Shorten Mast on my Euro Trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PBR

Vessel Name
Destiny
Vessel Make
Puget Trawler Euro
Just moved my 37' EURO Puget Trawler to a covered moorage and considering shortening my radar (anchor light/spreader lights) mast so I don't have to drop and raise the darn thing every time I come and go. Also the benefit is that we can enjoy the upstairs deck without the big mast, cables and boom taking up the whole area. Ive seen other trawlers with shorter masts and no boom. Its mostly for show, its not very strong and the strands are anchored to the deck floor which I would like to seal up.

Would prefer to keep the wood look but appreciate the simplicity of Aluminum. Also do I need to consider the height of the furono radar for best coverage?(wouldnt be using it while on upper deck) It would be about a foot above the bimini.

In the Seattle area. Any suggestions for cleaning this structure up?
Thanks

I am in the process of doing the exact same thing. My mast was about 2 ft out and inline with the saloon door, making it impossible to manoeuver furniture through the door. (I had to take out a window to get my recliner in. The side stays were also a pain to duck under when on the flyingbridge As the mast was stepped to the keel I had to patch both the deck and flyingbridge. I bought one of those "radar arch in a box" from Atlantic Towers as they are one size fits all and are hinged. You only have to lower the arch a couple feet to get it level with the bimini top. As I had radar, VHF/AIS, GPS, anchor light etc to rewire, this made the reroute of the wires easy. Unfortunately, they sent the wrong size arch so am waiting for the new one that is now due Friday. The radar should not be a concern as in my opinion (here come the flack....).

My mast was painted aluminum and the arch is polished aluminum. I did put the short (wrong arch) up just to see how it looks and was pretty happy. They have plenty pictures on their website. Total cost for arch $1700, fiberglass and paint $200. HOWEVER....the patch looks so good, the boss wants the rest of the back deck redone to match. My offer to scuff up the patch is apparently not acceptable alternative :)

Reactions: PBR
There are a few companies that specialize in wood boats. I used a company out of Anacortes, WA. I brought the mast to them and they resized it perfectly in about 3 days. Anyone with knowledge of woodworking will find this task easy.

Reactions: PBR
I wouldn't worry to much about the height vs coverage for the little you'll be lowering your radar. Here's Furuno's height calculator you can use to get that number.

Radar Horizon Calculator

:thumb:...in fact now tha I've mounted mine on the mast where the last radar was...I think it's TOO high for close in work where I really wanted it....

A typical trawler doesn't need a mast except for things like radar, lights and antennas so if yours isn't doing anything functional, there's no harm in removing it except possible resale value.

You know not to use the radar when it would be close to humans. Consider whether your anchor light will still be visible 360 degrees when the mast is shortened.

Back
Top Bottom