Winter in the Pacific Northwest

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Make
1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
So I was thinking that we in the PNW are lucky as we can boat year round. For our friends east and north of us, they can come by this thread from time to time to help them with cabin fever/water fever.
To help this craving, we in the PNW can post our latest adventures fee of snow and ice and upload pictures to help our poor friends whose boats are dry docked and covered by snow and ice or sitting in a lonely building waiting for boating season.

I will start:

Attachments

• rsz_dscn5714.jpg
    rsz_dscn5714.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 180
  • rsz_dscn5696.jpg
    rsz_dscn5696.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 162
Blue sky? Sunshine?

Up here in the real Pacific Northwest we don't have no stinkin' sunshine!!! (Been raining for weeks :) )

It was nice last Sunday, last day of sunshine for a while. Raining cat and dogs and 40mph winds for tonight!

Enjoy your Winter! MUWAHAHAHAHAHA. Meanwhile, in the delta;
6.11-ski-beach.jpg

Winter is our favorite time in the PNW, followed in order by spring, fall, and summer. But winter is not all hearts and flowers. Attached photo was taken two winters ago when we were in temporary moorage while F and G docks were being replaced with new ones. Yes, that's ice.....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 170
We lived on the boat in the Seattle area. May, June, September where our boating month as the marinas and water where not crowed. October thru April the boat was covered and winterized. When we first got the boat we left the dock several times in the winter, but as the years rolled by less and less. We installed a Webasto diesel heating and camvas enclosure the stern deck and pilot house, so its comfortable away from the dock.

We are presently previewing the California coast and the bay area. The rest of this week we will be in the Delta area, staying at Koa sites. Summer PNW and winter in California. Have to buy another boat for the Bay area. A go faster boat that has less covered/enclosed living area. Being we live on a boat we are comfortable in the 31 ft motor
home with tip outs its about the same area the boat has. I wish we had the run about rather than the SUV. Might charter rent a boat and explore the water side.

Anyway, if the boat is winter out fitted you can boat year around in the PNW.

Thanks guys

Why am I still in Alaska? :facepalm:

Enjoy your Winter! MUWAHAHAHAHAHA. Meanwhile, in the delta;
6.11-ski-beach.jpg

Well ... despite the view, I'll take the Northwest. The movers come this weekend. Next stop Poulsbo, WA. We are looking forward to spending more time on the boat (especially this winter) than we have been able to in the past.

Because a busy day on the water is when you see 5 boats all day :D

yes, wilderness cruising is nice!

But the boat is all put up until March, and I spend winters dreaming of warmer waters!

Last edited:
SICK - SICK - SICK, I REALLY DON'T WANT TO HEAR THIS!!! We are leaving Montana tomorrow to re-take possession of our boat in Portland. All the tools in our mobile inventory is in the "Mexican Stagecoach" for the boat. All I hear on this post is ice, snow, heaters, babe's in tropical underwear. Some one send me some good news!!! I'm changing my location to Portland so can really get some current good weather forecast!!

Oh, you would like a good forecast?

Well its not the Pacific NW, but SW Pacific instead. Not good for the weekend but looking nice for heading out on Tuesday for a few days. Temps in Celsius.

rgg.png

Sometimes it gets so bad here we have to put on a long sleeve T-shirt. I tell ya, winters are rough here.

Now let's be realistic. Winter weather here often calls for sweaters/sweatshirts although some still wear shorts.

232323232%7Ffp63564%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D38847%3B434%3B336nu0mrj

Oh, you would like a good forecast?

Well its not the Pacific NW, but SW Pacific instead. Not good for the weekend but looking nice for heading out on Tuesday for a few days. Temps in Celsius.

rgg.png

Hey, that's where we're headed on Sunday. Gonna direct a shoot in Brisbane for a few days and then it's back up to South Korea for a shoot there and then home.

So I was thinking that we in the PNW are lucky as we can boat year round. For our friends east and north of us, they can come by this thread from time to time to help them with cabin fever/water fever.
To help this craving, we in the PNW can post our latest adventures fee of snow and ice and upload pictures to help our poor friends whose boats are dry docked and covered by snow and ice or sitting in a lonely building waiting for boating season.

I will start:

You do know its not winter yet don't you?
Not to mention we've had the warmest fall in the last 20 years..
I love my boat..but I hate walking down a icy dock.
The water might not be frozen but when its 40 and blowing 30 its just too damn cold to do the boat thing.
For me that is the time of year to crank up the webasto and get all the inside the boat stuff done.
Winter is the only time I envy folks in Florida.
Hollywood

"Winter is the only time I envy folks in Florida."

The RV crowd have figured out that Corpus Christi is about the same latitude as Tampa and Port Isabel about the same as Miami. To far out of the way for most East coast boaters but dandy for us folks. It does get windy though!

It's the rain train. Can be either a fall or winter event but usually both.
Rain = warm.

Blue sky? Sunshine?

Up here in the real Pacific Northwest we don't have no stinkin' sunshine!!! (Been raining for weeks :) )

I knew a guy named Murray M when I grew up in Kitimat. I am Murray W

Umm, I like the Delta and I live aboard in PNW!

I knew a guy named Murray M when I grew up in Kitimat. I am Murray W

Say what?!!?

You talking Murray W of the Stein Street variety; long ago buddy from elementary school and what wee bit of high school I can remember?!!?

We just finished the Halloween cruise. Check out our blog in my signature. Had lots of fun.....

Say what?!!?

You talking Murray W of the Stein Street variety; long ago buddy from elementary school and what wee bit of high school I can remember?!!?

Ya that be me. Hey Murr... Long time. 2005 to be exact ( when Colby and I came to kitimat). We've made an offer that was accepted on a Canoe Cove 41. Hoping to travel upcoast in the next few years. Planning on either selling the Biz or retiring in the next 6 mo. Had enough... This is pretty funny re-connecting this way!

It was 93* here today, no clouds, no wind. Perfect weather.....for Phoenix. Yup, we've temporarily traded the PNW for the SW. We just got back from 3 days at Grand Canyon. When I have time I'll post some pics. But for tomorrow, I'll be in the pool for much of the day.

Gotta go, the ice is melting in my margarita!

Ya that be me. Hey Murr... Long time. 2005 to be exact ( when Colby and I came to kitimat). We've made an offer that was accepted on a Canoe Cove 41. Hoping to travel upcoast in the next few years. Planning on either selling the Biz or retiring in the next 6 mo. Had enough... This is pretty funny re-connecting this way!

Well slap my ass and call me Judy! This proves conclusively that only the cream of the crop rises to be a member here on Trawler Forum :D

Great news on the boat...is it local, and when do you take ownership?

Will send a PM so we can catch up :)

Murray

Murr, did I somehow scare you off? I looked at some images of Sundowner tugs. Very nice! Might be nice to meet up central coast sometime. We are seeking solitude, hence more northerly climes. I have a craving for a fat Dungeness crab.

Lovely boating weather this time of year...

Attachments

• solander.JPG
    solander.JPG
    138.7 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Murr, did I somehow scare you off? I looked at some images of Sundowner tugs. Very nice! Might be nice to meet up central coast sometime. We are seeking solitude, hence more northerly climes. I have a craving for a fat Dungeness crab.

Hey Murr,

No, you can't scare me off that easily! I sent you fairly long winded private message, but maybe you didn't get it because you haven't been on the forum long enough?

I have to take off in a few minutes to go pick up our daughter, but will phone you once I get home. We'll catch up, and talk boats :thumb:

Dust dust and more dust

Blue sky? Sunshine?

The one thing I hate about the Delta is all the damn Dust. If the farmers aren't harvesting they're messing with the dirt. I've got o wash my boat down at least once week. That damn dust gets on your varnish, and leaves streaks dirt streaks on your deck, once a year I have wash my canvas. But then I don't have a lot of mold to worry about so I guess it balances out. The water skiing is slowing down about now but the bathing suits are still out but now they are on fishing boats. It's not that the water is too cold it's just there so many other things to do and after 6 months of skiing it's time to move on to getting ready for winter sports, you know up in the mountains about a hour and half away.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom