View Single Post
Old 11-08-2014, 06:46 PM   #10
Edelweiss
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by chester613 View Post
I am trapped in a never ending cycle of bigger and bigger boats! I need to put in some overtime at work and save an extra $50K! Help me PLEASE!
Chester I don't think you are alone. A boat owner on another forum had similar feelings and is starting a "12 step program" for boaters on his forum. A portion of his post is below:

"Hi. My name is Vern (name changed to protect the poor guy) and I think I might be a boataholic."

Just need to test the waters here - During a 2-week trip to the states I ended up dropping a grand or so at West Marine for boat "essentials."

I got back and installed all that stuff and Saturday, while at the chandlery I dropped $100 bucks on fuel line, hose clamps, battery cable and battery terminals - Oh! and some really cool telltales... I have a new $100 battery on order that delivers on Friday. The boat already has 2 but 3 can't hurt, right?

I was on my boat Saturday morning. Not to sail but to install a piece of equipment. A big rainstorm came through and I stayed on board and played cards with my son while it passed. I started planning the interior refit that I didn't know I needed. I'd also like to install Solar right away and while I am at it completely rewire the boat. LED position lights would be nice...

I sailed 2 weekends ago for 2 hours. Next weekend I am sailing in someone else's boat on Saturday and on Sunday I am installing batteries and fuel lines. I might get out Sunday afternoon.

Oh, I am still waiting for the ($1200) bill for the bottom paint and new chain plates we installed while I was in the states...

So does $2400 bucks for 4 hours of sailing over 5 weekends indicate I have a "problem."

Please share! You are among friends.