Zinc Line Cutters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a Shaft Shark, which is similiar in design, except made of SS. Looks like it should work the same. Might be interesting to see if the cutter stays in place as the zinc is used up. The SS is six time more expensive..DS

I have a Shaft Shark, which is similiar in design, except made of SS. Looks like it should work the same. Might be interesting to see if the cutter stays in place as the zinc is used up. The SS is six time more expensive..DS

Do the shaft shark cutters just clamp onto to the shaft like a zinc?

Are they something a guy can install during a normal zinc change haulout?

Yeah, that is how they work. Just like zinc replacement. Don't think I have hit anything yet, so can't really say how they work. Nice to,know its there. DS

Yeah, that is how they work. Just like zinc replacement. Don't think I have hit anything yet, so can't really say how they work. Nice to,know its there. DS

Thanks

I'll try them next haulout. Cheap insurance.

Boat Propeller Shaft Line Cutters at Zincwarehouse.com

Anybody using these? Thoughts!

Inexpensive and easy to install.

At nearly $50/each for a 1.5" shaft, it wouldn't take too many anode changes before you have spent more on these than a permanently-installed line cutter would cost. And if the zinc depletes enough (as it it designed to) to allow the unit to spin on the shaft or fall off, well, now you have no protection.

Last edited:
We have used the Shaft Shark for years. We don't go looking for crab pots on the Chesapeake but when they can't be avoided, the Shaft Shark has never failed us. When we haul the boat, we put a sign on the shaft that warns people to stay away from the blade. Surprising how many people have cut their fingers anyway.

Boat Propeller Shaft Line Cutters at Zincwarehouse.com

Anybody using these? Thoughts!

Inexpensive and easy to install.

Yes. I put one in on May. After being quoted $700 for the Shark, I figured how could i go wrong for $50.

Yes, it clamped on easily and the cutter portion is ss and really sharp.

Now, one other note, since I had no zinc before on the shaft, I felt it was better than nothing.

I have no idea how well it works or not.

Back
Top Bottom