buying a monterey trawler any tips what to look for

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hello I am new to this forum. I am buying a 1920 monterey trawler used for commercial salmon fishing any tips what to look for? Motor runs good im going to take a closer look on friday. Pictures dont look too bad but also picture are decieving. I know the cabin is in need of replacing all the wood but my main concern is the bottom of the boat. Any tips would be nice.

Thanks

CHRIS

-- Edited by trawlerchris1920 on Thursday 7th of October 2010 03:54:13 AM

Attachments

• sangio veese 10-2-10 006.jpg
    sangio veese 10-2-10 006.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 105
  • sangio veese 10-2-10 003.jpg
    sangio veese 10-2-10 003.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 152
  • sangio veese 10-2-10 002.jpg
    sangio veese 10-2-10 002.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 104
  • sangio veese 10-2-10 001.jpg
    sangio veese 10-2-10 001.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 107
  • sangio veese 10-2-10 012.jpg
    sangio veese 10-2-10 012.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 85
  • sangio veese 10-2-10 013.jpg
    sangio veese 10-2-10 013.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 96
  • sangio veese 10-2-10 015.jpg
    sangio veese 10-2-10 015.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 87
  • sangio veese 10-2-10 019.jpg
    sangio veese 10-2-10 019.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 100
  • sangio veese 10-2-10 020.jpg
    sangio veese 10-2-10 020.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 113
  • sangio veese 10-2-10 021.jpg
    sangio veese 10-2-10 021.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 110
Have a good surveyor that has experience with that specific type of boat.

Thats what i have been told. The price for it is pretty much next to nothing ($500). So where would i be able to find a surveyor. would the marina know how to get in contact with one?

Oh my! What do you plan to do/use this boat for? Tied to dock live aboard? Fishing? Cruising?
I agree with FF. Find a competent surveyor with wooden boat knowledge to give you a reality check before you purchase.
Classy old boat but the work required to bring it back it is mind boggling.

More important than what you will pay for it is. what will it really cost to get it into the condition you,and anyone else who will be using it with you, will be happy with? A surveyor should be able to tell you this.
Good luck
Steve W.

Hiya,
** Mindboggling is a MAJOR understatement!* From the pictures, you have rot on much of the super structure, not just the cabin.* Consider teredo worms. Not to burst your bubble but she may be past her useful life.* I can see an outlay of many, many, many*$$ even if the hull is sound.

Chris:

I can* understand your desire to have a "salty old trawler" such as the one you've posted but you are asking for a lot of heart ache. To put this boat in any kind of shape that you will be proud of (not to mention safe) will cost you thousands of dollars. You are a young man and impatient to get on the water in your very own trawler but please believe the "old guys" on this forum, this is not the boat!

Upon first glace I thought your subject line read "Buying a Money Tree" trawler rather than a Monterey trawler.

Now that I see the pictures it*actually should*read "Buying a Money Pit" Trawler.
disbelief.gif

-- Edited by Doc on Thursday 7th of October 2010 09:59:38 AM

My take - it will be a good learning experience. But, only fix what is broke and do not try to improve it. Do it this way and you will spend less than my NN3 radar/plotter cost.

Monterey trawlers are great little boats. The owner of the Berkeley marine center once bought one and spent 10 years restoring it, but passed away prior to finishing.* You mentioned it was only $500, but I think you should consider the reason for the low price.* I hate to burst your bubble, but even if it was free, just keeping it afloat and paying moorage will be VERY expensive.* Old wood boats need constant repairs by someone who has the skills and can afford the time and materials.* If instead, you want to spend your time on the water enjoying a boat, look for something with a fibergalss hull.* There are plenty of inexpensive boats out there for a beginner.* On the other hand, if you want to have a project for the next ten years, and have a place to haul it out, you will have the learning experience of a life time................Arctic Traveller

What everyone else has said, plus--- what do you want out of the boat? Do you want a project to use your rebuilding, carpentry, mechanical skills on or do you want a boat to use more than work on?

If it's the former, this could be an interesting albeit potentially very expensive project. If it's the latter, look elsewhere for a boat.

Boats have finite lives unless they're Hacker Crafts, Gar Woods, or vintage Chris Crafts that live in a museum or someone's out-of-water, climate controlled collection. Old working boats have tremendous appeal--- I suspect most people on this forum would agree on the aesthetics of an old working boat at the same time they are vehemently arguing the design pros and cons of production recreational boats. The sight of an old working boat, particularly one with a lot of character in the design, can get a person really worked up to "save" it. Truth be known, however, that by the time these boats reach the super-affordable "save me" state, they are generally past saving. Unless one has a ton of money and wants to do this simply because they can.

The boat pictured below is one of my favorite designs. I have no idea of its condition, other than it's still floating. But I do know that to take this kind of a project on would require far more time, patience, skill, experience, and money than I have. I'd love to have this boat if it was completely restored and ran totally reliably, but it would probably take a Bill Gates or Paul Allen to put it in this condition.

The suggestion to hire a good surveyor who is very familiar with wooden boats is the only way to go in your case, but you'd better book him for at least a full day because I suspect he's going to spend a lot time writing things up. Which--- if you want to get insurance, and many marinas require it these days as a condition of getting a slip--- will ALL have to be fixed relatively quickly.

-- Edited by Marin on Thursday 7th of October 2010 12:51:17 PM

Attachments

• columbia river salmon.jpg
    columbia river salmon.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 184
Thank you everybody for you replies. Yes i will take everything into consideration. The thing that i want to do is slowly restore a old wood boat. I have a gift for boats. I Just got done rebuilding my wake board boat. Brand new motor tranny vdrive wiring harness gas tank. everything brand new i did everything myselft and buit everything in that boat. So i would like to have a boat that i could do some commercial finshing off. i have a friend that used to restore chris crafts when he younger. yes i am young but i want to put my useful skills to good work.

There is another boat same one for 1500 in a little better shape but the motor is blown. thats y this one would have been ok because it has everything and it runs..

thanks again for everybodies tips i will serious consider what every body said.

thanks

CHRIS

Arctic Traveller wrote:

....* On the other hand, if you want to have a project for the next ten years, and have a place to haul it out, you will have the learning experience of a life time................Arctic Traveller
Yeah, if he can get it home to work on in his back yard, where he won't be paying for moorage, insurance, etc, then maybe.* But just getting it there is going to cost money.* And then, after 10 years I'd say it's 50/50 at best whether he would have a classic boat in pristine condition or a parked wreck he gave up on 9½ years ago.

I do imagine that he could save the $500 bucks though.* I'm betting that the owner would be happy to transfer the ownership (and liability) for nothing.* Which raises a question...how do you get rid of a boat that is beyond hope?* Other than deliberately sinking the thing offshore, which I'm sure is illegal, how do you go about scrapping a boat that size and what would it cost?

Chris, obviously, we don't know your circumstances or skill level.* From your last post it does seem you have some experience, albeit not with wooden boats.* If this is something you really, really want to do then, hell, go for it.* One suggestion though before even spending the money for a survey.* Presumably there are other commercial fisherman in the area and I would guess that the boat and it's hsitory is well known by that community.* You might try to get some info that way first.

-- Edited by Tonic on Thursday 7th of October 2010 02:21:54 PM

trawlerchris1920 wrote:The thing that i want to do is slowly restore a old wood boat.

You may not have time to slowly restore that old wood boat.

While it is not the best way to judge a hull, looking at the photographs shows it is suffering from "iron sickness." The fasteners are steel and they are rusting away within the planks. That process destroys the fastener and the wood around it so that in many cases, replacing the plank is the only cure. It looks like many of the planks are just hanging on. Do you have the time and money to*refasten*all and replace many planks?

Keep in mind that unless you can get this thing out of the water and undercover for the duration of the rebuild, it will continue to rot and if it is not already there, it may reach the point where it rots faster than you can repair it.* One person cannot paint the Golden Gate.

Good luck, many of us have been where you are and that is why there are not too many encouraging comments.

TThe owner would give it to me for free. But he wants to take the girdies off and the hydrolic pump and radio. I have a 12 x 40 ft dry storage but I can't find a trailer for that big boat. I have a truck that will be able to pull it. Also I would have to take the outriggers off and the big center pole. Its in bodego bay CA and I would have to get it down south to Monterey in order to haul it out of the water.

Tonic wrote:

*how do you go about scrapping a boat that size and what would it cost?
It's not difficult or particularly expensive if you don't count the purchase price and subsequent investment.

Rent a dumpster, buy a box of files and a*few extra chains for the saw and fill the dumpster.

Sell the wire and scrap metal.

-- Edited by RickB on Thursday 7th of October 2010 02:26:05 PM

Makes me wonder.* How much does it cost to dispose/deconstruct a boat?

markpierce wrote:

Makes me wonder.* How much does it cost to dispose/deconstruct a boat?

Here in Juneau, up until a couple years ago, the city simply pulled them up on the beach and after removing all the haz mat, set them on fire.* Next high tide took care of the rest.* Not sure what they do now........Arctic Traveller

Tonic wrote:

Which raises a question...how do you get rid of a boat that is beyond hope?
When the Port of Bellingham siezes a boat for non-payment of fees or an old*commercial fishboat that has has sunk it's slip they have it taken to the local boatyard in the marina and cut up.* Wood, metal,*or fiberglass, it gets cut up and put into one or more dumpsters and eventually gets loaded into the BNSF*trash train for Oregon. I assume the Port sicks its lawyers on the boat owner to*try to recoup at least some of the cost of doing this.

. The thing that i want to do is slowly restore a old wood boat.

I agree , the choice will not be yours to make .The vessel will decide when it needs something extensive and difficult.

Ever replace an entire stem?

It would certainly be a labour of not just love....but total devotion....

"It would certainly be a labour of not just love....but total devotion...."

Maybe 24/7/360 for a decade or two!

"Con la patciencia et la saliva l'elephante la metio a la formiga"

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom