USCG San Diego Collision

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My reference about "being intimidated by machine guns", I was referring to the general boating public. I know that those of you in the commercial world are not intimidated by them, I was refering to the fact that when a Coast Guard boat used to pull a runabout or fishing boat over for a routine boarding, it used to be a guy in a janitor uniform with at most a 9mm on his waist. Now they are being pulled over by guys that look like commandos with a 9mm, M16, Shotgun over their shoulder, and a***** M240 on the bow and stern, all on a 25' boat....while they are doing the same boarding, the look is much different now. The "show of force" is aimed at others, but they still have to do the same job.

As far as the rest of the conversation, let me just say I hope everyone has a great weekend. I am going to respectfully disagree with some of the comments, and go play on my boat, its sunny and 75 here today.

September 11th, 2001 forever changed the Coast Guard. Prior to that event, it was a Search and Rescue organization that participated in law enforment

Nope the deterioration was long before that , in the 60's it was a place to hide from the draft.

In the 80's they were "lawmen" , instead of the light house keeper service.

"in the 80's they were Lawmen, instead of lighthouse keeper service."

I hate to burst your bubble Fred, but many of the lighthouse and lightship personnel were
undesireables that were waiting discharge. The pot smokers/alcoholic or other problem children were frequently sent to these units to minimize their impact. At least 1 island off the coast of New England had a small "Garden" that didn't include tomatos! As a high schooler in the mid 70's , we used to go there by skiff and "celebrate" with the coasties.
As a young Coastie myself, in the late 70's and early 80's, I saw the reality of the situation. The last of the lightships was still in service, as were the lighthouse keepers.

"(She is no longer allowed on my boat until she can adhere to the captain's
wishes, with no back talk.)"

*Please let me know how this works out, and if you lose any appendages in the process.

Sharkey wrote:

"(She is no longer allowed on my boat until she can adhere to the captain's*wishes, with no back talk.)"

Please let me know how this works out, and if you lose any appendages in the process.
Yeah neither my husband nor I would get away with expecting to always get our way with no discussion!*

Though I DO agree that was a good day to stay in the marina!* We skipped fleet week this past weekend after our unpleasant prior experiences with the ZOO the bay becomes as soon as the show ends and several hundred boaters who normally never leave the dock all head for home at WOT with no regard for other people's safety or the rules of the road!*

...I was standing on Angel Island with a beer in one hand and binocs in the other watching the madness when the show was over.* I enjoyed it more than the Blue Angels!

Ray

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom