one way to do it

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daddyo

Guru
Vessel Name
Grace
Vessel Make
DeFever 48
Yes that's a camper fused into her. Sights in Bass Harbor, Maine.

ForumRunner_20141026_171559.jpg

ForumRunner_20141026_171615.jpg

ForumRunner_20141026_171638.jpg

ForumRunner_20141026_171652.jpg

Esse Quam Videri

In the spirit of RT Firefly, let me express my feeling visually:

Attachments

• eww-face.jpg
    eww-face.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 441
Some people only care about the inside of a boat and they may not be a minority of power boaters. This is my best explanation for the ubiquitous Clorox bottle and box boats. Just a matter of personal preference and they don't care that I have to look at it.

It is certainly different, and inventive in a certain way. But I'd rather see that on the water being operated by a competent mariner than dealing with not so competent drivers helming beautiful marine works of art.

Imagine the cabover camper that used to be on this boat:

232323232%7Ffp734%3B2%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D394%3A%3A2%3A3%3C2336nu0mrj

Last edited:
Homemade?

232323232%7Ffp5434%3A%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D394%3A%3A2%3A3%3C3336nu0mrj

Are you sure that isn't a house type stick built addition with a flat top roof?I never seen a camper that had siding and windows like a house.

attachment.php

Greetings,
While not pleasing to MY eye, the owner IS boating and yes it IS one way to do it. It's NOT the wrapping paper, it's the gift inside that is the important thing.

Well the front half is nice. Still can't believe someone could actually do that.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Trawler

Greetings,
While not pleasing to MY eye, the owner IS boating and yes it IS one way to do it. It's NOT the wrapping paper, it's the gift inside that is the important thing.

:thumb::thumb::thumb:..funny how many boaters think their boat is beautiful....to them....:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Don't know a thing about the boat in the original post, but having a removable "saloon module" or "stateroom module" available for a boat with a large, empty aft deck is an in interesting concept. That would bring new meaning to the word "convertible".

Steve

Last edited:
Yes, it's ugly!

But...

I bet its functional!

reminds me of this....

HOLLYWOOD

Attachments

• tnpb.jpg
    tnpb.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 384
You can't see the outside when you enjoying all that interior space. Gotta wonder how that aluminum siding holds up to the salt spray.

Don't know a thing about the boat in the original post, but having a removable "saloon module" or "stateroom module" available for a boat with a large, empty aft deck is an in interesting concept. That would bring new meaning to the word "convertible".

Steve

Especially if that module was somewhat self-contained and could be dropped onto a trailer frame and towed on the highway as a sort of RV.

Especially if that module was somewhat self-contained and could be dropped onto a trailer frame and towed on the highway as a sort of RV.

A couple decades ago a rental company provided pontoon barges you drove your RV onto to use as a houseboat on the California Delta. Looked similar to this with a small helm station on the bow.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 252
If he likes the inside better than the outside his next boat might possibly be a 36' Carver Mariner.

Possibility is that he built a plywood aft cabin deck cover and "finished" it w aluminum sheet metal like most smaller travel trailers. Wouldn't even take any imagination or creativity .. just a transfer of one material and method to another application. I've seem quite a bit worse looking liveaboard boats in Alaska.

I'd prefer paint.

Here's my favorite, on a mooring in Nantucket harbor.

Attachments

• ACK_junk.jpg
    ACK_junk.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 88
Are you sure that isn't a house type stick built addition with a flat top roof?I never seen a camper that had siding and windows like a house.

attachment.php

It doesn't look all that bad, all things considered. But then again, in college I transferred out of Architecture after 2 years when I realized that I had absolutely no artistic talent whatsoever!

Its the old tug of war between a boat and a house on the water. This tug of war is often evident at boat shows when mom and pop are looking for new digs. I think it was Nat Hershoff, pretty much a pure boat guy is Quoted as saying that there was no need for standing headroom on a boat. He knew well the more head room and accommodation you pack into a fixed LOA the uglier the boat and the worse the performance..

How about this one:

Attachments

• boat for mike.jpg
    boat for mike.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 63

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom