It rains in Seattle.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In Seattle 5 days in a row are common. 15 to 20 starts getting nervy. The only reason I am on the site is rain and gusts in the high 20-30 range.

It seems to mostly drizzle there.

Most of those desalination plants use waste heat recovery from cogen plants. California could get electricity and water. Then maybe they wouldn't have to steal electricity from BC...

Marin, many if the falling vapor film evaporators used in vapor compression desalination around the world are designed in Bellevue...

Marin, many if the falling vapor film evaporators used in vapor compression desalination around the world are designed in Bellevue...

Good to know that somebody in Bellevue is actually doing something useful rather than just buying high-end shoes in Bellevue Square.:)

Last edited:
Desal is very energy intensive and expensive, be it thermal or reverse osmosis. Hard to justify spending that kind of money to create first rate pure water that is then used to flush toilets, wash cars and water lawns.

Actually desalination is quite common as Marin notes. More than Saudi Arabia. About 40% of Israel's water comes from desalination. Sidney and Perth Australia desalinate with wind farms generating the power.

Singapore, Japan, Russia, and yes even California but the permitting process in CA is very onerous and the term fast track doesn't exist there. . Japan and Russia use nuclear desalination techniques with costs surprisingly competitive to building reservoirs and long pipelines into the mountains.

By my dated reports there were over 10,000 commercial desalination plants globally, but my reports go back a decade so the number is likely much higher today.

As they are saying in CA now, "we dither and wither" as the regulators stew over desalination.

Actually desalination is quite common as Marin notes. More than Saudi Arabia.

And even Florida has at least one with a capacity if up to 25 million gallons a day aided by waste heat.

Tampa Bay Seawater Desalination Plant

EDIT: Wow, was I ever wrong. There are many.

As of 2014, South Florida has 36 brackish and two seawater desalination plants operating with three brackish water plants under construction. The brackish and seawater desalination plants have the capacity to produce 269 million gallons of potable water per day.

35.jpg

Last edited:
Well, if you price that water at or above the cost to produce, wouldn't it then be up to the consumer to decide if it was "worth it" to them?

The problem is the farmers expect to be provided with many acre feet of water at almost no cost.

The problem with farming in a desert .

Cadillac Desert - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadillac_DesertWikipedia

Cadillac Desert, by Marc Reisner, is a 1986 book published by Viking (ISBN 0-14-017824-4) about land development and water policy in the western United ...

Cadillac desert - PBS summary

www.ldeo.columbia.edu/.../cadillac_...Lamont–Doherty Earth Observatory

Mulholland's Dream, the first episode in the four-part CADILLAC DESERT series, tells the incredible story of how the hunt for and the exploitation of water ...

Mt. Rainier tells you all you need to know about Seattle weather. If you can't see it, it's raining. If you can, it's going to rain.

"It rains in Seattle".....

But it can be spectacular when it doesn't. Here is a shot from yesterdays beautiful November day on Elliott Bay.

Attachments

• Elliott Bay November.jpg
    Elliott Bay November.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 106
"It rains in Seattle".....

But it can be spectacular when it doesn't. Here is a shot from yesterdays beautiful November day on Elliott Bay.

I know for a fact that shot was taken off Los Angeles. You're just trying to spread rumors that sometimes the sun comes out in the PNW.

That's gotta be the same "Moon River" that's on the cover of Northwest Yachting magazine for November 2014. As for rain, we got our first "storm" in 8 months last week. Every bit of 1/4" of rain. That means we have 7 3/4" to go to make our average 8" of rainfall.

Re; Moon River it is the same. It did not rain today but real cold for my liking. I did a row around portage bay anyway the dam sun was in my eyes a lot. MR also made the cover of Soundings and was a feature boat in a previous JD power source publication. Never expected that much notoriety since I made a point of not allowing MR to be shown in any of the boat shows much to the disappointment of Devlin.

Attachments

• CAAqBwgKMMmvrwEw2o0r-OPSimagespagespg-01.jpg
    CAAqBwgKMMmvrwEw2o0r-OPSimagespagespg-01.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 250
Moon River looks a bit more than a "day cruiser".

I don't know why Devlin and soundings designated MR as a day boat. I did specify and made certain that MR would be an easy single hander for the short runs I do every few weeks when not Summer cruising. The boat is well set up for Longer PNW cruising for two or four with births for more but I would consider that crowding the interior. I personally consider MR as a PNW version of a Down East semi displacement express cruiser that is happy to travel at displacement speeds as I frequently do.

Great cover picture, Ed! Would you post up a link to the article when its available online?

Great cover picture, Ed! Would you post up a link to the article when its available online?
I did not keep a copy of Soundings and don't remember the month. The article is over a year old. If you want more information and pictures there is a fair amount including build shots on Devlin boats internet site just Google Devlin boats.

Something Change

Moon River is in a covered slip at the SYC main station in Portage Bay. Tomorrow it goes out for an 11 O' clock tank top off at Morrison's fuel dock. I tend to run it at least every two weeks going into lake Washington to get engines up to temp. and flush the fresh water through the cooling SX. The covered slip keeps sun(what sun)and water off but not dirt that blows in or spider droppings.
When I was in Portage bay it was fresh water?

Attachments

• IMG_0574.jpg
    IMG_0574.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 94
When I was in Portage bay it was fresh water?
It is still fresh water and maybe a bit more polluted. The flush more figurative and just happens because it is fresh water. My thinking is that the more fluids of any type that get to move around the engine the better and in this case no need to hook up the dock water. Instead of salt Portage Bay has Mill weed and I do my share to break it up.

Another soaker in Seattle......but this time we are soakin' up more November sunshine. Elliott Bay to Liberty Bay and back was a beautiful cruise with a crew of 10 on Saturday.

Attachments

• Klee Wyck Poulsbo.jpg
    Klee Wyck Poulsbo.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 116
  • skyline.jpg
    skyline.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 95
We took full advantage of the pouring sunshine with a trip to Dock Street Marina in Tacoma. We visited Harmons Brew Pub, the WA State History Museum, and the LeMay/America's Car Museum. As you can see, the car museum has many of the classics...

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1416200948.988981.jpg

We took full advantage of the pouring sunshine with a trip to Dock Street Marina in Tacoma. We visited Harmons Brew Pub, the WA State History Museum, and the LeMay/America's Car Museum. As you can see, the car museum has many of the classics...

View attachment 34566

yabba dabba do!

HOLLYWOOD

.. I think my parents were right.. I did spend too much time watching cartoons...

But when there isn't rain, we got something better. . . WIND!!

All you need now is. . . a Puget Sound car wash offered by WSF!!

MV Cathlamet is 328' long with a beam of 78'; weighs in at 2477 tons unloaded. One of several 130 car, Issaquah Class ferries Operated in Puget Sound by Washington State Ferries. I wonder how many of these car owners immediately traded their car in??

Attachments

• wsf1.jpg
    wsf1.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 107
  • wsf2.jpg
    wsf2.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 103
  • wsf3.jpg
    wsf3.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 108
  • wsf4.jpg
    wsf4.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 102
Edelweiss, those pictures are amazing. I sure hope everyone had their windows up.

But when there isn't rain, we got something better. . . WIND!!

All you need now is. . . a Puget Sound car wash offered by WSF!!

MV Cathlamet is 328' long with a beam of 78'; weighs in at 2477 tons unloaded. One of several 130 car, Issaquah Class ferries Operated in Puget Sound by Washington State Ferries. I wonder how many of these car owners immediately traded their car in??
Do you know what route that was that these pictures were taken of? Keystone?

Carl-- It was the Mukilteo-Clinton run. The photographer was by the Mukilteo lighthouse. Winds were in excess of 50 mph. The photos were taken by Ross Fotheringham on October 18, 2007.

Carl-- It was the Mukilteo-Clinton run. The photographer was by the Mukilteo lighthouse. Winds were in excess of 50 mph. This occured in 2007.
Those are amazing. The cars in the front must have really wished they were in the back.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom