Anchor chain pyramiding and jamming

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One easy item for folks with chain is the concept of installing a line at the bitter end which can be cut to free the boat if required.

Better to install 2 lines , one free so you can tie a float on , while under heavy load , to locate that expensive ton of chain, before cutting it loose.

Using a grappling hook later to locate it on the bottom is an iffy deal.

On the Monk36 I made it a routine to rearrange the pyramid manually thru the vee berth chain locker door to avoid jamming each time I hauled in the chain.
I like the specs on 5/16" HT chain, it worked well on the Monk36 so when I was removing a very marginal rope windlass on the Manatee I ordered the same chain size for the Ideal windlass I installed.
Your correct FF, I rigged the bitter end of the chain with a three strand pennant long enough to bring up on deck and attach a float or detach the chain and drop it in an emergency. I would use the MOB on my gps to mark the location.
Bill

Last edited:
Use the hockey stick, or a version of this.

I use the windlass handle, with which I reach down into the chain locker while the chain is being wound in, and I knock the top of the pyramid over as it builds. This means I am on my knees while bringing in the anchor, but I no longer have the pile fall on itself the first time I hit a large wash.

Back
Top Bottom