Words of wisdom when buying a used Fleming?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

heidiryan

My husband and I are considering buying a used Fleming and are not sure how to proceed from a brokerage standpoint. It looks like about 75% of the used Fleming market is thru Burr Yacht Sales. As I (think) I understand it, Burr (generally) does not "co-op" with other brokers. We are currently working with a (non-Burr) broker which leaves us with a dilemma should we fall in love with a boat listed by Burr. There are, of course, options such as 1) pay our broker an additional commission from our pockets or 2) work with Burr without our broker (not what we really want to do). We have not yet talked with Burr as we don't want to create any "brokerage issues". Any thoughts/experiences on navigating this tricky issue are appreciated, including personal experiences/adv/disadv in working with Burr.

I would think your broker knows the deal too...

Let's see what the brokers on here recommend.

Chuck Hovey Yachts is west coast Fleming dealer. Do not approach any dealer/seller until you have finalized if you are going to use a buyer's broker.

I would do what's right for you to get the boat you want. All these silly rules among brokers are just that - among them. Let them sort out whatever mess they create for themselves. If you like working with your broker, then tell them you want a Fleming that Burr represents and ask if they can help you. If they can't, then go to Burr directly. If the whole thing is causing you to have second thoughts about a Fleming, give Tony Fleming a shout and tell him. I would not pay a buyer's broker out of my own pocket. If you are firm about sticking with your broker, then I'd let Burr and Tony Fleming know that it's a contingency for a deal if they want to sell a boat.

I suggest you call Burr and tell them that you are interested in one of their listings and you want to know who your broker should contact at Burr. Ask to speak to that person and give him/ her your brokers name and that you want to work with your own broker. Then your broker and Burr can work out the details.

I can't speak to the question, but FWIW Burr is right next door, they also keep part of their fleet at our marina, and the lifts at our yard do most of their haul-outs. My impression is that those guys are all a class act; lots of attention to individual boats going on all the time (including owner's boat, not for sale), and the guys we see are always friendly and courteous, etc.

No affiliation.

Wouldn't have thought cost-effective to buy here when there's a west coast equivalent, though.... unless initial intended cruising grounds are out this way, too.

-Chris

Thanks all! I appreciate the input. We are open to buying on either coast and will fit our cruising plans to the boat location. If anyone has a favorite Burr broker they have worked with, feel free to message me privately.

I agree with Twisted Tree!!! YOU do what is right for YOU!!! Your broker understands. If you want a boat that Burr lists, have your broker get the deal done. If he cannot, then get it done yourself. I would NEVER let a broker stand in the way of getting the boat that I want. My broker is my friend and I have bought and sold boats through him. I have also bypassed him for a FSBO boat...twice. He was not happy about it. I was not all that enthused about doing it but it is what I wanted. The payback for him is he ended up selling both of those boats although I bought them FSBO. I had always gave him the chance to find me a boat....but I am a voracious shopper and I know what I want(at the time...;) ). Anyway, your happiness lies with making YOU happy....not your broker.

Back
Top Bottom