Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
After three or more decades of service, these boats with their wooden holds smelled very strongly of fish, a smell I imagine could only have been eliminated by replacing the wood itself.

Can almost smell it from here. Thanks for thorough description of their internals.

Referencing Tad's post, "haole," which is pronounced "how-lee," is the Hawaiian word for "white," and it's the local term for caucasians. It's not an insult--- everyone in Hawaii refers to a white person, including themselves if they're white, as a haole.

You can turn it into an insult by context and inflection, as in "goddamn haole bugger," but referring in normal conversation to a person as being a haole is totally acceptable.

So the term "haole sampan" started out as meaining a local boat built by haoles for fishing. So the inference is that it's not quite as "genuine" a local boat as a local boat built by locals (which the big aku boats were).

Regarding Al's comment above about the internals of the aku boats, I recall seeing as a youngster a terrific black and white movie about the building of an aku boat in the late 1940s. The movie covered (superficially) the whole process, from laying the keel to sea trialing the boat. I don't know why the movie was made or who made it. I just remember watching it and (being an ignorant kid) being amazed at the complex process of making a wooden boat like this.

I'd give almost anything to get my hands on this film and have it transferred to a digital file. I suspect it was this movie, plus seeing the boats coming and going and unloading almost every day as I went to school and later, to work, that put them in the "favorite boat" position in my mind.

A detail about the tuna industry in Hawaii in those days I will never forget:

A narrow road ran between the cannery buildings (behind the dockside buildings in the color photo I posted earlier). It was how one got out to the point of land beyond them. All manner of pipes ran over the road between the buildings, I guess for steam, water, perhaps fish guts, etc. I drove that road on occasion for various reasons, and the thing I'll never forget is that no matter what time of day one drove down that road there were MONSTER rats using the pipes to get back and forth between the buildings. I mean huge, shaggy Norway rats strolling across the pipe, seemingly as big as cats.

One of the times we went out and filmed on an aku boat, I had to walk down that road for some reason. Perhaps to get or take something to the production van. But I remember watching these huge rats crossing above me. If I stopped, they stopped and stared down at me as if to say, "Hey haole boy, you want a piece of me? Huh? Come on up here you as*hole, and we'll see who walks away."

Rats were a pretty common creature in Honolulu in those days, and most of us who lived there were pretty used to seeing them around, so the sight of one was not anything special. But the cannery rats were something else. I've never seen anything like them since.

Sorry for the nostalgic thread creep, but the whole tuna industry in Kewalo Basin, from the boats and crews to the canning process, was fascinating to me first as a kid and later as a working adult. I still can't believe I lived there that whole time and never took a single photo.

Last edited:
I don't know what to say....

"IT" sure is ugly but I'll bet it's very "form follows function" if the design is a success at sea and on the market.

DSC_4471.jpg

DSC_4473.jpg

DSC_4476.jpg

DSC_4475.jpg

DSC_4444.jpg

The first one looks like a Huckins.

Yes, a a beautiful old Huckins (ton's of them up there since they built/build them next door)
A really nice old Chris Craft and a Dettling 48' which was designed to be the perfect quality couples cruiser. I really like them. Rather rare to find. REAL expensive when new.
These all "winked" at me.

Greetings,
Mr. TR. $175K for a homebuilt? Could it be a bit overpriced or am I not seeing something?

Certainly overpriced for the anemic North American market. I think European prices are generally higher/their used market is stronger.

The term trawler caught my eye, this boat being about as far from a trawler as one could get. It would be a very quiet cruiser. Engine service being more than problematic though. :eek:

Looking for a tie to Sam Matsumoto boat builder in the late 40s in B.C. Canada. Found this in the search, looks as an active boat according to the current owner of 2013 note.

Lillian Belle | Alan Haig-Brown

Al

Looking for a tie to Sam Matsumoto boat builder in the late 40s in B.C. Canada. Found this in the search, looks as an active boat according to the current owner of 2013 note.

Lillian Belle | Alan Haig-Brown

Al

Another vessel that reminds me of the Pilgrim 40 design,...thanks for posting :thumb:

Attachments

• Lillian-Belle_007.jpg
    Lillian-Belle_007.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 139
Hey Al - I punched up link and a page of warnings came up??? I backed out immediately. Best Luck! - Art

Art, take "wannabe windows" out of your filters if you want to see it.:D:D

Sorry Art,:flowers: seems others have a solution.:rolleyes: The site is "Alaska Boat Brokers". Maybe a direct connection would work. Noting sinister in the site and the warning is not viable on this end.:confused: The purpose of the posting was to have all view the seat covers in the passenger area. The thinking was of a political/religious nature.:popcorn::hide:

Al

Sorry Art,:flowers: seems others have a solution.:rolleyes: The site is "Alaska Boat Brokers". Maybe a direct connection would work. Noting sinister in the site and the warning is not viable on this end.:confused: The purpose of the posting was to have all view the seat covers in the passenger area. The thinking was of a political/religious nature.:popcorn::hide:

Al

Now I got it UP! Woops, I say some-tin wrong. :facepalm: :rofl:

No Art,
Bragging on this forum is OK for those w 3600 posts.

Looking for a tie to Sam Matsumoto boat builder in the late 40s in B.C. Canada.

Sam built his first seiner in 1940, the Eskimo, and his last big wooden boat, the 76' New Dawn, in 1960. He was a pioneer of shorter and wider boats, made possible by post war HP increases.....

New Venture built by Sam Matsumoto in 1955 is typical, wider with a nice flair to the bow.

New Venture.JPG

Powered catamarans are rare here except for the ferries. Here is one of two non-ferries I've seen, a U.S. Government vessel designed to collect flotsam:

New one to consider - the Journey 47 Long Range Power Catamaran.

Here's a video;

47 Journey Powercat Video Tour - Journey Catamarans

The website;

Long Range Cruising Power Catamarans by Journey Catamarans

Journey Catamarans 47’ LRC: Speeds (inc WOT capability) and fuel usage are on par with my 34' Tolly tri cabin (however, 7 knots gets reduced to 6 and the 9 knots reduced to 7 for same 2.5 and 2 NM/Gal ). 1 NM/Gal at 16 knots is exact same... But, that’s where similarity STOPS! :rofl:

Cat 47’ LRC

Cruising Speed: 7 to 17 Knots
Top Speed: 22 – 23Knots

7 Knots ….. 2.5NM/Gal
9 Knots …… 2 NM/Gal
16 Knots …… 1 NM/Gal

Galley Forward Design (our Tolly is too)

Price with Standard Equipment Lying Factory – $889,000

At today’s costs about twenty-five (25) of my same model Tollycraft in fine condition could be purchased! :ermm: :D :whistling: :socool:

Last edited:
16 Knots …… 1 NM/Gal ...

Wow. That's about $64 per hour. ... But then I'm not a million-dollar boater.

Journey Catamarans 47’ LRC: Speeds (inc WOT capability) and fuel usage are on par with my 34' Tolly tri cabin (however, 7 knots gets reduced to 6 and the 9 knots reduced to 7 for same 2.5 and 2 NM/Gal ). 1 NM/Gal at 16 knots is exact same... But, that’s where similarity STOPS! :rofl:

Cat 47’ LRC

Cruising Speed: 7 to 17 Knots
Top Speed: 22 – 23Knots

7 Knots ….. 2.5NM/Gal
9 Knots …… 2 NM/Gal
16 Knots …… 1 NM/Gal

Galley Forward Design (our Tolly is too)

Price with Standard Equipment Lying Factory – $889,000

At today’s costs about twenty-five (25) of my same model Tollycraft in fine condition could be purchased! :ermm: :D :whistling: :socool:

How perfectly pedestrian of you. If you feel a need to consider the cost, then by all means move right along. ;) :D

I find it easy on the eyes, especially the express version.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom