The one Gadget or Piece of Equipment you would add

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BandB

Guru
We're gadget people. We admittedly have equipment that probably isn't necessary. However, we do occasionally use it all.

So my question is for members here, what is the one thing your current boat doesn't have that you'd add first if price was not part of the equation.

Ours would be a filtering system for exhaust, especially generators, to eliminate the soot and smell.

I have a very lengthy list to triage before making that choice. But first I need a much bigger boat to fit it (or them). Not to mention a significantly bigger wallet.

But if I have to shoot from the hip: Freedom Lift

Night vision goggles

We were amazed at the clarity of night vision today. We were just familiar with some of the tv chases and such, like on COPS, where the vision wasn't so good. We have FLIR.

Both have limitations...32 years ago I proposed to senior officers in the USCG that either the USCG or the DoD write the software to combine the 2...not sure if it was ever done...but would be amazing...and amazingly expensive.

FLIR gyro stabilized night vision.

Hydraulic bow thruster.

Ted

Stern extension for an extra 5' length in the cockpit.

Greetings,
Gadgets? Well, why not?

th

Along the FLIR line, we were on a friends boat that bought a camera out of a wrecked, very high end BMW. He mounted the camera on top of his remote control spot light and viewed it via a drop down automotive DVD player/screen. We were able to see birds sitting on the water at 200'. The detail was incredible. Still looking for the right deal.

On our SeaRay I'd opt for a Class A AIS setup.

On the Whaler we just bought I'm going to add a depth/fish finder and bimini.

On the Whaler we have in WA I'm going to add a bimini.

On our SeaRay I'd opt for a Class A AIS setup.

On the Whaler we just bought I'm going to add a depth/fish finder and bimini.

On the Whaler we have in WA I'm going to add a bimini.

You'll definitely be glad you add the bimini. Our tenders/dinghies had the option of bimini's and we almost didn't get them. But we do a lot of exploring as I imagine you may with the Whaler's and we're also conscious of the dangers of too much sun, so we're incredibly glad we have the tops.

Not exactly one gadget, but pulling out all of the hodgepodge electronics and replacing them with a new suite of Furuno or Garmin networked electronics.

Not exactly one gadget, but pulling out all of the hodgepodge electronics and replacing them with a new suite of Furuno or Garmin networked electronics.

:thumb: +1.

Individually, I've got radar, chartplotter, fishfinder, pseudo-AIS (internet based only), mechanical engine instruments, autopilot and ER video. It would be great to have all these controls and data integrated and displayed on a couple panels and MFDs.

A man sized toilet that doesnt clog when u use toilet paper

Stabilizers would be my choice. However, if I could throw a pair of brand spankin new Cummins into my "one new gadget" bundle with my stabilizers I would check that additional options box.

A new helm girl to push the auto pilot button.....

But I do not think the Admiral would be pleased...

HOLLYWOOD

:socool:

Attachments

• capthat.jpg
    capthat.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 365
Last edited:
So my question is for members here, what is the one thing your current boat doesn't have that you'd add first if price was not part of the equation.

Ours would be a filtering system for exhaust, especially generators, to eliminate the soot and smell.

It's a toss-up if cost was not a factor. Either a Wallas diesel cabin heat system or... a good autopilot.:)

As to your wish, you need to talk to Rick Boggs, formerly of this forum. He invented just such a device (that does other things, too) that is selling like hot cakes to the mega-yacht (power and sail) industry.

Last edited:
My friends have AIS, and I'm a bit jealous. I can easily live without it, but ...

It's nice to see everyone's sense of humor returning, so I'll save my flippant remark for the next time.

A good question.

Makes me realize that in the past year we have managed to get everything we need or even wanted for our Atlantic Passage.

I'm going to get the Wallas in the next month or so.

I was thinking maybe a good, real isolation transformer, but as I think about it, maybe not. Why?

It takes practice to do anything well. To have gadgets for everything allows our ingenuity to get rusty.

It's been good for me to have to cobble somethingg together to have heat and hot water.

We're gadget people. We admittedly have equipment that probably isn't necessary. However, we do occasionally use it all.

1. Auto-pilot

2. Radar

I just love the gadgets that go into boating. They add to the fun, and you have the space and time to use them

My car still only has a cassette/radio. I've thought of upgrading it to double din with screen and digital radio and CD/DVD player, but frankly I spend so little time in my car, as we use the Outback for longer trips, I can't justify the expense.

I want a good lightweight crane to lift my dink back up on the cabin top.

No bragg'in here ..... or pics.

Originally Posted by Marin in response to this of manyboats
I'd rather enjoy the scenery and spend more time looking at the water ahead or the clouds and sky and hence the weather ahead the traffic and all else around me/us and how it's changing. Is the surface of the water on the horizon dark and well defined or does it blend w sky? Where'd that little blue troller go? Is that a ferry dead aft? ect ect. So one's style probably chooses wether or not to have AP and how we use it.

That's as good an explanation as I've seen for why we removed the autopilot from our boat and feel no need to put one on again.

In response to this from BandB...So my question is for members here, what is the one thing your current boat doesn't have that you'd add first if price was not part of the equation.

It's a toss-up if cost was not a factor. Either a Wallas diesel cabin heat system or... a good autopilot.:)

Now that, Marin, is what I call a cognitive dissonance… :D

Last edited:
>A man sized toilet that doesnt clog when u use toilet paper<

A Skipper or Groco K will fill the bill.

Its the minitature units like Jabsco that cost less than the rebuild kit for a good unit that have hassles.

Good manual toilets with full sized bowls have been OTS for 60 years.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom