lehman injector pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spartan

I'm looking to buy an older grand banks with twin lehman 120 motors
The port engine was just rebuilt and they said the cause of the engine failure was a wrong setting on the injector pump. They said it was set for automotive use not marine use. Does that make sense?
It would seem to me that the engine doesn't know where it is and the pump needs to match the fuel needs of the engine regardless of where it is.
What do you think?

Hmmm, not a Lehman expert by no means, but if you over fuel, it will smoke alot, but won't cause a failure, if you under fuel loose performance, but again can't see a failure, timed wrong, I guess if really far out, I don't know doesn't sound all the plausible, maybe also post on boatdiesel dot com

Unless they over-fueled the timing so bad it washed the rings and scored the cylinders/pistons. That was often a problem with injected gas motors used in performance applications back in the day, but that was a long time ago.

Maybe it was struggling and they just kept pushing it?

Never heard that one before. Talk with the people at American Diesel and see what they say. 804-435-3107

Like Capt. Bill, I have never heard that. I have both the Lehman and Ford of England service manuals for the engine and neither one of them makes any mention of different settings for the injection pump.

I haven't heard that before either, but over fueling could lead to high EGT and that could cause cylinder wall scuffing and engine failure.

Have a Lehman question, Call American Diesel. They are an incredible resource and literally invented the marinized version of this engine. They have the knowledge and the parts for the Lehmans.

I have no relationship with American Diesel other than as a satisfied customer.

Good luck,
Arch

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom