a second home somewhere warm. She has been used to thinking of our boat as well, a boat. This comes from our Cabin Cruiser days. I have been saying all along that we have a second home, one we can move on a whim.

So, Yes I agree completely!

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently read a magazine article about this very thing. The point of the article was, it's a bad idea to sell everything and move aboard a boat. The reason being that at some point in our lives we will no longer be able to handle the physical requirements of boating and we may need to be closer to medical care. I think the author makes a good point. We will all either die at sea or move back ashore.

The suggestion was to maintain a small home on land in an area close to shopping and medical care and rent it out until the time comes when you or your partner can no longer handle living on the boat. You will have income while you are boating and a place to come back to for your final years. No moving in with children or living in a small apartment in a bad part of town.

Excellent points Ron. That's what I'd do if I was going to upsize, and spend more time afloat. Being a quack, I'm all to often reminded of the frailty of human life, and how unexpected the turns of life often are...

Probably my only regret is that I didn't do it much sooner ( we live on ours about 50% of the time)

Our Grown Children really enjoy visiting us while we are on the boat

I have to confess, my comments on this thread are related to MY and the Admiral's decision to sell our business, our home and move on our boat and sail away. We have gone through all of the "what if's" and "does it make sense". Well there are a lot of "what if's" as there are in life, and it probably doesn't make sense. We spend our lives limiting as much as we can the "what if's" so it goes against our grain to put ourselves in a position of limitless "what if's". But that is the exiting part, life has become a sort of a drudge, in that we have been pretty successful at controlling what comes into our lives and planning for the outcome. Our friends are of mixed opinion's. Some question our "throwing reason to the wind" frame of mind. Other's are exited, because they have come aboard for a week or so sailing with us and now they realize no matter where we are they are welcome aboard. Built in and cheap vacation for them. Our kids are supportive but apprehensive. They question "Dad can you do this". They know me the best. I have gone to school and gotten my Captains license, gone to diesel mechanics school to relieve them of their apprehension. Now they are exited to visit. We own a large heated storage unit so there is no problem with storing some of our important land processions for what reason I don't know other than we have things that were passed down to us from my parents and grandparents and great grandparents that will pass on down to my kids. So I can't divest myself of those things.
When I looked at retirement, I didn't think I would ever retire, I am a work-a-holic and loved what I did, so I didn't see retirement in my future. Now I do, living and cruising on our boat is a full time job. Our goal is long range, Mexico, Caribbean and South America is in our future. Why because we "bare boated" in those regions and experienced them and love it.
We have worked hard to become financially able to do this, my granddaughter has her real estate license and is going to manage our rental properties. She has volunteered to go to our post office box and get our mail once a week and scan to us the important things. So we are ready to do this until we are physically unable to do it any longer. Then we will kick one of our renters out and move into one of our rentals. Have we missed anything? I think not. I have no regrets, only a great anticipation to this January when we will physically move from land to the water.
Our decision on a boat is one that can go anywhere in the world and the biggest we could afford. We did not want to buy a less expensive boat and refit it, we bought the biggest boat we could afford that had everything we needed to cruise where we wanted to go and beyond.
It is interesting to read the other comments and views. It seems there are people that use their boats for second homes, others are marina dwellers mostly, and a few cruisers, but it seems like there are fewer of the later in this thread. It makes no difference who you are, and your reasons, you are on the water and that is where I have found the most peace, experiencing the moods of the water while on a boat and being influenced by it. I feel the most alive when there and that is where I have chosen to live out the rest of my life whether it makes sense or not, it's a life choice.
Is this for everyone? NO! I have friends that would never survive. One close friend went with us for the year and a half we spent looking at boats and went as a potential buyer also. The plan was for both of us to buy boats and cruise together. They backed out and bought a condo in Palm Desert CA. on a golf course. They discovered it just wasn't them. The condo on the golf course was more their style. But they love to visit the boat for a week or so. Another friend and his wife moved on a boat after a while she moved back on land, he stayed on the boat. So goes life. So I guess if you are not suited for the boating lifestyle you will have regrets and move back to land. So the most important question is to look introspective at yourself and ask, "is this me?". Can I be happy on the water in a boat? Trading friends, family and the comforts of a land based house for a small in comparison boat and what comes with it. It seems like most of the maintenance falls on me and I have tinkered with mechanical things all my life. My boat has so many different systems that need constant maintenance it will keep me busy, which I need to be. So it works. And by the way my wife is anxious to learn so while I do maintenance she is there learning. So again you need to go through the retrospective phase asking yourself the hard questions and as a couple, can you live 24/7 with each other in a relative small space sometimes under stress (weather, system breakdowns, meeting new people, never in one place etc.). it's up to you to know yourself and as a couple. The only way to know "if there will be any regrets". Someone famous said "know thyself..."

Great, meaningful posts! Fascinating conversation. There is, however, one class of boat owner you haven't heard from, and that's the owner who does nothing but work on his boat..., me, for example. After you answer the questions that have been asked, make darned sure that you are out there ENJOYING your vessel for the great living facilitator it can be.

I'm stuck on the hard here in Indiantown, FL, finishing a list of projects that will never end unless I end it. The boats I see that are great living facilitators take all shapes, sizes and conditions, but the ones that are out there living it are in a big hurry to get hauled, do the work, and then get back in splashed and on their way. Since I arrived here three months ago, I've seen dozens pulled and splashed for exactly that urgency. Meanwhile, I'm adding to my projects instead of living the life my boat was designed to facilitate. Regrets, well there you go. My regret is that I got lost in making my boat what I thought I wanted before I ever gave it a chance to be itself.

Last edited:
........ My regret is that I got lost in making my boat what I thought I wanted before I ever gave it a chance to be itself.

The bad news is that you will never be done. The good news is the realization that you will never be done. This can be your motivator to go now.
Make your boat safe, your engines reliable and everything else can be done along the way. Projects never end. Quit making excuses to stay behind. Just do it.

The bad news is that you will never be done. The good news is the realization that you will never be done. This can be your motivator to go now.
Make your boat safe, your engines reliable and everything else can be done along the way. Projects never end. Quit making excuses to stay behind. Just do it.

Tony the reality is that Bucky is no more real than a unicorn. The whole thing has been a big PhotoShop hoax produced by HH. Don't get sucked in on his scheme.;):D

Tony the reality is that Bucky is no more real than a unicorn. The whole thing has been a big PhotoShop hoax produced by HH. Don't get sucked in on his scheme.;):D

:thumb::thumb:LOLROF......I hope my Admiral never discovers that. She thinks I'm over here in Indiantown working on the boat.

Larry
I think you are doing what you love and love what your doing . If you are out there cruising where would we get our ideas and details for our own projects ?

Larry
I think you are doing what you love and love what your doing . If you are out there cruising where would we get our ideas and details for our own projects ?

You may have a point there, but it is an honest to goodness regret that I get wrapped up in project distractions guaranteed to take time and opportunity from enjoying the water. I'm an engineer, and that's the way I've done most anything. Now I'm an old, creaky engineer that still enjoys problem solving, but I'd rather be solving more of the problems like "what cocktail to enjoy on the veranda before dinner".:banghead:

Yes, I forgot about his skills. Thanks.
I did do some detective work though and Bucky does actually exist. Here is the un-photoshopped version.
He could turn his skills into a moneymaker but that does not come without risk. :rofl:

Attachments

• P5040003.jpg
    P5040003.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 112
Lived aboard full time for 12 years. Bought a house 6.5 years ago. It is for sale so we can do it again.

But, sometimes I wish that I had been better at golf when I was in my 20's and 30's. I probably would not have taken up yachting and would be rich.

Last edited:
We have a contract on the house in New Jersey closing in Dec. Also closing on the much smaller place in Delaware City De. in Dec. Step 1 of our downsizing is almost complete. No regrets so far. :)

Last edited:
Heal-why don't you just photoshop in all the projects and improvements you want, make some nice big prints, get out there and cruise, and show everyone the prints and tell them that is what your boat will look like one day! Over a cold drink of course.

We moved aboard half time in 1999. In 2003 we did a trial run to see if we really wanted to be full time cruisers, sold our dirt home after cruising full time for 6 months. In 2008, we purchased a condo where we wanted to be when we could no longer cruise/live aboard. We are in our early 70's and cruise 8 or 9 months a year. Love the lifestyle and are convinced it has kept us in better physical and mental conditions than our shore bound friends. We intend to live this lifestyle for as long as our health allows. No Regrets!!!

Yes, I forgot about his skills. Thanks.
I did do some detective work though and Bucky does actually exist. Here is the un-photoshopped version.
He could turn his skills into a moneymaker but that does not come without risk. :rofl:

Maybe so, but with my spiffy Manatee Cuddy Kit, I can feel like I'm a real TF cruiser!

WOW!
Cant wait to ask to admiral if she wants to cruise economically on this baby.
It's a lifestyle changer.
Thanks.

Healhustler

should I start taking orders here at the marina?

We own 2 homes in the Tampa Bay area, 1 home in Miami and waterfront property on the Bras d'Or lake in Cape Breton (with a mooring offshore in front of the property).

Our plan is to live aboard most of the year. Sell the Miami home and 1 tampa bay home. Keep the Nova Scotia waterfront for the cabin and the mooring and hold onto the last tampa home for when we feel like being on the hard in warm weather.

We feel its the best way to enjoy the live aboard dream but maintain an occasional escape.

Mick, that sounds really nice

The Bras d'Or Lake region I'm not familiar with, but the gulf is beautiful. I used to teach windsurfing during a few summers in high school, and man, that water could get so nice & warm. Thanks for bringing the Cape Breton memories back!

and waterfront property on the Bras d'Or lake in Cape Breton (with a mooring offshore in front of the property).

Do you know my brother-in-law's boatyard in Baddeck? Cape Breton Boat Yard.

Mick your a lucky guy.
If I were you I'd pick the house you will be most comfortable to retire in, rent out the others through an agency to give you a steady income and meanwhile let your assets appreciate, speak to an accountant for the best tax free deal.
Buy yourself a 57' Nordhavn and just keep going South till the butter melts, the worlds your oyster so enjoy it while you have the health.
You may consider it prudent to visit the Grand Cayman islands on your journey and form a property company.
Many of us have a great cruising life with much less, we have a healthy life with freedom and contentment worth more than any man's portfolio.
The best of Irish Good Luck to you, just go for it.

Regarding the "investment" question around home ownership and that a home is an investment and a boat is not...one needs to consider historical data. True costs of home ownership (taxes, insurance, repairs, interest, etc) drastically reduces any real appreciation. There are many studies out there that show that home ownership does not keep pace with the S&P. Granted there are a few exceptions to this, but for the most of us, we are not keeping up with other investment opportunities. The big benefit of home ownership is forced savings. Granted we need a place to live...but personally I would not choose to not take the plunge of living aboard due to investment potential in a dirt based home..... Once the kiddos are out of school we intend to give the lifestyle a try! Cheers!!

Updating the "any regrets" thread

Hello all; our house sale should close next week. We have the movers and the one way rental truck lined up. We will be giving lots of things to the kids and putting the rest in a small self storage unit. Downsizing mania has been going on for a long time.
Our plan is to get a rental car and drive to Florida with our cat and dog to look at some older Nordhavn 47s.
Any one out there who moved aboard full time that regretted their decision?
I am nervous now that we are close to buying a boat and living aboard.
Any thoughts? I wake up at night wondering should we just buy a waterfront condo instead and travel?
I hope these doubts are normal...

Hello all; our house sale should close next week. We have the movers and the one way rental truck lined up. We will be giving lots of things to the kids and putting the rest in a small self storage unit. Downsizing mania has been going on for a long time.
Our plan is to get a rental car and drive to Florida with our cat and dog to look at some older Nordhavn 47s.
Any one out there who moved aboard full time that regretted their decision?
I am nervous now that we are close to buying a boat and living aboard.
Any thoughts? I wake up at night wondering should we just buy a waterfront condo instead and travel?
I hope these doubts are normal...

Sure- they are absolutely normal. You're stepping out into the realm of the "safe zone"

"Safe Zone"- the opinions that others give you when they have no skin in the game.
  • You take their advice- they're safe
  • You don't take their advice- they're safe
  • you ignore them- they're safe.

I say go for it. To me, the worst thing you can have is the unrealized dream- I'd never want to look back 10 years from now and say, "I wish I would have......."

No regrets here. We hosted a dinner party last evening for 7 friends, and discussed this very subject at length. There were owners of power and sailboats, and vessels from 42' to 60' represented- and all liveaboards.

The consensus- no regrets. The challenges are different, but it's a simple shift in attitude that makes or breaks you.

I am heartened! Thank you.
My husband is 69 and I am 62, both in good health. It will be great to have another wonderful chapter. Next May our son graduates college and our daughter gets married: good to think there are adventures out there for us still.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom