Tender / Dinghy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish Catcher Jim

I am looking for something that can be used for the basic job of a tender But my biggest need is for fishing.
The boat we are looking to purchase in the near future can accomodate up to a 15 foot boat and has a davit at 1000 lbs.
Now there will be 2 people in it fishing most of the time and in both salt and fresh water. I am looking for the biggest or
deepest and lightest I can get with room to move around and a bow able to handle mounting a trolling motor on it
and able to mount rod holders and a couple of battery box's and maybe even a larger fuel tank.

I have looked at whalers and carolina skiffs but they run so heavy and not sure about the inside free board being deep enough
for the other fishing person. Now I have been told ribs and similar boats work well for fishing but imo I dont think I want to mess with them.
I thought about a deep V or semi or modified v fiberglass but so far all have lower sides and again I want others to feel more safe.

So I know that smaller aluminum boats do not fair well in salt water, but what is fair well anyway? 1 year or 5 years? I mean what about a lot of bottom paint and fresh water wash downs after each use ? I bring up aluminum simply because they run lighter for the size and tend to have a deeper fit. So I am open to any suggestions and as far as HP goes it all depends on the boat but not looking to go much bigger then say 30 horse.
Thank You and have a great week end
jim

Have you checked out Duro Boat ?

The mfg is only 30 min from me .

Duro boat has had issues (lawsuits) over corrosion deterioration from diesel exhaust. Apparently if it is carried on davits, the mother ships exhaust will eat the aluminum.

Having constantly used a 13' Whaler (2005 130 Sport) as tender, family car and fishing platform for 7 years I think it is almost ideal for the OP's purposes, as would be a Carolina Skiff; the latter perhaps even more so depending on configuration. Another good choice is the Livingstons. If fishing is the biggest consideration, in a boat that size, you'd be advised to go with tiller steering rather than console (which my Whaler has, fishing being tertiary to us). A couple of good forums to consult are the Whaler forum at continuouswave.com and The Hull Truth, which is a large, more fishing and outboard motor or dominant venue.

Yeah I heard about that also . I looked at them since they were so close to home . I just bought a used 10 ft Trinka . Should get here this week .

How about a Livingston 14'

There are some hi tech flats boats made out of hi tec super light composits out there that fit that bill....seems I remember carbon fiber, Arimis or some such. Limber up your wallet....

There are some hi tech flats boats made out of hi tec super light composits out there that fit that bill....seems I remember carbon fiber, Arimis or some such. Limber up your wallet....

Hells Bay, East Cape canoes and skiffs, and Egret. But like you said they'll leave a good void in you pocket.

And of course there is the very versatile dinghy that used to be towed behind Blue Sky when she was called Eight Stars....

Bareboat Yacht Charters - NordicTugCharters.com - Image

Conrad, Conrad, Conrad my friend,
That will Not ever work for me.....See I ain't into "Fly Fishen" besides then I would have to start another thread dealing with what kind of rod do you use or I suppose do ya just "Wing It" or perhaps a "Low Approach" would be in order and just buzz that fly right on through there.
Thanks I needed that !! :rofl:
Jim

Last edited:
Duro boat has had issues (lawsuits) over corrosion deterioration from diesel exhaust. Apparently if it is carried on davits, the mother ships exhaust will eat the aluminum.

Hmmmm guess thats a no brainer......go gasoline....:whistling:
Just teasing, thank you for letting me know this.
Jim

Having constantly used a 13' Whaler (2005 130 Sport) as tender, family car and fishing platform for 7 years I think it is almost ideal for the OP's purposes, as would be a Carolina Skiff; the latter perhaps even more so depending on configuration. Another good choice is the Livingstons. If fishing is the biggest consideration, in a boat that size, you'd be advised to go with tiller steering rather than console (which my Whaler has, fishing being tertiary to us). A couple of good forums to consult are the Whaler forum at continuouswave.com and The Hull Truth, which is a large, more fishing and outboard motor or dominant venue.

Thanks George,
I like the whaler 130 but it tends to be on the heavy side but I still have the pdf at hand.
Thanks again....for the links too
Jim

Conrad, Conrad, Conrad my friend,
That will Not ever work for me.....See I ain't into "Fly Fishen" besides then I would have to start another thread dealing with what kind of rod do you use or I suppose do ya just "Wing It" or perhaps a "Low Approach" would be in order and just buzz that fly right on through there.
Thanks I needed that !! :rofl:
Jim

So I take it then Jim that the downrigger option would be a no go?

I think for the weight and size you are looking for , it going to end up being an aluminum skiff. It may not last forever, but they are cheap to replace when necessary.

So I take it then Jim that the downrigger option would be a no go?

Now that you bring this to my attention Conrad, It does have pontoons hmmmmm, down riggers may not be a bad idea and perhaps I could run a couple of plainer boards or out riggers and put a 50 horse kicker on it. Yea, Yea thats it and when the sea's beginn to get a little rough I could just pick up and go or fly to the next fishing spot.....Not bad !!
Jim

This happened to the friends we boat with a lot. Custom lobsterboat, dinghy carried on stern davits suspended in back of the transom. Within about two years of buying the DuroBoat, which had been made here in Washington State, the acid that forms from the combination of diesel exhaust and saltwater (or maybe just water) on the bottom of the boat had eaten holes all over the bottom and had dissolved away half the keel thickness.

DuroBoat replaced the bottom but my friend sold it and bought a new 10' Bullfrog, which in my opinion is the best dingy out there.

Thanks George,
I like the whaler 130 but it tends to be on the heavy side but I still have the pdf at hand.
Thanks again....for the links too
Jim

I used a 1000lb Marquip to get that Whaler off and on the boat deck as pictured in my avatar. That's about a 17' lift from the water to get it up and over the chocks. If you get one without a console it knocks around 100 pounds off and makes it very fishable; had a buddy with an older one set up that way if he was carrying more than three people he could install a little bench in the middle.

Where are you planning on using this?

Our boat came with a Rendova dinghy. It has a down rigger mount and a 40 hp Honda. Great fishing and crabbing platform. No longer made. Made in Washington until the early-mid 1990s. Fiberglass bottoms and inflatable sides.

Mirage Mfg (builder of Great Harbour Trawlers) makes an awesome 15' self-bailing tender. I used our factory demo in the islands for years as a charter chase boat. Priced extremely fairly, they also ride very comfortably for a 15' boat and can be powered with anything from 40-70 hp. Call Ken Fickett (352-377-4146) and see if he will build you one light enough for your needs.

ERIC KRAFT

Attachments

• Skiff 1.jpg
    Skiff 1.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 114
  • Skiff 2.jpg
    Skiff 2.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 98
  • Mirage 15 Skiff.jpg
    Mirage 15 Skiff.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 127
  • P5180036.jpg
    P5180036.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 95
  • P5140018.jpg
    P5140018.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Mirage Mfg (builder of Great Harbour Trawlers) makes an awesome 15' self-bailing tender. I used our factory demo in the islands for years as a charter chase boat. Priced extremely fairly, they also ride very comfortably for a 15' boat and can be powered with anything from 40-70 hp. Call Ken Fickett (352-377-4146) and see if he will build you one light enough for your needs.

ERIC KRAFT

Nice looking boats!

If you don't mind me asking what do they run price wise?

My 11 foot center console 4 stroke yamaha Novarina tender is for sale. Long ways from you though......Fort Pierce FL. Has rod holders.

Oliver,

You know, at this time, i really don't know. - and I would hate to quote a price that they can't be built for at this time (it's been a couple years since I was the sales guy at Mirage.) You will have to contact Ken. His e-mail is kenfickett@aol.com. All I can tell you is that they are VERY well built, soft-riding, self bailing and THOUSANDS of dollars less than their competitors. He'll put any motor you want on it, but Mirage is an OEM for Suzuki. Ken generally has one or two 15 skiffs in stock - and THEY can usually be bought VERY reasonably.

ERIC

Last edited:
Mr Fisherman,
I would not be afraid of Aluminium unless they use a different grade in the USA.
Tinnys are very popular down here in Aus and they virtually last forever.
I run a 12 ft tinny as a tender on my boat with a 15 hp 2 stroke Yammy.
Goes like the clappers , easy to maintain and can be lifted on and off with motor attached with a moderate crane.
Always worth a look.

I do like the look of that Mirage .
Cheers
Benn

Aluminum skiffs are great.

They are light and 99% are planing hulls so you won't have to post on TF about not being able to plane.

That would be my choice but I've got a SD 10' dinghy that goes 8 or 9 knots w a 6hp Johnson 2stroke. Very quiet at half throttle .. 8 knots.

I like the Bullfrogs too but so heavy I'd never consider one. To me a dinghy must be light enough so the engine and hull can easily be packed up the beach (separately).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom