Greetings from Ontario Canada

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dan5cents

We have sold our vessel and we are beginning our search for a "Trawler". We live on Lake Huron so the usage will be in the North Channel mostly. We are looking for a 34- 37 Sundeck in good/excellent shape (no projects). We put an offer to purchase on a 37' Vista last week only to have the owner withdraw the vessel from the market.

Dan & Ann

Last edited:
Welcome aboard!!:thumb:

Greetings.

Beautiful area. We have friends on Georgian Bay, and try to get up there every year. It would be a great place to do some cruising, but too far for us to move the boat. At least until we have time to do the Loop.

Welcome from east coast. Enjoy our brief boating season.

Welcome. Enjoy the TW forum?

Welcome Dan & Anne, good luck on your search. Southampton eh? One of the prettiest towns and harbours Iv'e ever seen. Used to stop in there frequently years ago as our last fuel stop before heading up that last notorious stretch of Lake Huron on our way to Killarney & beyond. Also used to be on call at your hospital a lifetime ago. Keep us posted on your boat search, you might look south of the border, boats in the US are considerably less expensive and there is a much greater selection.

Southampton - Capt Kangaroo

I really appreciate the insight and have been watching South of the border postings, however really would like something deliverable by water nearby.
I presume you were at the hospital, fire hall, or police station?
What year(s) were you here?

Dan

Hi Dan, hospital late 1970's. Used to keep my boat down at Grand Bend & Port Franks at the time.

If your looking for something deliverable by water and you do see something south of the border on "any" of the Great Lakes I would be glad to help out (free of course) if your concerned about the distance bringing it back yourself. Over the last 40 years I don't think there is a Port on any of the Lakes on "either side" of the border I haven't been in. Even if you don't need physical help, some extra moral support on board never hurts :) If it seems I'm trying to manipulate the situation for a free boat ride, perish the thought, well..... maybe a little. Boating is always more fun when someone else is buying the fuel.

If paperwork is a concern it need not be, there is nothing to it. Pick a North American built boat and you will avoid our ridiculous duty charges of 9%. The 13% HST, which applies "no matter where you buy it" is paid when you clear customs on this side.

Delivery Assistance - Capt Kangeroo

I really appreciate the offer of assistance whenever a purchase happens.
When you were at Southampton Hospital does John Higgins, Dr. Don Mercer, or Dr. Earl or Ms. Matheson ring a bell?

Where are you in Florida and are you boating? We spend the winter in Lakeland in a RV Park Dec-Apr.

Dan

Last edited:
Welcome Dan & Anne, good luck on your search. Southampton eh? One of the prettiest towns and harbours Iv'e ever seen. Used to stop in there frequently years ago as our last fuel stop before heading up that last notorious stretch of Lake Huron on our way to Killarney & beyond. Also used to be on call at your hospital a lifetime ago. Keep us posted on your boat search, you might look south of the border, boats in the US are considerably less expensive and there is a much greater selection.

That picture has changed drastically in the last year. Here in Ontario 60% of my clients are Americans buying Canadian boats because our dollar is in the toilet.

That picture has changed drastically in the last year. Here in Ontario 60% of my clients are Americans buying Canadian boats because our dollar is in the toilet.

We've not seen that in SW Ontario. Virtually any boat of substance comes out of the US.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Trawler

Say Capt K,

If you say you have been around the Lakes, have you ever been to Conneaut on Lake Erie?
Grew up there many, many years ago.

We've not seen that in SW Ontario. Virtually any boat of substance comes out of the US.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Trawler

Most have been southern US buyers looking for fresh water boats and almost all have been boats over 40', trawlers, large motoryachts and sailboats. I have surveyed most of these in The greater Toronto area, Midland and Penetanguishene on Georgian Bay. With The Canadian dollarette at about .88 against the US dollar that's a huge incentive for American buyers.

Come on guys, your hurting my head, I can hardly remember what I did yesterday let alone decades ago.
Dan, I do remember John reasonably well from the bunch. When he retired I recall he was moving to a property he had on the water. He talked about his plans quite a bit but I doubt he still alive is he? Someone told me Doc Mercer was the mayor for awhile. Nice trip down memory lane, you made me recall things I had long ago forgotten.

In answer to your other question we are right next door to you in Tampa bay on the money pit you see in my avatar, we should be in FLA for at least part of Dec & Jan, we will have to try and get together. Here is an idea for you, You and Anne come over to visit and bring a big bag of cash and we will all go boat shopping. The women can drive your RV home and you & I will drive your new mega-yacht home to Canada. Couldn't be simpler. :)

I'll try & send you a private post with my email address if I can figure out how to.

Hi Jim, so your an Ohio boy, big thumbs up! Yes I have been into Conneaut but I confess I had to refresh my memory to what facilities were there. I used to keep my boat just across the lake near Long Point for awhile. The only strong memory I have of Conneaut was waking up one morning on the boat and finding it covered in dust from the aggregate they were loading on the freighters. I understand they spray the piles now to keep the dust down. Also went to school around the corner from Conneaut in Erie, you may recall they called it "Dreary Erie - Mistake on the Lake". Of all the places along the Ohio coast however Vermillion has my heart. Wonderful people and a wonderful town.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom