Navigation Tools

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kyle911

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Maurader
Vessel Make
Marine Trader Trawler
Hey!

Are there any navigation tools similar to Google maps? It's winter here, but want to plan a couple trips for spring!

Join ActiveCaptain.com. It has several capabilities that will help your voyage planning: a distance path calculator and thousands of anchorage and marina reviews. It is free.

The one downside: it uses Flash so it doesn't work on Macs, iPads and Android devices.

David

Of course all I have is a Mac.

Opn Capn is a great free chart plotter app that runs on Macs. Or step up to Polar navy, or my choice, MacENC.

If you want to plan trips I suggest starting with some of the print guidebooks such as these:

http://www.waterwayguide.com/shipstore/index.php?cPath=21

These will give you a good idea of where you might want to go and the facilities available.

Active Captain is good also but doesn't give you the overview of the guidebooks. It's better underway if you have Internet access.

I use Garmin's Homeport to plot the actual routes and then upload them to my plotter. It only works if you have a Garmin plotter.

Thanks guys! I do have a Lowrance Elite 5 which is a fishfinder/GPS but can't find software where I can plot a course out on the computer and then transfer it to the device.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom