cruise last Sunday

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pineapple Girl

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Pineapple Girl 3
Vessel Make
Silverton 38c
Here we are with a few of our friends on Sunday 1/23/11 headed from Coyote Point Marina in San Mateo, CA to Oyster Point Marina in South San Francisco, CA for brunch.* We had even more people*on the way back!* *

Attachments

• pgii op cruise 2011.jpg
    pgii op cruise 2011.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 141
PG,
Wonderful picture of your boat. The best looking sundeck I've ever seen. Is that a Danforth on the bow? Is that you in the pink or are you hollywood black? I haven't looked at the member pics for awhile.

Nice looking vessel!* Like the wood rail, nice touch but not a lot of work.

One advantage of the South Bay is the almost complete absence of commercial traffic (tugs, small cruise ships, pilot boats, tankers, freighters that are quite active in the central and northern bays of the SF Bay Area).* Gotta watch out though.* The*southern bay is mostly very shallow.

I'm in pink, Eric, and I think it is a Danforth but won't swear to it.*

Mark, we found several of the shallow spots in our sailboat.* LOL.* It really isn't that bad as long as you avoid the San Bruno shoal and don't go West of the channel between Coyote Point and Redwood Creek.*

John the teak rail is one of the things that attracted us to the boat.

thanks Don!

-- Edited by Pineapple Girl on Thursday 27th of January 2011 12:50:08 AM

Boat's looking good, Jennifer.* What kind of horns you got there, next to the loving couple in black?

Hey! Is this mid-winter boating in central California or not!

-- Edited by markpierce on Thursday 27th of January 2011 01:07:19 AM

markpierce wrote:

Boat's looking good, Jennifer.* What kind of horns you got there, next to the loving couple in black?

Hey! Is this mid-winter boating in central California or not!

-- Edited by markpierce on Thursday 27th of January 2011 01:07:19 AM
got to love winter in the bay area!*

the loving couple is a father and daughter, aren't they cute.* I don't know what kind of horns they are, they came with the boat.*
smile.gif

We used to sail out of Emeryville marina. Did that for about 15 yrs, in fact my boat was on the hard at the Berkeley yard during the Loma Prieta earthshake.* We would sail down to Jack London Square or over to Pier 39 or Tiburon for lunch.* Loved it.
The first time I motored out of the marina in typical thick SF fog I asked a guy going the other direction how was it out on the bay. He just gave me a strange look and shrugged his shoulders.* Hmmmm.* After about about 15 minutes I came to the channel markers that indicated that I was going back into the marina! I got completely turned around, (obviously not paying attention to the compass).* How embarrassing!*A lesson well learned.*** KJ

-- Edited by KJ on Thursday 27th of January 2011 11:55:05 PM

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Friday 28th of January 2011 04:51:04 AM

PG,
Wonderful picture of your boat. The best looking sundeck I've ever seen. Is that a Danforth on the bow? Is that you in the pink or are you hollywood black? I haven't looked at the member pics for awhile.

Eric, you look at boat with a bunch of good looking girls on board & you wonder what type of anchor the boat has!........I think you have spent far to long in*those cold *lonesome *northern waters*
smile.gif

Wer'e having a little party tonight. Fish, venison and girls. Same order as my post.

thanks for sharing.
at some later point i want to learn more about the california delta.

btw, i cant help wondering if your boat looks a little nose heavy in this shot?

Per wrote:

thanks for sharing.
at some later point i want to learn more about the california delta.

Per,
I've done a lot of boating on the Delta, as I*live pretty close to it.* I'd be glad to answer any questions you might have.* I think markpierce lives pretty close too.
KJ

-- Edited by KJ on Saturday 29th of January 2011 02:58:32 AM

Per wrote:...

*Nah that is just her "interesting" (?) or perhaps "unusual" (?) lines.*
confuse.gif

It's not unusual for a boat to be a bit down in the bow. Unless designed properly since a boat is pointy at the bow and has less flotation there it will ride low there. One would think our boats are all designed properly but many of them are not. You know often you will hear "oh that's a Monk boat". Ed Monk is a very well respected designer and so say'in
"that's a Monk boat" carries a lot of weight. That's not to say that the design is always built faithfully as the designer intended. It would be nice to know who designed your boat, what other boats he designed and what his reputation is/was. Most TTs were designed in the states and built in the eastern Pacific. My boat was designed by Rod Swift and Hale Field but I know nothing of any of their other designs or if Willard executed the design faithfully. I suspect all to be positive and good but I hardly know anything. A boat running bow down is a strong indication she has been designed wrong, built wrong or operated wrong and frequently such a boat will be a handful in following seas. But PG, your boat looks fine to me. A big bow wave to be sure but I think it's just the nature of the design.

I agree with Eric. The boat's pushing a lot of water and that might give it a bow-down look at first glance, but if you look at the hull sheer and superstructure angle relative to the surface of the water the boat's attitude looks okay to me.

Pineapple Girl wrote:

Per wrote:...

confuse.gif

Jennifer, she looks like she is floating on her lines---that is the water line is parallel to the water surface.* She looks like she has a fairly fine entry which would make her good in a head sea.* The "sag" of the wave looks like she is doing well under maximum displacement speed.* Usually a bow like that is on a semi-planing boat.* What speed will she max out?

Moonstruck wrote:

Pineapple Girl wrote:

*Per wrote:

confuse.gif
Jennifer, she looks like she is floating on her lines---that is the water line is parallel to the water surface.* She looks like she has a fairly fine entry which would make her good in a head sea.* The "sag" of the wave looks like she is doing well under maximum displacement speed.* Usually a bow like that is on a semi-planing boat.* What speed will she max out?
Most trips out we*spend*a few minutes at WOT to blow out the gunk or some such technical stuff that my DH understands and I do not.* That particularly day we hit 13.1.* On another day with two ppl on board we hit 15.1.***

ok, funny story, on the sea trial, the broker and the PO were down below and my DH was driving*above.**The PO told the broker we were going 16 knots.* The broker*asked the PO where he was seeing that speed.* The PO gestured to the VHF, "see, 16 knots".*
wink.gif

EDIT: I JUST realized this is why the PO had told the broker the boat cruised at 16 knots!* LOL.

-- Edited by Pineapple Girl on Thursday 3rd of February 2011 04:12:43 PM

PG- Who took the photograph?

Another boat or from land?

Looks very nice.* JohnP

Pineapple Girl wrote:

Moonstruck wrote:

Pineapple Girl wrote:

*Per wrote:

confuse.gif
Most trips out we*spend*a few minutes at WOT to blow out the gunk or some such technical stuff that my DH understands and I do not.* That particularly day we hit 13.1.* On another day with two ppl on board we hit 15.1.***

ok, funny story, on the sea trial, the broker and the PO were down below and my DH was driving*above.**The PO told the broker we were going 16 knots.* The broker*asked the PO where he was seeing that speed.* The PO gestured to the VHF, "see, 16 knots".*
wink.gif

EDIT: I JUST realized this is why the PO had told the broker the boat cruised at 16 knots!* LOL.

-- Edited by Pineapple Girl on Thursday 3rd of February 2011 04:12:43 PM
Jennifer, the speed explains the bow shape.* Probably a sharp forefoot and flatter sections*aft.* To reach that speed the bow should rise.

Love the 16 knot speed story.

JohnP wrote:

PG- Who took the photograph?

Another boat or from land?

Looks very nice.* JohnP
Hey John, it was a friend going to the same place on his power cat.* thanks!

Gosh, seeing that photo reminds me of one of the few reasons I miss the Bay Area, thanks.* One of the very few...............................Arctic Traveller

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom