Abandon Ship Bag

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Apache II
Vessel Make
1974 Donald Jones
What is the coolest thing you have in your bag.
I love survival gear.
Mine is pretty well outfitted. I have one thing I think is a must have where*I boat a 4/10 stainless steel snake charmer.shot gun.

SD*

We have a ditch bag but I don't think there's anything particular cool in it. If we had to use it we'd put in the handheld VHF and our handheld GPS, but otherwise it's pretty straightforward stuff--- 25mm flare gun, flares, emergency food and water, rope, survival and first aid books, compass, orange tarp, etc. Were we boating in really remote areas we'd probably have our short 12-gauge, 8-shot riot gun with us with a variety of loads but that's not something we carry on a regular basis.

Taurus .410 pistol, The Judge. Loaded w/ bb shot.

It's hard to have too much survival gear in your bag, unless it sinks or you can't carry it.* In a floating bag (or bags) you might consider

food, flares, vhf radio, flashlight, water, 406 EPIRB, whistle, personal medications, first aid kit, knife, lighters, foil blankets, sunscreen, sea sickness pills, fishing gear, hat (to prevent sunburn and hold in heat at night) raft repair kit, duct tape, and a survival manual.*

The bag should have a lanyard to tie it on and prevent loss, it should float, it should be a bright color, and be readily available, not buried in a cupboard.*

In addition, the seven steps to survival as taught by AMSEA (the Alaska Marine Safety Education Association) are*
1. Recognition* (admit your life is in danger)
2. Inventory (decide what can help and hurt, do first aid)
3. Shelter (preserve body heat with materials that insulate and protect your from the environment)
4. Signals (help rescuers find you)
5.Water (find a safe source)
6. Food (after you are safe and warm)
7. Play* (stay busy and keep a positive mental attitude)

By the way, whats the 410 for?* I prefer the 12ga loaded with slugs........Arctic Traveller

Amazingly, the most accurate rifle I've had was a skinny-barreled .222 break-open rifle with a 20-gauge shotgun barrel below, made by Savage Arms.* The combination is quite versatile.* The .222 is an accurate varmint round, slightly-less powerful than the 22-calibre rifles/carbines the U.S. military uses against deer-sized targets. ...* Last I checked (10-15 years ago), Springfield made a compact, all-metal survival rifle/shotgun tool.

markpierce wrote:

Amazingly, the most accurate rifle I've had was a skinny-barreled .222 break-open rifle with a 20-gauge shotgun barrel below, made by Savage Arms.* The combination is quite versatile.* The .222 is an accurate varmint round, slightly-less powerful than the 22-calibre rifles/carbines the U.S. military uses against deer-sized targets. ...*
http://www.gunsamerica.com/992169414/Guns/Rifles/Savage-Rifles/Other/SAVAGE_24_V_A_222_20_Gauge_Combination_Shotgun_Rifle.htm

If you are going to play with a flare gun , the 39MM is the only one to bother with.

Same with radar reflectors , the old WWII unit that is kept in a tube and unfolded works far better than the rest.

We flew looking at a bunch and the WW II unit could be picked out at close to 200nm, nice if they can spot your raft from that far.

Arctic Traveller wrote:

By the way, whats the 410 for?* I prefer the 12ga loaded with slugs........Arctic Traveller
The 410 is because it is stainless and doesn't rust too much.*
Small and I use it for large halibut when fishing. I have modified it by removing the stock and I made a pistol grip for it. I keep it in the ditch bag. (It fits)**
I keep the bag in a place that is handy. It is good for small game.*Makes it multi purpose. There is enough stuff on the boat now that anything that is multi purpose is, in my book the way to go.

If I plan on going ashore I carry a LRL Grizzly 45 mag. With 220 grain wad cutters I load myself.

SD*

-- Edited by skipperdude on Thursday 7th of October 2010 09:04:55 AM

skipperdude wrote:

If I plan on going ashore I carry a LRL Grizzly 45 mag. With 220 grain wad cutters I load myself.
If that's a handgun, they can be tricky to use because the only way they'll have any effect on a charging bear that's all hopped up on adrenalin is if you carefully jam it in the bear's mouth as it's starting to bite down on you so it can't close its jaws.* I know this because I have a couple of friends in Alaska who used to carry big handguns as bear protection.* They don't anymore, particularly the fellow who lost an ear and fair amount of the side of his scalp to a charging bear AFTER he shot the bear numerous times* at close range with his .44 magnum.* Today, he carries a 12-gauge.

A handgun, even the big magnums, do not deliver enogh foot-pounds of energy to physically stop a charging bear, which is what you have to do because if you don't the bear's momentum will most likely carry it into you and even if it's dying it will probably disassemble you in the process.* The only advice worth listening to is what we were told by Alaska Fish & Game folks when we started taking our floatplane trips into SE Alaska and the BC Coast Range. * Carry a* 12-gauge shotgun with as large a magazine capacity as you can find and if you're charged by a bear start shooting when the bear is about 30 feet from you and don't stop until the gun is empty.* I've had to do this once and it works as advertised.* We carry a short-barreled, eight-shot riot gun when we're in bear country.* Carrying a handgun as bear protection is a waste of time in my and a lot of other's opinon (plus it's illegal in Canada, anyway, which is where we go half the time).

-- Edited by Marin on Thursday 7th of October 2010 12:34:31 PM

I carry the Grizzly because It is the same frame design as the old colt model 1911. I can take it apart and reassemble it blindfolded
I am quite proficient with it. I hand load the rounds myself and I load it pretty hot, using the largest wadcutter bullets I can find, usually the 220 grain. Wadcuttes because they mushroom real nice if you load them hot enough.
I haven't had to use it on a charging griz but next to the Casul it is the largest caliber I can find.
When I first got the gun I shot a 55 gallon drum full of dirt with it at about 25 yards and actually moved the barrel. As a semi auto I can get a lot of lead down range real quick.

I agree Shotguns are better but they are also a hassle to lug around. I have a quick release holster and am comfortable with the griz strapped under my arm.

Thanks for the advice I spend a lot of time in the bush in bear country.*
I worry more about black bear than griz.* Black bear are in my opinion evil they will actively hunt you.

SD

skipperdude wrote:

Black bear are in my opinion evil they will actively hunt you.
Very true from what I have read and been told.* We've only had one encouter with a black bear (it was a Cinamon bear which is just a brown black bear) that climbed a tree and hooked our food containers down.* We heard the thump of the containers hitting the ground so I was able to get over and scare off the bear with a few air shots of the shotgun.* The bear left very reluctantly but it did leave and didn't come back during the rest of our stay.

But blacks can be very nasty.* Currently in the news here is the story of a Seattle city council member who was at his vacation house in the foothills of eastern Washington.* He was outside the house on the road--- I think starting to take the dog for a walk--- when he heard the scraping of toenails on the pavement behind him and the heavy breathing of a large animal.* It was black bear and by the time it was through with him it had destroyed one of his eyes, ripped his face and scalp up, and given him some nasty injuries to his abdomen.* The bear got off him when the man's wife heard him yelling and turned on the outside lights.* But the bear didn't leave but continued to pace up and down nearby, held off only by the lights and the wife's flashlght beam.

People who think black bears are cute, cuddly, and relatively harmless need to think again.

-- Edited by Marin on Thursday 7th of October 2010 01:24:40 PM

Yep,
like I said they are pure evil.
Had a few close encounters myself.
I had my dingy nosed into a small creek and was sitting on the side with my feet in the water when a good sized black climbed into the dingy from behind me if not for the lack of footing I would have been had. I beat it with my fishing pole and it backed off and out of the dingy. I was able to push off and into deep water.
It followed me all the way back to the boat walking along the shore barking and huffing all the way.
Dam thing wanted a bite of me for sure.

SD

-- Edited by skipperdude on Thursday 7th of October 2010 01:40:27 PM

-- Edited by skipperdude on Thursday 7th of October 2010 01:41:08 PM

I don't kill grizzly bears for a living and don't work for a company that does but I once killed a black bear and used to carry a 12 gauge with slugs while hiking on*the islands*of SE.

And this comes straight off the internet so it may not have any validity for some readers and certainly will not influence a bear should you carry this instead of a large bore firearm.<a href="http://www.fs.fed.us/pnw/pubs/gtr152">

http://www.fs.fed.us/pnw/pubs/gtr152</a>

This thread shouldn't degrade into Alaska Bear tales.
For those who do come up to Alaska.
*If you go ashore you should be prepared for a bear encounter.

**** Marin's sugestion to carry a 12 ga shotgun is the best.

Easy for the novice to use. And quite effective.*

RickB's post shows the best to use if hunting broun bear ( bigger than Grizzly )

Brown bear are costal while griz are more inland. Kodiak Island Brown bear are the biggest at an average of over 9 ft.

Be Bear aware and be safe. If you go ashore.

SD

That's a very good summary and worth reading for someone who plans to spend time in bear country.

The "problem" as it was explained to us by the Fish & Game folks we talked to prior to our first floatplane trip into SE Alaska and BC is that a shot from a rifle that would kill a bear outright in a hunting situation-- where the bear either wasn't aware of your presence or was not concerned by it--- will often not kill a bear that's in a full charge. At least not fast enough to do you any good. For the same reason that a human can suffer a tremendous wound in the heat of a battle and carry on at least for awhile unaware of the wound.

This has always been cited to us as the benefit of the shotgun. At very close range--- and I'm talking less 30 feet or less--- it has a tremendous shock power. Perhaps not as many foot-pounds as a large caliber rifle, but the actual impact on the bear has more effect on the bear. In the one case I am intimately familiar with, the impact of the shotgun rounds physically stopped the bear. A high-powered rifle round would have penetrated deeper and probably done more life-ending damage, but at that point that's not the concern. The goal is to physically stop the bear because if you don't it will carry right on into you even if it's dying.

The reason this is important is that protection in bear country is not about killing the bear, it's about avoiding a conflict or defusing a situation so that both of you walk away. To this end, the best bear deterrent is one of those small compressed-gas boat horns you can by at places like West Marine. We first heard about them as a bear deterrent from the Fish & Game folks, and they work very well if you remember to use them while working or traveling in bear country.

With the notion of trying to avoid a conflict in mind, shooting a bear is a totally last resort, and is not done (if you can keep your wits about you which I can tell you is not easy) until the bear is literally on you. Bears have unpredictable behavior--- I've been charged once and figured we'd reached the shotgun stage when the bear suddenly wheeled around and ran off. I have no idea why. So it's desirable to give the bear every chance until it's virtually certain only one of you is going to walk away. Which puts the whole deal in a very small circle of space.

The shotgun also does not have to be aimed as carefully at very close range in a fast-developing situation. The object, it was explained to us, is to hit the bear repeatedly in the chest where the rounds will break apart the muscles that control the forelegs and the animal will (hopefully) go down on its chest and lose momentum fast.

As a long or even medium range weapon, the shotgun is as worthless as a handgun in terms of stopping and penetrating power. Maybe even more worthless. I would never use one to hunt a bear. But at very close ranges--- in my case the bear slid to a stop about five feet in front of me--- it is, I believe, the most effective weapon to have.

skipperdude wrote:

This thread shouldn't degrade into Alaska Bear tales.

RickB's post shows the best to use if hunting broun bear ( bigger than Grizzly )
Uh, that link is to a USDA Forest service study written for the benefit of employees who might find themselves in a bad spot.

"Our purpose was to evalute the commonly used and readily available cartridges (and weapons) for protectionfrom bears at short range. We selected a distance of 15 yards as the point of no return-the distance at which an**obviously aggressive bear must be stopped or a person risks personal injury or death. We stress obviously aggressive, a term for a bear that is charging, with the assumed intent of doing bodily harm."

I personally wouldn't consider that study as an article on bear hunting ...

-- Edited by RickB on Thursday 7th of October 2010 02:35:05 PM

Just meant to say it tells what caliber and type of gun will kill a large bear.
*Not on how to hunt a bear.

SD

For stopping power, one wants a heavy, large bullet with high energy that doesn't completely penetrate the target and so it absorbs all the energy.* A higher velocity rifle such as a 30.06 may have*more energy*but it more likely to pass through the animal than a 12-gauge slug, although bullet-construction choice will have significant effect.

You shouldn't be shooting bird shot in a shotgun for bears.* Best is a slug or perhaps a shell with several*large buckshot.* So, there will be no or little bullet spread at close range and*the shotgun should be aimed rather than merely pointed.* Best to have front and rear iron sights*instead of*relying on a small bead at the muzzle.

It amuses me to see in movies people being shot, usually by a 12-gauge shotgun or 45 Colt, are flung backwards hard enough to crash through windows, etc.* There is*as much energy pushing on the shooter's shoulder/palm as there is in the bullet hitting the target (leastwise as it leaves the muzzle).* Don't expect your bear to instantly lose its momentum when shot.

skipperdude wrote:

Just meant to say it tells what caliber and type of gun will kill a large bear.
*Not on how to hunt a bear.

*?? Did you read the document?

Yes.
*It says what type of ordnance is best. What will stop a large bear.
It also goes on to say that most people unless accustomed to such large weapons would have trouble using them.*

If you have ever shot a large bore rifle you would know what*is mean.
I regularly hunt with a 30 06. I have taken large bull moose as well as caribou with it. I now shoot a 7mm Remington. I have also acted as back up on numerous bear hunts on Kodiak Island as well as in the Wrangle St Alias mountain range. The hunter (the one with the tag)*shoots first then everyone else..

I Would not advise anyone not proficient with firearms to carry other than a shot gun for protection in bear country. A fish and game officer or other wildlife official would be a different matter. Most are required to carry firearms and know how to use them

I shoot all my weapons regularly and*I am very proficient with my hand gun.
*What I carry is my choice.

If I am missing something here please enlighten me.

I guess*I don't get your point.

SD

-- Edited by skipperdude on Thursday 7th of October 2010 06:21:28 PM

The main point in all this to remember is that the goal is to not shoot the bear. We are invariably the trespassers here, not the bear, and in my book the back country we are in is theirs, not ours. But then I'm a sentimentalist when it comes to animals--- I let our dog sleep on our bed which I realize is a horror to some of you
smile.gif

Almost everyone who has seen a bear--- black, cinamon, brown, grizzly, or polar--- in its natural environment is impressed with how magnificent a creature they really are. It's been over two decades since my "encounter" and I still feel very bad about what I did. *From my point of view I had no choice but I view myself as being the bad guy in that situation, not the bear.

Yes, they're dangerous, they're unpredictable, they're sneaky (like most wild animals), and they may view a human as a threat, or food, and act accordingly. But that doesn't make them wrong, it makes them bears.

I have hunted moose in BC because my wife and I like eating moose. But I haven't hunted in awhile now because we came across a local rancher a few years ago who raises and sells bison and we have found we like that as much as moose (and way better than beef). But even when I was actively hunting I had no interest in hunting bear, wolf, fox, or other predators. They have a hard enough time of it as it is thanks to us.

I believe pilots and boaters (and campers and hikers) who travel in bear country and who put themselves in a position to encounter a bear have a responsibility to ensure the safety of the bears. This means doing all the things to prevent a hostile encounter. The compressed gas boat horns are great for this--- we carry them when we're in the back country and beep them off every so often even when we're in camp.

Knowing the kinds of terrain that bears like to hang out in is equally important so you can avoid them. There are publications similar to the one Rick posted about firearms that provide all sorts of good information about bear habitat, how to recognize it, and how to avoid it. I suspect they're on the web these days although I haven't looked--- we have the printed information in our airplane survival kit.

This probably sounds preachy to some of you, but I believe that it is our job to ensure the well being of the other forms of life on this planet. I don't interpret this to mean we shouldn't cut down trees or catch fish or go hunting for meat if you want to do that.* But I think it does mean to respect the animals and give them as much of a chance as we can*to hang in there and live their lives.

In the spring the bears in SE Alaska and coastal BC come down to the creek mouths to feed on the tough grasses that grow there. This (we were told by the F&G people) is to help get their digestive systems working after a winter of reduced activity. That bears like to congregate in these places is well known, and we have seen them on the creeks countless times from the plane. This knowledge does not tell me to "dinghy over to a creek mouth fully prepared to blow away a bear if it should charge." It tells me to "stay the hell away from creek mouths in the spring" or if we*absolutley have to put the plane or the dinghy in one to make as much racket on the way in as possible*(easy with the plane) to give any bears that might be there a chance to leave on their own terms.

-- Edited by Marin on Thursday 7th of October 2010 06:41:49 PM

As boaters visiting BC waters, from the south or north, I assume we would need to provide a non-resident firearm declaration at Canadian customs for a shotgun, correct? Does this usually cause any problems?

That's correct and it shouldn't cause any problem as long as what you're applying to import is legal. We carry some blank forms on the boat and in our vehicles. It used to be that you could simply answer Canadian Custom's questions about firearms, they may or may not have wanted to see it, and that was it. Now they want a piece of paper filled out.

Read their requirements for firearm legality carefully--- some configurations of firearm you would think would be legal may not be.**The barrel of our*riot gun is a wee bit too short for the Canadian minimum length requirement for a cut-down weapon.* But.... it was not cut down to be this short, Savage made it that way.* So in the eyes of the Canadian authorities, it's okay to bring in.* But if I had cut the barrel of a*longer shotgun down to this same*length myself, it would not be legal.

-- Edited by Marin on Thursday 7th of October 2010 07:13:53 PM

Rick,* thanks for the article.* I have carried a 12ga for years in the woods, but learned a lot reading that.* ............Arctic Traveller

-- Edited by Arctic Traveller on Thursday 7th of October 2010 07:13:48 PM

Aside from the gun question, here is my ditch bag inventory.

<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" border="1" class="MsoNormalTable" style="border-collapse:collapse;"><tbody><tr><td valign="top" style="padding-bottom:0in;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;background:#b3b3b3;padding-top:0in;border:1pt solid;">Red Parachute Flares
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="border-bottom:1pt solid;border-left:1pt solid;padding-bottom:0in;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;background:#b3b3b3;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:1pt solid;padding-top:0in;">Red Hand-Held Flares, SOLAS
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="border-bottom:1pt solid;border-left:1pt solid;padding-bottom:0in;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;background:#b3b3b3;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:1pt solid;padding-top:0in;">Orange Hand-Held Smoke Flares
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="border-bottom:1pt solid;border-left:1pt solid;padding-bottom:0in;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;background:#b3b3b3;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:1pt solid;padding-top:0in;">Dye Marker
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="border-bottom:1pt solid;border-left:1pt solid;padding-bottom:0in;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:1pt solid;padding-top:0in;">406 Manual EPIRB
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="border-bottom:1pt solid;border-left:1pt solid;padding-bottom:0in;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:1pt solid;padding-top:0in;">Hand-Held VHF
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="border-bottom:1pt solid;border-left:1pt solid;padding-bottom:0in;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:1pt solid;padding-top:0in;">Extra Battery Pack for VHF
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="border-bottom:1pt solid;border-left:1pt solid;padding-bottom:0in;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:1pt solid;padding-top:0in;">Signal Mirror
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="border-bottom:1pt solid;border-left:1pt solid;padding-bottom:0in;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:1pt solid;padding-top:0in;">Whistle
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="border-bottom:1pt solid;border-left:1pt solid;padding-bottom:0in;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:1pt solid;padding-top:0in;">Horn
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="border-bottom:1pt solid;border-left:1pt solid;padding-bottom:0in;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:1pt solid;padding-top:0in;">Waterproof Flashlight
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="border-bottom:1pt solid;border-left:1pt solid;padding-bottom:0in;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:1pt solid;padding-top:0in;">Extra Batteries - AA
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="border-bottom:1pt solid;border-left:1pt solid;padding-bottom:0in;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:1pt solid;padding-top:0in;">Extra Batteries C
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="border-bottom:1pt solid;border-left:1pt solid;padding-bottom:0in;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;background:#b3b3b3;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:1pt solid;padding-top:0in;">Chemical Lightsticks
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="border-bottom:1pt solid;border-left:1pt solid;padding-bottom:0in;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:1pt solid;padding-top:0in;">Strobe Light
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="border-bottom:1pt solid;border-left:1pt solid;padding-bottom:0in;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:1pt solid;padding-top:0in;">Hand Compass
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="border-bottom:1pt solid;border-left:1pt solid;padding-bottom:0in;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;background:#b3b3b3;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:1pt solid;padding-top:0in;">Cigarette Lighter, Butane
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="border-bottom:1pt solid;border-left:1pt solid;padding-bottom:0in;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:1pt solid;padding-top:0in;">Gallon Zip-Lock Bags
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="border-bottom:1pt solid;border-left:1pt solid;padding-bottom:0in;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:1pt solid;padding-top:0in;">Swiss Army Knife
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="border-bottom:1pt solid;border-left:1pt solid;padding-bottom:0in;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:1pt solid;padding-top:0in;">Leatherman Tool
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="border-bottom:1pt solid;border-left:1pt solid;padding-bottom:0in;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:1pt solid;padding-top:0in;">Capalene/Polypropylene Underwear
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="border-bottom:1pt solid;border-left:1pt solid;padding-bottom:0in;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:1pt solid;padding-top:0in;">Sun Block, SPF 30
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="border-bottom:1pt solid;border-left:1pt solid;padding-bottom:0in;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:1pt solid;padding-top:0in;">Vaseline
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="border-bottom:1pt solid;border-left:1pt solid;padding-bottom:0in;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:1pt solid;padding-top:0in;">Sunglasses
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="border-bottom:1pt solid;border-left:1pt solid;padding-bottom:0in;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:1pt solid;padding-top:0in;">Survival Blanket
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="border-bottom:1pt solid;border-left:1pt solid;padding-bottom:0in;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;background:#b3b3b3;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:1pt solid;padding-top:0in;">Small First Aid Kit
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="border-bottom:1pt solid;border-left:1pt solid;padding-bottom:0in;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:1pt solid;padding-top:0in;">Copy of Passport / Drivers License
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="border-bottom:1pt solid;border-left:1pt solid;padding-bottom:0in;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:1pt solid;padding-top:0in;">Cash
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="border-bottom:1pt solid;border-left:1pt solid;padding-bottom:0in;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:1pt solid;padding-top:0in;">12 Gage Flare Gun Kit
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="border-bottom:1pt solid;border-left:1pt solid;padding-bottom:0in;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:1pt solid;padding-top:0in;">12 Gage Flares Current
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="border-bottom:1pt solid;border-left:1pt solid;padding-bottom:0in;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:1pt solid;padding-top:0in;">Waterproof Notebook
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="border-bottom:1pt solid;border-left:1pt solid;padding-bottom:0in;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:1pt solid;padding-top:0in;">USCG Fishing Kit
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="border-bottom:1pt solid;border-left:1pt solid;padding-bottom:0in;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:1pt solid;padding-top:0in;">Katydyn Water Maker
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="border-bottom:1pt solid;border-left:1pt solid;padding-bottom:0in;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:1pt solid;padding-top:0in;">Magnifying Glass
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="border-bottom:1pt solid;border-left:1pt solid;padding-bottom:0in;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:1pt solid;padding-top:0in;">Distress Flag, Plastic
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="border-bottom:1pt solid;border-left:1pt solid;padding-bottom:0in;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:1pt solid;padding-top:0in;">Water, 125 ml / 4 oz.
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="border-bottom:1pt solid;border-left:1pt solid;padding-bottom:0in;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:1pt solid;padding-top:0in;">Survival Rations, 2x1000 cal
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="border-bottom:1pt solid;border-left:1pt solid;padding-bottom:0in;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:1pt solid;padding-top:0in;">Skyblazer XKT flares
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="border-bottom:1pt solid;border-left:1pt solid;padding-bottom:0in;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:1pt solid;padding-top:0in;">Orion Dye marker
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="border-bottom:1pt solid;border-left:1pt solid;padding-bottom:0in;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:1pt solid;padding-top:0in;">Bristol Smoke Flare
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="border-bottom:1pt solid;border-left:1pt solid;padding-bottom:0in;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:1pt solid;padding-top:0in;">Bristol Hand Held Flares
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="border-bottom:1pt solid;border-left:1pt solid;padding-bottom:0in;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:1pt solid;padding-top:0in;">Motion Sickness Dimenhydrinate 50 mg
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="border-bottom:1pt solid;border-left:1pt solid;padding-bottom:0in;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:1pt solid;padding-top:0in;">Sunblock 30 SPF, 2 oz.
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="border-bottom:1pt solid;border-left:1pt solid;padding-bottom:0in;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:1pt solid;padding-top:0in;">First Aid
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="border-bottom:1pt solid;border-left:1pt solid;padding-bottom:0in;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:1pt solid;padding-top:0in;">1 X 3 Bandaids
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="border-bottom:1pt solid;border-left:1pt solid;padding-bottom:0in;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:1pt solid;padding-top:0in;">Triangular bandage
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="border-bottom:1pt solid;border-left:1pt solid;padding-bottom:0in;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:1pt solid;padding-top:0in;">Antiseptic Towelettes
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="border-bottom:1pt solid;border-left:1pt solid;padding-bottom:0in;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:1pt solid;padding-top:0in;">First aid / burn cream packets
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="border-bottom:1pt solid;border-left:1pt solid;padding-bottom:0in;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:1pt solid;padding-top:0in;">Bandage compress, 4
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="border-bottom:1pt solid;border-left:1pt solid;padding-bottom:0in;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:1pt solid;padding-top:0in;">Gloves, blue surgical
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="border-bottom:1pt solid;border-left:1pt solid;padding-bottom:0in;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:1pt solid;padding-top:0in;">Book, first aid
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="border-bottom:1pt solid;border-left:1pt solid;padding-bottom:0in;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:1pt solid;padding-top:0in;">

</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="border-bottom:1pt solid;border-left:1pt solid;padding-bottom:0in;padding-left:5.4pt;padding-right:5.4pt;background:#b3b3b3;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:1pt solid;padding-top:0in;">(Vacuum Packed)
</td></tr></tbody></table>

Keith, how big of a bag will fit all that?

It's just one of the standard orange floating ditch bags, can't remember the brand name. Of course the GPIRB is in a bracket on the wall as is the handheld VHF. I've also thrown the thing in the pool to make sure it floats with all that stuff in it and it does. I guess I should have copies the quantity column, but I wasn't sure the table would copy and paste as well as it did.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom