Abandon Ship Bag

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Kieth, that is a ditch bag I can relate to!* We've no need for guns for shooting bears down here!* that is pretty similar to what we carried in our ditch bag on the way to Hawaii.* we had a little bit more water and we had some power bars and other energy bars but otherwise it was almost the same.* Our Givens life raft also has food and water in it, as well as seasickness pills and some other survival stuff.* We haven't decided if we will put the Givens on our trawler or get something more compact (it is an 8 man in a hard shell, we are thinking of a 4 or 6 man valise).

Pineapple Girl wrote:

We haven't decided if we will put the Givens on our trawler or get something more compact (it is an 8 man in a hard shell, we are thinking of a 4 or 6 man valise).
Prior to downsizing your raft, I'd recomend you contact Sal at Sal's inflatable boat sales in Alameda and pay him a visit.* Ask if he can inflate a four man raft for you, and then spend half an hour in it.* I think you will find the space available is far better suited for one or two max. Most people are very surprised at how confining rafts really are.* Sal's a great guy, and will give you a lot of good information.....Arctic Traveller

Pineapple Girl wrote:

*We haven't decided if we will put the Givens on our trawler or get something more compact (it is an 8 man in a hard shell, we are thinking of a 4 or 6 man valise).

We had a six man life raft for 10 years when*cruising with just Lena and I.* We had been warned by 2 different companies during recertification not to go any bigger (the raft was getting old and we were looking to upgrade).**It was OK for coastal stuff but for open oceans there were 2 issues.* The larger rafts are designed with a certain amount of body weight to keep them on the water (not to blow over).* This is in addition to the the baffles under the raft that trap water.* The other issue with*the larger rafts,*they*are*more difficult to right, should the*raft*blow or roll over.**The one issue we had with the 6 man raft was*the weight.* We never had to deploy it but in storm conditions it would be difficult at best to step "up" to the*life raft.

Larry/Lena
Hobo KK42
La Paz, BCS, MX

Arctic Traveller wrote:

Pineapple Girl wrote:

We haven't decided if we will put the Givens on our trawler or get something more compact (it is an 8 man in a hard shell, we are thinking of a 4 or 6 man valise).
Prior to downsizing your raft, I'd recomend you contact Sal at Sal's inflatable boat sales in Alameda and pay him a visit.* Ask if he can inflate a four man raft for you, and then spend half an hour in it.* I think you will find the space available is far better suited for one or two max. Most people are very surprised at how confining rafts really are.* Sal's a great guy, and will give you a lot of good information.....Arctic Traveller

thanks AT, that is a great suggestion for me to consult with Sal as to what the most appropriate raft would be to meet our needs!** Sal has re-certified the Givens twice, plus added a hydrostatic release to it*and my husband has participated in one of Sal's life raft demos where my husband jumped in to the water at our marina and climbed into a raft Sal brought.* It was pretty*awesome to*actually SEE the whole process.**

Larry that is an EXCELLENT point about the size--too big can be an issue the same as too small!!

BURNT TOAST FOR SEASICKNESS.
there is more to to abandon ship
You have now to do with stress and may be injury or the death of another, if you have to abandon ship.
this is not pretty no jokes please

I am looking for companies that build small size sea going commercial fishing trawlers.Can you someone please help with this

I am looking for companies that build small size sea going commercial fishing trawlers.Can someone please help me with this

Considering the state of the used boat market , I suggest you go to Boats and Harbors , a magazine and troll the used stuff.

If not in their listings , use the commercial boat brokers that abound.

There are lots of really cheap boats (forced buy out) in Canada that can no longer fish in CN waters.

Hopefully that wont be a problem.

Conversion to a yacht , is usually a very poor choice as a "yacht" trawler and working trawler have almost nothing but the name in common.

What is the boat for?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom