Winch for davit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alemao

Guru
Vessel Name
ORIGINAL
Vessel Make
Hi Star 55
I got the Huricane Gonzalo and my davit winch was smashed and I must change it. I had a Superwinch 5.000lbs that cried to lift 500lbs.
Anyone know of any stronger or better model? ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1415537778.171895.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1415537809.714499.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1415537842.497065.jpg

Sergio "Alemao" Sztancsa
Sent from my iPhone, using Trawler Forum

I got the Huricane Gonzalo and my davit winch was smashed and I must change it. I had a Superwinch 5.000lbs that cried to lift 500lbs.
Anyone know of any stronger or better model? Sergio "Alemao" Sztancsa

I don't know about better but our davit has a Warn DC1200-CF hoist. Not cheap but a rated working load, first layer, 1200 lbs. They also make hoists rated for 1000 lbs and 800 llbs which may work for you. Bummer on Gonzalo. Were you in Saint Martin?

https://www.warn.com/industrial/hoists/DC1200.shtml

At Bobby's Boatyard

Sergio "Alemao" Sztancsa

Thank you Larry, I'll look for where to buy

Sergio "Alemao" Sztancsa

It is hard to tell from the pictures what exactly is going on with your davit seems like more that just the winch was damaged. One point to be made which is apparent in both of the posts is that there is a distinct difference between a winch and a hoist. If you use your davit to lift dead weight it should employ a hoist which has a brake suitable for stopping and holding dead vertical weight. Hence your "crying" when lifting and holding.
A winch is designed and rated for moving a rolling weight over horizontal surfaces like pulling a car or loading a boat on a trailer. A 5,000# winch rating is not the same as a 5,000# hoist rating.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom