View Single Post
Old 10-25-2014, 10:43 AM   #37
BandB
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
I'll bet the same people who say you can't take your eyes off the water take their eyes off the road to glance at something....
And that has become an increasing cause of accidents on the road. At one time it was just ladies fixing their makeup or dealing with the child in the seat beside or behind you. Occasionally to mess with the radio. Now toss in music players, cell phones, texting. No question open water is far more forgiving than I-95 at rush hour.

I think also we adjust style of watch to the situation. If you're heading up the inland passage to Alaska, logs are a huge part of your watch, other areas it's crab or lobster pots. Off shore it's mostly things that you first pick up at a great distance. But then suspicious boats, as in pirates, come into play in some areas. Also off shore a lot of watching is picking up something on radar at a distance and as you move in figuring out what it is, which way it's moving.

I'll tell you one part of watch and "driving" a boat that sure beats a car. I can stand and move around. Reposition. Keep myself active and alert.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote