Is this a Willard?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
SO

We can now have our cake * * *....................

Naw * ... I see no sailboat that is 90% as good as a powerboat.
Talk to me again after the rubber band quits!

I'm having a little trouble following this thread, but will continue.

FF, Is it too personal to ask (or expect an answer to) what boats do you build?

EH, I have found the VERSA brand of engine mounts here from Hamilton Marine, model M5 which shows it to be good for engines from 250 to 500 pounds. They seem on the same idea as the ones you have.

Dan,Search this:
<http://www.thermoboat.com/pdf/Yachtsman-MotorMount-1.pdf>
Sorry it's not a hyper link. Go to this page and see that there is only one mount that is suitable for our boats.

YC-5-385-625-3-4.

YC * *= Yachtmans Class
5 * * *= 5" between studs
385-625 = Weight of engine and trans.
3-4 * = 3/4" studs

Call them at 888-769-8495

FF, Is it too personal to ask (or expect an answer to) what boats do you build?

NONE , now. Retired for a long time,

Built sailboats , but the market and $$$$ was far better going back to out origional business Outfitting.

Back in the day sailboats like Westsail (Wet snails) were sold empty.

The owner would install the range (gas , kero or alcohol) all the electric toys and the auto pilot or self steering (offshore boats)..

Outfitting commercial boats , 49 pax took far less outlay , and could better expand and contract with the market than boat building.

And you couldn't be forced out of business by a congressional hate tax.

Eric:

Thanks for the motor mount PDF. I put it in my electronic boat file to save for a rainy day.

Eric,

I am a bit confused as to the size calculations for the engine mounts.* I haven't called them yet,* but based on the web-page,

"How to size engine mounts:
Add the weights of the transmission & engine and divide by the # of
engine mounts. Consult the chart to match the working load"

At first glance, does this mean that the rating for the engine mounts is cumulative?* ie, does an engine-transmission weighing #400s need engine mounts rated at #100 each?

Dan

Dan,Looks like I goofed!

Add the weights of the transmission & engine and divide by the # of engine mounts. Consult the chart to match the working load and the
It looks like each mount is considered individually. Anyway the new mount should be
Part # 43192
YC-3-77-220-1/2Gen
The weight of your eng/trans falls much closer to the middle of the range * * ...a good thing I think.
Eric

Hi Eric,

Well, it's good to know that yours work out just fine.* They say bigger is better anyway,* or size matters.

I think maybe I will go a size up from that part number that is followed by GEN.* I think somewhere I read that there are mount that are and mounts that are not okay to use with thrust, ie with propulsion, so I am assuming that the GEN* means for generator.** But that gives me a place to start.

I just talked to a friend who works for the local Yanmar dealership and he is going to work up a quote for the biggest yanmar 3 cylinder.* I keep flip-flopping back and forth as to engine transmission combos,* the shortest combo would cut 18 inches off the total length of the unit and give me 9 inches of working room under the open engine hatch and another 10 inches under the sole.* That would be a reealistic situation for mainenance.* The four cylinder might give just enuf room to be frustrating.

Enclosed are images showing the Perkins as is.** Notee the forwaard round access hole where coolant is checked and added.** There are only a couple inches from the engine to the forward bulkhead.* The mag lite flashlite indicates where the front of the three cylinder would be.* Quite a difference.** If I did make a break in the shaft as talked about earlier I might even push the engine a bit further forward.

Dan Pease

Attachments

• aud engine hatch open perkins.jpg
    aud engine hatch open perkins.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 156
Dan,I'd go w the one ABOVE the one that ends in gen * *...and I'm quite sure you're right about "gen". Probably considering no thrust. The Top mount (YC-3-77-220-5/8) is rated for almost 900 lbs Dan. That should be comfortably close to the middle of the range. The mount below the "gen" may be a bit stiff. *When you talk to Poly Flex make sure they know you're thinking of a 3 cyl engine. Talk to them about what mount to use.
The Yanmar 3JH is a great engine but a bit more power than you need and expensive. Perhaps you would have a lot more space in front of your engine even w the BW if you used the Isuzu 32hp. I think it's a rather small unit (short). Could have more space and the BW too. I'll measure the length of my Mitsu and relate. I think it is shorter than the Perkins.
Yes I can see how far fwd your wheelhouse is compared to my Nomad. I see the FG corner of the berth layup. I'll take a picture of my eng compartment w the hatches open. A PO cut an additional hatch out of the salon floor. Made a HUGE difference in accessibility.

On any new engine avoid the Hurth series of trannys like the plague !!

OR get one at least 2 sizes bigger than "recommended" .

Twin Disc is my first choice , if you can fit it.

The 3 cyl is far smoother than the 4 with less effort , 3 or multiple of 3 if you like smooth.

I would also install a "lift muffler" in a large size , the only noise from the exhaust will be the trickle of cooling water splashing down from the exhaust fitting.

A Side exhaust has loads of advantages , as does the "North Sea" setup with exhaust thru either side.

IN AK it might be moot as the dry stack would be first choice to keep the maint at a minimum .

Guys,* thanks for all the info.

Looking forward to more.

The present 4-107 is 48 inches overall.* The BWVD is 21 inches of that including bell housing.

The forecabin is nicer than most, as it has the hanging locker on each side, helping add some floor room missing in so many vee berth cabins.

Dan

Back
Top Bottom