Live aboard slip Seattle area?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

utazo89

Anyone can recommend affordable live aboard slip up to 40' in the greater Seattle area for 2014? Does it exist? Thanks.

Liveaboards slips exist- but not on the Eastside. You'll have to check with each marina to see if they're taking new liveaboards.

Affordable is relative- being a liveaboard may seem cheaper than a traditional home, but it can be just as expensive...

Anyone can recommend affordable live aboard slip up to 40' in the greater Seattle area for 2014? Does it exist? Thanks.

Most marines have vacancies. So where do you want to moor? Originally we were moored on Lake Union, fresh water, down town Seattle. We are presently in Everett, 30 miles north of Seattle which is brackish, fresh and salt, and when we retire will probable move the boat back on the Lake as we loved living in the city. :dance:

If you PM your email I will email you a Puget Sound marine listing.

Well, the closer to the East side, as possible. I work at the UW, but I go to Redmond, everyday. Commute is a mess, once you go over 10 miles radius. I think, it will be a tough problem to solve. PM sent.

Try and call Salmon Bay marina. You may have to get on a wait list.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler

Well, the closer to the East side, as possible. I work at the UW, but I go to Redmond, everyday. Commute is a mess, once you go over 10 miles radius. I think, it will be a tough problem to solve. PM sent.

Email me you email ADDRESS.

Phil Fill.
What do I need to understand about the ' brackish, salt and fresh water ' area? I need to learn. Thanks.
Laszlo

Phil Fill.
What do I need to understand about the ' brackish, salt and fresh water ' area? I need to learn. Thanks.
Laszlo

Lake Washington and Lake Union are fresh water and the easiest on the boat. Everett is the closest Brackish water, which is fresh and salt mixed. Fresh water is lighter the salt, so it tends to float over the salt. So in the marina the first couple feet are fresh water and there after become salt. So most of the boats are moored in fresh water, but easy access to Puget Sound. Salt is of course are the marines on the Puget Sound.

The closest live a boards marines for you are on Lake Union. the listing I sent indicates if live aboard. i have found it best to go in person and put your name on the wait list even if you do not have a boat. We were moored on Lake Union for 11 years and been in Everett for 4 years. We really like Lake Union and miss it, as being moored in the middle of the city of Seattle was great, and being fresh we played/swam in it most summer days.

Try and call Salmon Bay marina. You may have to get on a wait list.
Sent from my iPad using Trawler

Boat with live aboard slip currently available...
Salmon Bay Marina and Boat Sales
I believe the monthly live aboard moorage fee for that slip would be right around $600, maybe a tad more, plus any electricity over the first 100kw each month.

Last edited:
I looked the available slip charges. They look very discouraging. Too high for me. Where should one go for more affordable slip fees? If they charge this much, I will be able to afford anything above 30'. I wanted between 35-40' but I cannot do it in Seattle.

Check out the Duwamish.

Get further away from the city and slips get cheaper. Bremerton is affordable, but a tough commute to UW and Redmond. Elliott Bay Marina allows some liveaboards I believe but they tack on a pretty steep fee. There are lots of small marinas on Lake Union that allow some liveaboards...I taking a day and visiting many of them. Sometimes a visit in person can open doors that phone calls/emails can't.

If you plan on moving the boat frequently you might be able to get away with a non-liveaboard slip. I liveaboard but rarely stay in any place for longer than 3-4 months, keep the boat seaworthy, and take it away from the dock most weekends. I've found marinas are pretty accommodating of this type of liveaboard/long term transient use.

Back
Top Bottom