New CG Fee

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
$26 bucks a year.....REALLY, $26.00.

I know, right? How many times have I heard, "You know paying $500 extra for a marine grade (this) or to have and extra (that) is CHEAP insurance!"

Let's support the USCG. If $26 take some of the pressure off so they spend more money looking after us? You HAVE to agree it's a good thing.

Attachments

• waaaambulance.jpg
    waaaambulance.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
The $26 pays for them to send you a letter (automated), read your reply and send you a documentation document. Only the government could spend $26 to do that. $5.00 would be more realistic.

The real question is, why every year? Why not every three years like some state registrations?

The real question is, why every year? Why not every three years like some state registrations?

No, the real question is out of all the things wrong in the world and everything going on in most of our lives, why is this $26 such an issue?

The $26 pays for them to send you a letter (automated), read your reply and send you a documentation document. Only the government could spend $26 to do that. $5.00 would be more realistic.

Why not $100 for 4years, be done with it?? $100 up front is worth more than $26 for 4 years year at a time, not to mention admin costs saved?

No, the real question is out of all the things wrong in the world and everything going on in most of our lives, why is this $26 such an issue?

EXACTLY... Now I gotta get back to my sock drawer.

$26 is not the issue. The issue is, every time we turn around the government is charging a new tax or fee while at the same time providing free food, housing and cell phones for those too lazy to support themselves.

Be ready for a tax on pooping! :banghead:

"Why not $100 for 4years, be done with it?? $100 up front is worth more than $26 for 4 years year at a time, not to mention admin costs saved? "

Yeah, an option would be nice, $26/yr or $100/4 yrs. Long as they send me a reminder as I know I will not remember in 4 years.

$26 is not the issue. The issue is, every time we turn around the government is charging a new tax or fee while at the same time providing free food, housing and cell phones for those too lazy to support themselves.

Be ready for a tax on pooping! :banghead:

:banghead: the thieving bankers and hedge fund crooks that are picking your/our bones clean get a free ride in their new luxury coupes, get a free ride on our nickel without any resentment, but God forbid...a fee cell phone....jeeze.

Sorry, I forgot where I was posting.....forget what I said...I lost my head.

:banghead: the thieving bankers and hedge fund crooks that are picking your/our bones clean get a free ride in their new luxury coupes, get a free ride on our nickel without any resentment, but God forbid...a fee cell phone....jeeze.

Sorry, I forgot where I was posting.....forget what I said...I lost my head.

I pay a tax on my cell phone plan that gives freeloaders a better plan than I am paying for.

I pay a tax on my cell phone plan that gives freeloaders a better plan than I am paying for.

Go to OTDE for futher explaination, based on my 30 years of experience in the TELCO industry.

It's not the $26, I spent that much on a five pack of underwear yesterday, and I don't begrudge the CG a few bucks - in my opinion they're a lot more useful than about 90% of other government programs. However, the problem is:

1. I already pay hefty taxes for government services. If "user fees" were in lieu of taxes that would be fine, but that's never the way it's done. Now I pay taxes and user fees.

2. We all know it won't stay $26 for more than five minutes.

3. There was overwhelming public opposition to annual renewal fees and they did it anyway. There was overwhelming public comment for a more convenient or longer renewal period than every year, but they did it anyway - to give themselves more frequent opportunities to crank up revenue.

4. From everything I've heard lately (and I'll find out for myself soon), they are eight months behind on processing documentation paperwork - so they've cranked up fees, created an annual renewal processing load for themselves, and the processing time is worse than it's ever been.

And that is why this is so irritating. It's not the $26.

Now this is strange but I just got my $26.00 check back from the Coast Guard. They said that I did not have to pay it since I submitted my application for renewal before November 10.

They were nice enough to point out that next year I would have to pay.

I could have sworn that the original letter said that it was due for all boats who's document expired after November 10. My Document says that it expires November 30 so I figured that was after November 10 and sent the money.

Go figure...

Last edited:
I mentioned above that I got my money back a couple of days ago. Today the renewed document came in the mail.

I would guess that I came to their attention by sending money so they processed the renewal while my stuff was on someone's desk.

It can take up to 8 months to get a new document but I don't know how long it typically takes to get one renewed. In my case it took less than two weeks.

Now this is strange but I just got my $26.00 check back from the Coast Guard. They said that I did not have to pay it since I submitted my application for renewal before November 10.

I could have sworn that the original letter said that it was due for all boats who's document expired after November 10. My Document says that it expires November 30 so I figured that was after November 10 and sent the money.

Go figure...

Thank you, I am going to do just that......chuckle... Got the boat 4 months ago, stated registered but I want it documented... Again thanks.

Go figure...

Same here. My doc expires on 11/30. I sent the check 11/1 and they processed the renewal 11/7. Today I got the voided check back with a letter explaining that it was received before 11/10 so my doc was renewed without a fee this last time. My current certificate expires on the same 11/30 date as the old one...no change of renewal date with the early payment.

Now I've got an extra $26 to spend on the boat! Woo-hoo!

This thread is reopened for discussion. Let's keep the discussion tied to the USCG documentation fee and not on public tax policy. Thanks.

Dang. I sent mine in a few days ago. Probably gets there tomorrow....

This fee is for something not required, correct?

If so I bet they will need to raise it to cover for folks that elect not to renew the doc.

I may just get a state title and be done with it.

For most people, documentation is not necessary. If $26 upsets you that much, don't do it. No one is forcing you to do it without your consent.

I got a letter from the CG yesterday which states that any renewal of the USCG Certificate of Documentation expiring after November 10th must be accompanied by $26.00.
Sorry if this has been posted before now.

They don't really mean what they say in this case.... Since my certificate EXPIRES after November 10th, I sent the $26. with the renewal return in October. They just sent the $26 back with a lengthy letter saying that since I SENT it b/4 11/10 they didn't need the $26. This is stupid on so many levels I wouldn't know where to begin, so I won't.

Well, we bought the boat around October 20, I filed the exchange application and the bill of sale to be recorded a few days after that (electronically). They ran my credit card charge within hours of receiving my email ($100 total for both the exchange app and the two-page bill of sale). We'll see how long it takes to get it back. According to their relatively new inquiry page on paperwork status, it's gone nowhere so far.

For most people, documentation is not necessary. If $26 upsets you that much, don't do it. No one is forcing you to do it without your consent.

Meh, not upset Tony just one of the low hanging fruit. :flowers:

I bet it is 100 bucks within 5 years, oh and it will still be called a "fee" :thumb:

I'll bet.

$100... just check with me when the time comes.

The reason is ...study up on govt's fees and how they come about and how they change...and the USCG stewardship of taxpayers dollars.

Jeeeezzz. $26 bucks, you would think the first born was being demanded. Most spend (responsible ones) $150 yearly with Sea tow or Boats US yet $26 for the group that will go where civilians dare not

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom