Rental?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swampgatr

Veteran Member
I am interested in knowing if anyone knows of any trawler style rentals for 2 or 3 day periods. I am trying to give my wife and daughter a taste of what it would be like to live aboard. We will not take the boat out. We just want to stay on board at a marina in the St. Pete. or Bradenton area of Fl. Our next step would be to charter down the road but for now we just want to see about staying for a couple of nights on board in a marina. Any suggestions or help would be great. Thank you.

Southwest Florida Yachts in Cape Coral has a fleet of Mainships, Grand Banks, etc that would work for you. But do take it out for at least a day or "cocktail" cruise. They can supply an instructor/captain if necessary.

David

Closer to home are Jung Charters and Chitwood Charters in Sarasota. Grand Banks mostly, Chitwood usually has a Selene or two. I have happily rented from both.

Closer to home are Jung Charters and Chitwood Charters in Sarasota. Grand Banks mostly, Chitwood usually has a Selene or two. I have happily rented from both.

Thank you. I have looked at both of these and it seems they are used to actually take the boat out. For now I am looking at just staying at the dock to give my wife and daughter a taste of what it might be like without spending a lot of money on a charter. Once I get them on for a weekend at the dock I am sure they will be up for a charter.
My goal is to show them what it can be like, get a trawler and go cruising with the longer term goal to live aboard. (maybe sooner if things work out). Thank you for your imput.

I am interested in knowing if anyone knows of any trawler style rentals for 2 or 3 day periods. I am trying to give my wife and daughter a taste of what it would be like to live aboard. We will not take the boat out. We just want to stay on board at a marina in the St. Pete. or Bradenton area of Fl. Our next step would be to charter down the road but for now we just want to see about staying for a couple of nights on board in a marina. Any suggestions or help would be great. Thank you.

I just emailed them with a modified request on staying on board. Will let you know what they say. I think I will also contact Jung and Chitwood to and see what they say. Thank you

I just emailed them with a modified request on staying on board. Will let you know what they say. I think I will also contact Jung and Chitwood to and see what they say. Thank you

I cant imagine any charterer saying no to that unless no boats were available. Enjoy the stay!

Don't rent from an individual boat owner willing to rent their boat to you as long as you stay at the dock.

As soon as money changes hands it becomes commercial use and there will be no insurance coverage as all recreational boat insurance policies exclude losses due to commercial use. So if you leave a burner on the stove and burn down the boat, YOU will be liable.

Whether a commercial chartering company would be willing to give you a special deal if you didn't leave the dock is another question. Ask.

David

Don't rent from an individual boat owner willing to rent their boat to you as long as you stay at the dock.

As soon as money changes hands it becomes commercial use and there will be no insurance coverage as all recreational boat insurance policies exclude losses due to commercial use. So if you leave a burner on the stove and burn down the boat, YOU will be liable.

Whether a commercial chartering company would be willing to give you a special deal if you didn't leave the dock is another question. Ask.

David
Thank you. Did not even consider that. This Is just one more example of how great This site is and the people on it. Thank you

Greetings,
Mr. sg. Welcome aboard. Hmmm....Wife and daughter for 2 or 3 days eh? Rent a BIG one....
th

Greetings,
Mr. sg. Welcome aboard. Hmmm....Wife and daughter for 2 or 3 days eh? Rent a BIG one....
th
Would like to be in the 40-48 foot range when I eventually buy. But for the weekend will try a 36 just to see how the space is and see just what we can and cannot do.
Thanks

Swampgatr, Consider what was suggested by RT above. For some, sitting in the marina would be reason to Not want to be on a boat at all. For some the marina would be the only reason to be on a boat. For most of the boat owners we know cruising out seeing the sun rise/set from a great anchorage, the incredible night sky away from the light pollution of the cities is what brings the good feelings of freedom, solitude and comfort to their lives. The adventure of new places new people to share stories with is so much more fun than the same old dock mates every day. You will do what you think is best for your situation and family.

On the thought of a 36 to see if you all will like it may be false experience if you really intend to go to 48. Just a thought. Don't "shoot yourself in the foot" so to speak.
Footnote we started Cruising with a 28 foot carver and loved for 5 years. Started shopping after the first year and in doing so learned what WE would need to increase comfort and fun. We shopped for about 4 years then found what we learned we wanted. HAPPY, HAPPY, HAPPY.
Welcome Aboard and good luck with your plans.
Toolbuddie.

For someone who hasn't spent time on a boat I think spending a night or two on board even in a marina would be fun. Explore the boat, walk around the marina, chat with boaters then sunset drinks on the FB (sorry Mark) or on the deck followed by dinner on board or nearby restaurant would be fine, and maybe whet the appetite for more boating.
Good luck! Try to do it when the weather is nice you don't want to be cooped up inside the whole time.

Steve that is what really gave us the itch to pursue this hobby. We stayed aboard a 30 sailboat for the night on the dock at Santa Cruz harbor several years ago. Reasonably cheap nights lodging and we liked it much more than our normal Best Western motel room.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom