View Single Post
Old 10-23-2014, 08:01 PM   #8
Marin
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyschulman View Post
I am sure others can add to this list.
For my wife and I, based on our experience for the last 16 years doing this kind of cruising, a full walkaround main deck that's wide enough to be practical and safe is absolutely essential as far as we're concerned.

The prevelant type of dock in this region is low, floating, and has bullrails instead of cleats. This tends to make it important to be able to get off the boat easily when the boat first reaches the dock. And if the wind or current or both are adverse, getting off the boat easily and fast.

So we want a full walkaround main deck and a relatively low freeboard. The GB32/36/42 meet this requirement fairly well. So do a lot of other boats, including Mark's Coot and Eric's Willard.

I know there are plenty of people who put more value on interior volume than exterior access. Their reasons are not wrong. It all depends on what's most important to each boater, and the conditions that boater encounters. For my wife and I, that nice, wide, teak (great traction wet or dry) deck on our boat is exactly what we want. It's part of what gives us the confidence to to what we do with our boat.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote