House batteries - securing box.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shufti

Vessel Name
Wine Down
Vessel Make
Riviera 35' FB
Hi all,

Doing a bit of 12v work (with a qualified sparky) and plan on adding some more house batteries. I"ve got storage/securing for 4 batts at present but may double that. My plan is to take the current wooden frames out (each fram supports 2 6v batts at present) and replace with a single box to house the lot. I'd like to enclose it completely so I can sit on the box to work on motors.

HAs anyone done something like this - would love to see any pics of battery storage ideas or hear any opinions. I'm considering using thin ply and fiberglass as materials.

Thanks.

My AGM batteries are in white, metal boxes which I sit on when in the engine compartment. One on the port-side and the other (engine between) at starboard: house versus engine batteries.

img_282180_0_d3e0a68ae6ca4deb4277e9ca6ad3e627.jpg

Just as long as the batteries cant move around break lose or flip out on a broach. Also remember batteries have to breath lead acid more than others. If you confine the gas it could increase risk of boom. You also have to watch heat build up especially if you fast charge so a bunch of confined batteries may overheat faster than those with circulating air around them.

Hi all,

Doing a bit of 12v work (with a qualified sparky) and plan on adding some more house batteries. I"ve got storage/securing for 4 batts at present but may double that. My plan is to take the current wooden frames out (each fram supports 2 6v batts at present) and replace with a single box to house the lot. I'd like to enclose it completely so I can sit on the box to work on motors.

HAs anyone done something like this - would love to see any pics of battery storage ideas or hear any opinions. I'm considering using thin ply and fiberglass as materials.

Thanks.

The ABYC has some requirements as to venting, separation, protecting the terminals from contact and limiting movement. If you plan to design something yourself, I suggest getting these and being compliant.

Or you could just buy commercial battery boxes and mount them using the system supplied with the boxes. Mount them close together and put a board on top to sit on.

Or you could just buy commercial battery boxes and mount them using the system supplied with the boxes. Mount them close together and put a board on top to sit on.

Just found the 'Noco' dual 6v boxes. Any other brands I should search for?

Thanks all. Not sure I'll go down the 'custom made' route or not now. Still searching for options. All input appreciated.

Thanks all. Not sure I'll go down the 'custom made' route or not now. Still searching for options. All input appreciated.
They are what I bought, 4 screws or bolts and you are done if they fit where you want them.

The black boxes with yellow lids made to stack that one can find at the Home Depot and other such stores are just about a perfect fit for 4 group 31 batteries. One properly located rod through the box walls to retain the batteries and you could be 90% complete.

The older original boxes were much sturdier than the last ones I bought.

Thanks for mentioning the Noco boxes. I've been looking for tall 6V boxes, looks like they've got a decent candidate...

-Chris

I built my battery box from plywood and fiberglass. Hold downs are PVC angle pieces riveted together for strength. The terminal block connects the negative battery cables with the cables from the engine blocks. The house bank has it's own terminal block forward for the positive cables. The two engine start batteries on the left are wired through 300 amp slow blow fuses. The case is slightly elevated for circulation and cooling.

Attachments

• IMG_0287.jpg
    IMG_0287.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 105

Walmart has battery boxes. Pretty much the same as the ones at marine stores if they have the size you want. Auto parts stores would probably have them also.

Commercial battery boxes have the tie downs, the ventilation holes and the place for the cables to exit. I wouldn't be using storage boxes from the home center or any other substitute.

Envision a large wave , the vessel tipping rapidly to one side 90deg, , and decide if the batteries will still be in place.

Its easy , the sail folks have to worry about a 360 roll.

Back
Top Bottom