Pictures just don't do it justice.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GFC

Guru
GW and I are now in AZ for much of the winter. We took 3 days last week and went up to see the Grand Canyon and it was everything I'd heard....and much more.

We tried to get rooms at in Grand Canyon National Park, but the ones along the South Rim of the canyon were all booked. We stayed in a little town called Tusayan which is about 5 minutes south of the entrance to the park.

The hotel we stayed in was a Best Western and I had enough points with them for one free night. So, being the cheapskate that I am, I took the one free night and paid for the second. I love how that works.

So here are some photos. These were all taken the first day we went into the park, and were taken from the area around Grand Canyon Village.
img_279054_0_af4db6dd4ad269435552f6b41ea53682.jpg

img_279054_1_d49c27e3b6c296f08ecaba4a58229092.jpg

img_279054_2_40e3243eeb959f2f8593edede5fc3410.jpg

img_279054_3_a5506e130844f6923b00871755c38ca4.jpg

img_279054_4_524a009ea952ca1052e9cafa8980def0.jpg

img_279054_5_5d9b661bbd99fb5b4028ebe318324b4a.jpg

img_279054_6_aa63987f277bc0e19f807ff11d5af26a.jpg

img_279054_7_e317b826dd53df70834b2684a624159d.jpg

img_279054_8_b4664ba4efa6178411442fa3ccef2a78.jpg

img_279054_9_821e15a719b2e43d3ab1c299beadd50b.jpg

img_279054_10_d6f9c223b3c0a7250920425072092793.jpg

Those of you who have been to the Canyon know what I mean when I say the photos don't do it justice. It seemed like every time I walked up to the rim of the canyon and looked at the view the only thing that came to mind was "WOW!" The colors were amazing but the thing that blew me away so much was just the size and scope of what we were seeing.

The Colorado River is what created the canyon and it's over 4,000' below the rim. At many places, the canyon is miles across, but it's really hard to judge distances by just standing there looking at it.

I have pics from the 2nd and 3rd days and I'll add those later.

Enjoy

Weary GFC

Greetings,
Mr. GFC. GREAT shots and I agree the canyon is just too big to conceive of the actual size of the whole thing. Your daughter seems to be enjoying herself as well.

It is awesome! Did you get to go out on that Skywalk I have read about?

Mike, awesome shots. Is that the north or south rim? Kind of looks like the north, but the sun seems wrong for that.

I've been looking at pictures of that canyon all my life and everyone told me they don't do it justice. Wife and I drove through there last year and (Mike kindly gave us ideas of places to visit) visited the canyon... Wow! Everyone was right, no picture can do that place justice.

It is one place that has to be visited to even start to comprehend the scale of what is seen in the photos.

Looking from South Ridge:

232323232%7Ffp5383%3A%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D34823%3A%3A%3A46336nu0mrj

Boating upriver from the Canyon, on the San Juan River feeding Lake Powell:

232323232%7Ffp537%3C9%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D34778%3A%3A963336nu0mrj

Last edited:
Back in the 1970s we used to fly through the canyon in small single- and twin-engine aircraft well below the canyon rim. It was always such a surreal experience. Nowadays, non-commercial flights are limited to 14000 MSL in most areas over the canyon. Ahhh...the good ol' days!

Very nice pics, Mike.

Those of you who have been to the Canyon know what I mean when I say the photos don't do it justice. It seemed like every time I walked up to the rim of the canyon and looked at the view the only thing that came to mind was "WOW!" The colors were amazing but the thing that blew me away so much was just the size and scope of what we were seeing.

I've been looking at pictures of that canyon all my life and everyone told me they don't do it justice. Wife and I drove through there last year and (Mike kindly gave us ideas of places to visit) visited the canyon... Wow! Everyone was right, no picture can do that place justice.

It is one place that has to be visited to even start to comprehend the scale of what is seen in the photos.

WOW is an understatement ... the GC and the hike down and up the Hermit Trail is the most mesmerizing and humbling experience we ever had. We hiked and climbed many maintains in US, Canada, and Europe, but GC hike down to the river was the one I will always remember.

Some photos from that hike ... sorry, the quality is not the best by today's standards but they were taken a decade ago.

Early morning, going down ... this is the trail.

2002_hermittrail01_003.jpg

Further down ... it's still the beginning.

2002_hermittrail01_005.jpg

Somewhere half way down ... the sun caught up with us.

2002_hermittrail01_010.jpg

Finally, reached the designated campsite ...

2002_hermittrail01_012.jpg

... in one of the side canyons (Hermit Creek Canyon).

2002_hermittrail01_014.jpg

Next morning ... checking for scorpions and rattler snakes.

2002_hermittrail02_001.jpg

Amazing sunrise ... and moon set.

2002_hermittrail02_004.jpg

Hiking out to go down to Colorado River.

2002_hermittrail02_007.jpg

This was humbling ... seeing the tent (bluish dot) in foreground disappearing in the background of enormous scale.

2002_hermittrail02_009.jpg

Not far from the river now ...

2002_hermittrail02_014.jpg

... Colorado River, Hermit Rapids.

2002_hermittrail02_024.jpg

Next day ... a view of Hermit Creek and Canyon from near the rim.

2002_hermittrail03_013.jpg

Another view of GC and Colorado River from near the rim.
There were wild fires somewhere and a lot of smoke in the air, btw.

2002_hermittrail03_014.jpg

Last edited:
"Your daughter seems to be enjoying herself as well. "
She gets that comment a lot and loves it every time she hears it. I admit to being somewhat of a cradle robber. Makes life interesting and fun. She keeps me young.

"It is awesome! Did you get to go out on that Skywalk I have read about? "
No. We found out the Skywalk is in the part of the canyon that's near Vegas. Maybe we'll do that on another trip.

"Mike, awesome shots. Is that the north or south rim? Kind of looks like the north, but the sun seems wrong for that."
It is the south rim. We didn't have time on this trip to hit the north rim. We'll save that for another trip.

Richard, I enjoyed your photos and story. My tired, old knees are not up to hiking up and down the trails so we passed on that. We did do some walking along the trails that are at the top of the south rim. The beauty here is unparalleled and has to be witnessed first hand to be believed.

The pictures just don't do it justice.

Somebody needs to photoshop a trawler in those pictures!

Great photos

I found the GC to be almost a religious experience. It is always so crowded; yet as the throngs of tourists approach the rim for the first time; they fall silent...they are so in awe of what they are seeing>

Nicely done Tonic. It just looks like it belongs there. NOT. It looks like someone took a wrong turn coming out of somewhere and the skipper of that boat is about to be in deeper sh!t than he ever imagined.

Nicely done Tonic. It just looks like it belongs there. NOT. It looks like someone took a wrong turn coming out of somewhere and the skipper of that boat is about to be in deeper sh!t than he ever imagined.

is that the skipper on the bow with the AP running the boat ? :confused:

Here's our Grand Canyon here in Europe: the Gorges du Verdon, just one hour west of Cannes in France.

..and Moustiers at the top of the lake of St Croix.

Rush hour on the river.....

Last edited:
Peter, those are beautiful photos. My Admiral and I are going to do a tour of Europe in a couple of years. So many places to see over there and so much history.

I can't wait.

Yes, the Grand Canyon, the world's greatest example of unfettered erosion.

Peter, those are beautiful photos. My Admiral and I are going to do a tour of Europe in a couple of years. So many places to see over there and so much history.

I can't wait.

Cannes is a must see, and of course a drive up the coast to Monte Carlo; the Corniche Moyenne from Nice to Monaco that runs along the coast is too die for.
Think James Bond from the 60's.....:D

The Gorges du Verdon makes a lovely day outing from Cannes, stopping in Moustiers for Lunch. There's lots to see, including a colony of vultures that were recently introduced to the mountain valley.

My parents bought a small farmhouse in the area back in the 60's, so I've been visiting the area for a very long time; please ask if you want an itinerary of places to visit.

Somebody needs to photoshop a trawler in those pictures!

Bags: I don't know what kind of stuff people are pitching here but everyone knows that there's only one boat that can handle those kind of rapids. The Queen!

Nice ... :) ... the only problem is ...

The two other boats are going to broach being nearly broadside to the current and rapids. This bowrider has a better chance ... in this picture at least ... :hide:

2002_hermittrail02_024_smile.jpg

pics2002_hermittrail02_024_smile.jpg

Nice ... :) ... the only problem is ...

The two other boats are going to broach being nearly broadside to the current and rapids. This bowrider has a better chance ... in this picture at least ... :hide:

Agreed!.:thumb:

Tunnel, funny you should mention Antelope Canyon. We just bought a 3'x5' photo printed on canvas of the Grand Canyon from a professional photographer. We were discussing photography which is a hobby of mine.

Antelope Canyon was one of the places he likes to go to take photos and suggested we make a trip up there. That's definitely on my to-do list. The photos you linked to were pretty amazing.

Lower Antelope Canyon (on a boat):

img_284703_0_faa488de324cbd14410e0afa90ceb1c4.jpg

Upper (dry at the time) Antelope Canyon (on foot, looking up toward the "ceiling"):

img_284703_1_db42c42b40cc485f6895a67fa3aa67ad.jpg

Worth the visit!

Last edited:
Thanks for posting all the pictures. A trip through that area with our travel trailer is on our bucket list.

Dan, I think there are a couple of RV parks right near the canyon on the south rim. From there it's a short hike to where you can look into the canyon and jump on the buses that take you along the south rim route.

It's worth the trip.

Thanks for the info on the RV parks. The pictures are gorgeous even if they don't capture it all. Thanks again for posting them.

Wife and I have discussed it at length and believe an RV trip to the canyon needs to budget 5 days minimum in the park. Bicycles are a must for us YMMV

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom