View Single Post
Old 10-12-2010, 05:53 AM   #4
Steve
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
RE: Ideas for our bimini enclosure

It seems to me that the Bimmini enclosures on both the trawlers I have owned were very (too) tight. This puts a lot of strain on the zippers and makes it difficult to join the zippers together. I bought both boats used with the enclosures already a few years old so don't know, maybe they were like that from the beginning, or the material has shrunk. Maybe someone who has owned one since new can clarify that point.
A friend had a couple of small half circle vents made at the fwd. port and staboard upper corners of his bimini front in addition to all the usual smileys. He can unzip these to get some ventilation under the top. When temps and sun are up it gets VERY hot in an enclosure.
I find it is easier to use the 'Lift a Dot" or twist type fasteners rather than the snaps and use them where possible.
We do open the Smileys in the side windows often for ventilation, but our boating is done in the South.
The sun panels are a very good suggestion we have some jury rigged with clips some made of a suncreening material to match the biminni would be nice.
Steve W
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote