new 462 Duck owner says "Hello!"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mv moby duck

After having spent years lurking here I thought it time to join. Currently in Doumen, China getting ready to take delivery of my new 462 Duck. This is my ninth boat. I have owned a Nordhavn, 2 Grand Banks, Custom Watson/Pacific Motoryachts 72' Steel trawler, Hans Christian 38 sailboat etc. I cruised extensively on my Nordhavn 55 and Hans Christian sailboat for many years and many 1000s of miles. After selling my N55 I decided I wanted something with the luxury of my N but with efficiency of my HC38 and that incorporated the safety features of both. I have outfitted my "Green" Duck motorsailer/trawler to be able to be completely powered with renewable resources. It has the ketch sail rig and 5 blade Max Prop Whisper fully feathering in the water pitch adjustable prop for complete sail operation, motorsailing efficiency, ability to lie a hull in bad conditions and for stabilization and get home ability. With 2000 gallons of fuel for my JD4045 my range will be almost unlimited. ALL lighting is LED. Paravane system for additional underway and at anchor stabilization. Most of the major systems (refrigeration, water maker etc.) are 24V and can be powered by the 800amph 24V battery bank which is charged by both solar panels and wind generator plus 9kw NL generator for the dive compressor, washer/dryer and a/c. Dickinson diesel furnace for heating. The interior/flybridge with Stidd chairs and teak and granite match the comfort that was in my N. I could go on but I am sure you get the drift. All boats are compromises in one way or another. I think I have accomplished my goal of building the most efficient, safest, and comfortable trawler possible. Looking forward to getting help with planning my cruise across the Pacific after taking delivery of my boat in China like most Duck owners do. Hong Kong to the Philippines to......

Pictures, pictures , we all love pictures.
Boat sounds like it may tick all the boxes.
safe sailing.
Cheers
Benn

After having spent years lurking here I thought it time to join. Currently in Doumen, China getting ready to take delivery of my new 462 Duck. This is my ninth boat. I have owned a Nordhavn, 2 Grand Banks, Custom Watson/Pacific Motoryachts 72' Steel trawler, Hans Christian 38 sailboat etc. I cruised extensively on my Nordhavn 55 and Hans Christian sailboat for many years and many 1000s of miles. After selling my N55 I decided I wanted something with the luxury of my N but with efficiency of my HC38 and that incorporated the safety features of both. I have outfitted my "Green" Duck motorsailer/trawler to be able to be completely powered with renewable resources. It has the ketch sail rig and 5 blade Max Prop Whisper fully feathering in the water pitch adjustable prop for complete sail operation, motorsailing efficiency, ability to lie a hull in bad conditions and for stabilization and get home ability. With 2000 gallons of fuel for my JD4045 my range will be almost unlimited. ALL lighting is LED. Paravane system for additional underway and at anchor stabilization. Most of the major systems (refrigeration, water maker etc.) are 24V and can be powered by the 800amph 24V battery bank which is charged by both solar panels and wind generator plus 9kw NL generator for the dive compressor, washer/dryer and a/c. Dickinson diesel furnace for heating. The interior/flybridge with Stidd chairs and teak and granite match the comfort that was in my N. I could go on but I am sure you get the drift. All boats are compromises in one way or another. I think I have accomplished my goal of building the most efficient, safest, and comfortable trawler possible. Looking forward to getting help with planning my cruise across the Pacific after taking delivery of my boat in China like most Duck owners do. Hong Kong to the Philippines to......

Pics!

Attachments

• worthless.jpg
    worthless.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 844
A dream boat with few compromises, for sure.

You are certainly living the dream. Congratulations and fair seas. Howard

Sounds like a perfect to me (being a long time Buhller disciple), excluding the pocket book issue. Sure would like to see pictures to confirm my jealousy.

Welcome aboard Moby! :socool:

Later,
Dan

Congratulations on a great choice of boat.

I ordered study plans for a Diesel Duck back in the late 90's when George Buehler was first starting out; I built something else instead.

A well thought out design with proven abilities. :)

...used to be diesel duck up the Napa River near the "mud hut".

I'm a huge Duck fan and can't wait to see pics of your Green Duck!!

Welcome! I love ducks and coots! Congratulations. It sounds like you have a vast experience and many miles under your keel(s). Cant wait to hear some stories.

For the Duck fans...these photos were taken in Von Donop Inlet (Desolation Sound BC) in late August 2013.

Attachments

• DSC_0132.jpg
    DSC_0132.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 452
  • DSC_0136.jpg
    DSC_0136.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 608
232323232%7Ffp63587%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D38847%3A%3C646336nu0mrj

(The Ark was subsequently painted a dark color.)

That's it, Mark! She is the very first Diesel Duck. She was built by the Millerick Bros. Marine Construction near Cotati, CA in about 1991. She was first named Patti Ann.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 249
Where'd you find that photo, Ray?

For the Duck fans...these photos were taken in Von Donop Inlet (Desolation Sound BC) in late August 2013.

Interesting, there is another brown duck. The Luck Dragon is a darker brown than Kwakato.

Hmmmm....

Does one have a "problem" if you start to recognize certain boat models, how many are painted with certain colors, and worse, recognize individual boats? :eek::facepalm::angel:

Or is this just another symptom for Duckitis? :rofl:

Later,
Dan

Since Seahorse Marine custom paints their steel boats at no extra cost for the buyer, their Ducks and Coots are individually recognizable, unlike boats with the ubiquitous all-white scheme.

I have no problem with being readily recognized.

Since Seahorse Marine custom paints their steel boats at no extra cost for the buyer, their Ducks and Coots are individually recognizable, unlike boats with the ubiquitous all-white scheme.

I have no problem with being readily recognized.

The colors really do make the boats recognizable.

I recognized the other Coot in the photo you posted earlier. :eek: We met the owners in Anacortes and the boat looks brand new! I ain't kidding either, that boat was immaculate. They had the boat for sale but I think they kept the boat in great shape as a matter of course. :thumb:

The Kwakatu was on the hard in Anacortes when we where there so we had to go get photos. :eek::rofl: We kinda felt like stalkers or peeping toms taking photos through a fence one morning. :angel::D Twas a hoot because while we were stalking Kawkatu, errr, taking photos, George Buehler drove by and honked at us. :rofl:

Later,
Dan

Mv moby duck pictures

For those of you who have asked about pictures go to ducktalk.net and go to the photo albums section and look for 462-14. My website mvmobyduck.com is currently under construction but also has some construction photos of my boat.

For those of you who have asked about pictures go to ducktalk.net and go to the photo albums section and look for 462-14. My website mvmobyduck.com is currently under construction but also has some construction photos of my boat.

Moby,

Thanks for the info on your website. The info on getting to DD central will be very helpful. :D

Later,
Dan

Moby,

Thanks for the info on your website. The info on getting to DD central will be very helpful. :D

Later,
Dan

@dannc:

You're too late! The gangs all here at DD central in Doumen, in fact, the soon to be owner of a highly modified DD462 sedan, Anders, along with Tom, the owner of the first DD542, departed yesterday. It's now just me and the owner of Moby Duck (462-14) here at the shipyard.

BTW, I found that getting here the first time was a piece of cake so you shouldn't have any problems.

Last edited:
@dannc:

You're too late! The gangs all here at DD central in Doumen, in fact, the soon to be owner of a highly modified DD462 sedan, Anders, along with Tom, the owner of the first DD542, departed yesterday. It's now just me and the owner of Moby Duck (462-14) here at the shipyard.

BTW, I found that getting here the first time was a piece of cake so you shouldn't have any problems.

The trip from HK LOOKS simple, I guess we are about to find out! :D

Is the 542 still there? I really would have liked to have seen the sedan! :eek: Tell Anders to bring it back to the boat yard! :rofl: Is he going to Hong Kong for awhile or going to Subic?

Later,
Dan

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom