Sap stains on paintwork

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phil23

Vessel Name
MV Unique
Vessel Make
Salthouse Coastal 35
After drilling plug and screw holes in my hardwood (not Teak) belting and transom caps I have ended up with quite severe red staining over a large area of paintwork due to having been caught by rain before I could sweep down.
D:confused:oes anyone know how to get this staining out, have scrubbed with fresh water and tried a mild abrasive cleaner to no avail.

Phil23

on another thread I started about deck and it is teak

I had a suggestion to use cascade

I might try a little in a small area

Mix a tablespoon of oxalic acid powder to hot water, stir really well until completely dissolved, put the mix in a small spray bottle that has a adjustable tip, adjust the tip to atomize to a fine fist. Spray the effected area and let sit a few minutes, you may need to wipe the area with a cloth.. may not. After the stain is gone rinse the area with clear water. This will remove a plethora of stains from a lot of things. DO NOT BREATHE IN THE MIST.. you will immediately cough.. which tells me it is not good to breathe. Also works amazingly well to remove stains at home from a roof leak stain on your ceiling.

Cheers,
HOLLYWOOD

I'm not clear on your post. Is it bare wood that's stained or wood that's been painted and the stain is bleeding through. Oxalic acid mixed with water is used for bleaching wood (think stained decks, etc.) and may be effective on bare wood. If the wood has already been painted, get a stain blocking primer (Kilz is one brand) and cover the stain with as many coats as necessary, then repaint.

Sap Stains on paint work

Hi, the belting and transom caps which I have drilled are weathered hardwood, maybe Iroko, kwila or similar, a very red timber when drilled/sanded.
Saw dust and drilling chips felt onto boarding platform and deck areas and before I could sweep up it rained leaving red/brown stains everywhere.

Greetings,
Mr. 23. Sand some more, create sawdust, wet, and stain rest of platform the same color...call it "Environment Red"... or, tell the tale of repelling boarders...their blood won't wash out... or, repaint. Sorry, that's all I've got if none of the previously posted suggestions don't work.

Hi, the belting and transom caps which I have drilled are weathered hardwood, maybe Iroko, kwila or similar, a very red timber when drilled/sanded.
Saw dust and drilling chips felt onto boarding platform and deck areas and before I could sweep up it rained leaving red/brown stains everywhere.

Still confused, more than ever.

What is the material that is stained and is it painted, wood or gelcoat? Or something else?

The stained areas are painted with International Interspray 9000 and one area is Don't Slip antiskid paint.

Well you could try phosphoric acid but the wood might not like it very much. Does wonders for rust stains on steel boats. And generally not that hard on paint. But YMMV.
Sold as ospho and other trade names. Don't know about yacht places but anyplace that has fish boat guys coming in will have it. I think H.D. has something similar too.

The stained areas are painted with International Interspray 9000 and one area is Don't Slip antiskid paint.
Now we're getting somewhere. The best plan is to contact the paint manufacturer and ask them what to do. In the meantime washing with soap and water or mild cleaners may help. What you don't want to do is harm the paint because then you'll have no choice but to repaint.

Sometimes prolonged exposure to sunlight will bleach stains out.

If it's painted, it's probably on the surface only. Try TSP and a scuffy pad. Don't push too hard.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom