View Single Post
Old 11-08-2014, 10:09 AM   #820
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Ya know...

I've watched lots of anchor setting vids, including the two on Delfin's post # 814 of this thread. One extremely meaningful item I consistently notice is that the manufacturers' setting tests mostly utilize a nearly parallel with ground-surface rode angle while pulling to display setting capability of their anchor. In my estimation that skews things out of sync with reality of 5 to 1 or even 7 to 1 scope/angle that anchors need to set with during real-time anchoring procedures. Of course, if rode is fully heavy chain with oodles of scope, and anchor is not pulled back-down upon to aggressively (at least at first during setting sequence), then the shank of anchor would stay more parallel to bottom surface which would more closely resemble the test video occurrences. However, many boats do not have full-on chain from boat to anchor. Instead they have 10’ +/- chain with the rest being line; also, many do not provide ample scope. And, many boaters do not know very well how to “whisper” to an anchor while setting it. Therefore… I do not put full stock into results seen regarding on-screen-close-up pictured results of most anchor setting videos.

In comparison to the plethora of what I feel are skewed anchor setting close-up videos:

It is my feeling that the “test(s)” having results to be most relied upon were and are performed by Brian of Fortress Anchor. His tests were performed under very close to real life anchoring conditions and in comparison to many anchor types in same conditions under strict anchor setting guidelines.

In too many videos: Pickup trucks pulling anchors along surface with rode parallel to ground does not a realistic-boating anchor set condition make.

Just sayen!!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote