Best boat for PNW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Simple Answer...

Look at the most popular models in the size and budget you desire...

There is a reason they are popular.

HOLLYWOOD

We must have an anti-debris force field around us, as we are currently returning from Port Townsend (AP slaved to Coastal Explorer, so we can sleep, play Scrabble, etc.) and after hour 8 of run time I've spotted two seagulls on a log around 12" long, one kelp bundle and a floating cutting board. Weird, huh?

Now, I did wake up for a moment while below (wife was playing her Cello forward), and spotted some people swimming in our wake. Well, maybe not swimming exactly, but treading water while holding onto seat cushions, but I don't count people as debris. :angel:

Delfin,

This confirms my suspicion that you napped on the way to P.T on Friday..
You were entirely too rested and quick witted to have slaved away dodging all the alleged logs, Orcas, cruise ships, log booms on your way here.. Thanks again for opening up the spirits locker and the great time!

HOLLYWOOD

We must have an anti-debris force field around us, as we are currently returning from Port Townsend (AP slaved to Coastal Explorer, so we can sleep, play Scrabble, etc.) and after hour 8 of run time I've spotted two seagulls on a log around 12" long, one kelp bundle and a floating cutting board. Weird, huh?

Ahh, theres nothing of interest on that Anacortes-Pt. Townsend mik run. Buf if you boat in the REAL PNW, from Patos Island north, THAT's where the fun starts. Get up there where the Fraser and Skeena and Stikine are bringing stuff down from the interior and logs are drifiting away from the sort yards like Beaver Cove, and the current rips from 15 foot+ tidal ranges strew lines of crap miles long, and you'll soon get a taste of reality. But on that little ferry run of yours, no, I wouldn't expect you to see much.

:):):)

Ahh, theres nothing of interest on that Anacortes-Pt. Townsend mik run. Buf if you boat in the REAL PNW, from Patos Island north, THAT's where the fun starts. Get up there where the Fraser and Skeena and Stikine are bringing stuff down from the interior and logs are drifiting away from the sort yards like Beaver Cove, and the current rips from 15 foot+ tidal ranges strew lines of crap miles long, and you'll soon get a taste of reality. But on that little ferry run of yours, no, I wouldn't expect you to see much.

:):):)
You are quite right. On a trip to Vancouver for a few days last month I remember having to disengage the auto plot to go around a big kelp ball off the Fraser. Wicked. Fortunately, I woke up cause I had to pee so had an opportunity to see it and avoid possible disaster.

p.s. you do know that the Stikine is about 700 miles north of the Fraser, don't you?

Up here in the real Pacific Northwest (north coast BC) we have driftwood so big, and it wanders around for so long, that it starts growing grass on its upper surface. This brute is probably still out there, getting its root wad worn down as it rubs along the rock walls;

Attachments

• driftwood sue channel.jpg
    driftwood sue channel.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 98
I like my KK42. Wouldn't trade it for anything, other than perhaps a KK48!

- roomiest, biggest Pilothouse out there for 42' boat.
- roomiest salon for a 41' boat.
-Webasto heating in all the interior spaces, including the head. Forced air hear on the PH windows.
-raised helm (refit).
-1.75gph at cruise V.
-PO did a complete refit.
-huge cockpit.
-7.5 kts is fast enough, unless I can get 12 with a roaring tide.

I like the PH. Like driving around in your living room, slippers on.

Went up the Fraser River yesterday. A nice day for a chug-about. Lots of woody debris lifted off the banks with the high water. Also, a salt-water wedge/halocline was evident in the sounder. Apparently it can go upstream as far as the Alec Fraser bridge at high water. On large tides in the fall and winter, the river "backs up" pat Mission, 60 kms upstream of the delta.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Last edited:
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1414975580.403138.jpg
Fly bridge for sunshine and enclosed cockpit for the other 300 days.

Webasto in the Salon, head and V berth.

Trawler lamp or Little Buddy in the cockpit.

Warm, dry and satisfied!

Last edited:
Once it becomes your boat its the best boat until you get the itch for a different best boat.

Best Boat is what you got

Tracy arm on the way to Glacier Bay from Everett. Did the job, created memories of a lifetime. On the way back somebody got on the Radio in Sitka and said get rid of that Bayliner. The day before we'd left The ranger station in Glacier Bay and after refueling in Elfin Cove came down through Portlock harbor via Dry Pass to Sitka in one day. The next day we were at Baranoff Hot Springs via Peril Straights. The next day Wrangell via Kake and Rocky Pass. At that time in my life a fast boat was the perfect boat, especially a boat on a trailer.

Attachments

• library 1 Alaska, pcd, all misc.family photos 298.jpg
    library 1 Alaska, pcd, all misc.family photos 298.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 91
  • library 1 Alaska, pcd, all misc.family photos 299.jpg
    library 1 Alaska, pcd, all misc.family photos 299.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 94
disaster.

p.s. you do know that the Stikine is about 700 miles north of the Fraser, don't you?

Yes, I do. I've flown it about a zillion times in the Beaver and been up and down it as far as Telegraph Creek by boat. That and the Chutine are my favorite rivers in the Coast Range.

Twin Jet boat out of Wrangell

Yes, I do. I've flown it about a zillion times in the Beaver and been up and down it as far as Telegraph Creek by boat. That and the Chutine are my favorite rivers in the Coast Range.
Who's Jet boat on the Stikine ?

It belonged to a mineral exploration/survey company. They flew it in from somewhere.

Last edited:
While I believe good sea keeping in hash conditions is important, more so for people who travel long distance in open water, it is not critical for the average boater who travels in protected areas. I spend a lot of time on the water both East coast and PNW and over the last 60 years of boating I have only been caught out a few times twice in the straight of Georgia. I think sea keeping has to be balanced with a boats other attributes. There is also the argument that a fast boat is more capable of avoiding bad conditions and when caught out may be more capable of running for cover. For example when caught out in the Straight of Georgia in my sail boat I spent 4 hours in the mixer. When caught out in my Lobster boat I put the pedal to the metal bounced around a bit and was out of it in about an hour. With my present boat ,not a bad sea boat, I have the speed when needed to avoid bad weather by planning fast crossings in good conditions or not leaving port when things are expected to be adverse. If I lay over for bad weather I know I can make up the time if need be. Just another way of looking at the issue. For someone looking for a good PNW boat there is a very wide rage of types not all nessaseraly slow full displacement types. My preference for the PNW is the SD with a rage of speed from 6 to 16K. I believe this leaves the skipper with options in planning crossings and rapids transit, important things in the PNW.

This sounds like the way we've cruised BC and SE AK for ~20 summers so far, in a quality-built 26-foot planing hull. We do stay very much aware of weather conditions and forecast, and stay put when it makes sense.

Six knots most of the time, 16-18 when we need it. Four nmpg (at 6 knots) and 110 gallons of diesel gives us good fuel range. We stay warm and dry, have adequate fresh water from our watermaker, take showers on board, etc etc. It can be done in a well-designed and equipped small boat, but there sure are times we'd appreciate more lounging space, and a bigger boat that could handle uncooperative seas more comfortably. So far, trailerability has been the deciding factor for us.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom