Marina Etiquette

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The only thing that I have done where someone has complained is walked my 12 year old dog from the boat to the car. The gentleman asked me to keep my dog on a leash. He was correct that my dog should have been leashed, so I have no issues with it.

My previous transient neighbor only made subtle sounds. Occasionally heard the radio on the Fox channel (OK with me). He occasionally used a totally silent wind generator. Miss him.

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv37%3B%3B%3Dot%3E2454%3D42%3B%3D66%3C%3DXROQDF%3E2%3A7%3C%3A7%3B88%3B245ot1lsi

I love my oversized (both length and width) berth.

img_277532_0_786da30e7be4179e25783f298e0fee4e.jpg

Eric--- The reasoning I've heard in our marina for the factoring in of a boat's footprint into the slip fee formula is that in recent years a lot of sailboat makes and models have gotten really wide. In some cases, so wide that it makes it difficult to impossible to put a second boat in the slip with it. So the port loses the income from that empty space next to the opposite finger pier.

Also, for awhile it looked like catamarans (power and sail) were becoming pretty popular. That initial surge in popularlity seems to have dwindled and died, at least in our marina. But I'm sure the port was getting concerned at one point about catamarans making it impossible for two boats to share the slip.

I'm not saying the port's decision was justified, but it's what they did.

And in Bellngham, it's my understanding that the marina has to be entirely self-sufficient. In other words, tax revenue cannot be used to support the marina. And we all know that costs of everything from electricity to garbage collection only go one way: up. But since tax revenues cannot be diverted to the marina, every increasing cost of running, maintaining, and improviing the marina has to be paid by revenues collected by the marina.

Some of this revenue comes from businesses leasing buildings or space on marina property--- restaurants, charter companies, the big Seaview North boatyard, and so on. But it also comes from the folks who keep their boats in the marina.

So it's a Catch-22. Marina tennants want good upkeep, repairs, and improvements. But that means they have to be willing to chip in and help pay for them. So we do, and then we complain about the rising cost of moorage, or the new slip fee formula that gets the marina more income.

The "eyes front" thing seems a little silly. Boaters are always looking at boats, so to expect them not to is unrealistic.

That's apparent to me. .. Still, after three years, I continue to receive unsolicited comments from different boaters at my dock such as "you have a beautiful boat," "your boat is my favorite," "I've been admiring your boat for two years," and so on. :blush:

I was recently berthed at a marina that was also a base for a few tourist operations.

On returning to my boat after lunch I found a dozen tourists squeezing themselves onto my foredeck for a photo opportunity.

They angrily shooed me away as I tried to board, but with their lack of a tourguide and my lack of linguistic skills, I had to resort to hand gestures to indicate that they might get off soon.

Marin,
I'm impressed w the practice of not taking taxpayer money to pay for people's boat moorage. I had a 37' slip in Alaska w power and water including nice big bull rails for $50 a month. Guess who paid for most of my slip fees?

But when it comes to my moorage the lower the better as it seems very expensive to me. The way I understand it is that taxes on tidelands comprise most of most moorage costs outside of oil rich Alaska. Of course if I had an aluminum boat my moorage would be less .. but only about $50.

That's apparent to me. .. Still, after three years, I continue to receive unsolicited comments from different boaters at my dock such as "you have a beautiful boat," "your boat is my favorite," "I've been admiring your boat for two years," and so on. :blush:

That is because the term "yacht quality" is all too easily thrown around. While many folks may keep their boat to a "high standard", the Coot is truly kept to "yacht quality". There are custom cars and bikes that are presented for show at a lower standard than you have your boat while cruising and using it. I've found your boat is a benchmark by which others can be measured in terms of upkeep. That and it really is a good looking boat.

Most of the marina etiquette stuff is common sense. And I generally find other boat owners to be courteous and reasonable. Clients of commercial operations aren't always like that, but mostly I think it is not thinking/not knowing what is expected.

I do have name and phone number displayed on my window under a heading "In case of emergencies". That would get me faster than going through the manager, particularly out of hours. And if there is any issue I want to know fast.

When in Puget Sound I found the Edmonds Marina to be well managed. To the extent someone would wash off any bird droppings on the walkways each day. They were strict about length. They would look down the row of pilings from shore and tell you to move in if you were sticking out, even if by only a foot. I enjoyed my time there.

I have found in Brisbane it is typical for the pilings at the end of a finger to be well short of the designated berth length. In my 18m berth the piling is at the 14.5m mark. This gives the appearance of boats overhanging their berths, but it is generally not the case. Some marina's with empty spots will gladly put overlength boats into berths to get income, but technically it is a risk for them and the boat owner as far as legal risk and insurance is concerned.

I have just bought a berth, or at least a sub-lease for it. Now my monthly costs are only 40% of what it was costing to rent. Of that, the marina maintenance levy is 55% of the charge, with government marina lease fee being the balance.

As to the emergency contact information, for friends and acquaintances you'd generally already have it and for strangers the marina should have all that information, so my first step would be to tell them and let them contact the person. Obviously if there looked to be an emergency and marina personnel weren't present, you'd take whatever steps appeared needed. But otherwise, I'd not touch a strangers lines or fenders or cords or boat. I'd leave that to those with whom a contract exists.

Many marinas clearly spell out that they don't have the liability to do anything...even their pilings don't have to keep your boat secure...so it is certainly not in the contract...I know I just read my annual contract and remember Fernandina Beach's 4 page or so disclaimer just for an overnight transient and they are clearly not responsible for anything...

That's why my earlier post suggested there is always one or two old salts floating around that the masses respect. They suggest what is right and wrong at the marina...not legal or moral...just what boaters do to keep things cool....and their wisdom is usually accepted.

Last edited:
Many marinas clearly spell out that they don't have the liability to do anything...even their pilings don't have to keep your boat secure...so it is certainly not in the contract...I know I just read my annual contract and remember Fernandina Beach's 4 page or so disclaimer just for an overnight transient and they are clearly not responsible for anything...

That's why my earlier post suggested there is always one or two old salts floating around that the masses respect. They suggest what is right and wrong at the marina...not legal or moral...just what boaters do to keep things cool....and their wisdom is usually accepted.

What is in the contract is their right to board the boat, move it, tie it. And it's not just a legal point when I say that. Note that I said strangers and it's more acceptable in my view for the marina staff to board their boat than for me to do so. Yes, there are disclaimers so they aren't obligated. But I've yet to run into a situation where something needed their attention that they wouldn't respond. And they do have phone numbers.

Some places there are old salts who have been there forever, but other places you won't see them. Every marina has it's own culture.

In many places...if you waited for the staff to even replace a missing board from a dock you might wind up with a broken leg.

people talk about harbormasters...the vast majority of marinas I've been to would giggle at the thought of a harbormaster "at the marina"...

Sure 4-5 star marinas fit some of the descriptions here...but way more marinas I've been associated with are what they are because of the slipholders....maybe more so than the marina management.

Most of the regulars at my marina will help people docking their boats or leaving a slip unless the dockhands show up. It seems like the neighbourly thing to do. Most will climb on to a boat to fend off an incoming boat as well.

I suppose each marina has its own culture.

I live in the south and was raised in the south, so for the most part manors and hospitality are expected. We live by the Golden Rule or ethic of reciprocity," do to others as they will do to you". Just saying!

In Oceanside Harbor the boats are allowed to be a maximum of 3' over the slip length, and there is a minimum length as well (29' for a 34' slip). I have my Catalina 27 in a 34' slip, but the marina measuring system includes overhangs. With the bow pulpit and outboard (raised), Encore is 30.5', more than enough to meet the minimum of 29'. The waterways between docks are wide enough that overhangs are not a problem.

As for square footage, Oceanside is a publicly owned marina so we get to pay an 'imputed use tax' for the privilege of using public property. The tax is based on the slip's water area and is about $120 a year for my slip.

And I don't let my halyards slap. :D

-----
Dick

The easiest way to have privacy is to nose into the slip.

Stern too allows full view of too much of the vessel (power or sail) and folks find it hard to resist a look.

The easiest way to have privacy is to nose into the slip.

Stern too allows full view of too much of the vessel (power or sail) and folks find it hard to resist a look.

True. But if you're a considerate transient, give some thought to parking your boat opposite from one that's already in the adjacent slip. The stern area is where most people spend their outside time and a modicum of privacy for everyone can be maintained if it's bow, stern, bow etc. This is particularly true if both boats are of the same configuration....sundeck adjacent to sundeck, for example, gets a little too familiar, especially for more than one day.

Last edited:
While alternating is nice if it happens (and not all people want want/expect that much privacy), I would never expect a vessel next to me to dock their boat in any way except what they want...they are paying for that slip just like me...whether transient or not.

In many places...the slip assignment/arrangement will determine which way I dock...courtesy or not as boarding the boat becomes the issue....

It's the rare marina that I've been to that doesn't usually have an area where transients usually go...but true...any empty slip (short or long term) can possibly be a transient slip.

..........., I would never expect a vessel next to me to dock their boat in any way except what they want...they are paying for that slip just like me...whether transient or not.............

:thumb:

As long as they don't hit my boat.

I live in the south and was raised in the south, so for the most part manors and hospitality are expected. We live by the Golden Rule or ethic of reciprocity," do to others as they will do to you". Just saying!

Well the "good ol' southern boys" at the far end of the other dock who party until they pass out at 4:00 AM and keep us awake with their competing high powered stereos apparently never got that message. :banghead:

While alternating is nice if it happens (and not all people want want/expect that much privacy), I would never expect a vessel next to me to dock their boat in any way except what they want...they are paying for that slip just like me...whether transient or not.

In many places...the slip assignment/arrangement will determine which way I dock...courtesy or not as boarding the boat becomes the issue....

It's the rare marina that I've been to that doesn't usually have an area where transients usually go...but true...any empty slip (short or long term) can possibly be a transient slip.

Municipal marinas in Michigan are typically required to maintain a transient to permanent slip ratio of roughly 3:1. The odds of having a transient slip next door is very high. Didn't say a thing about expectations. Just providing some food for thought. Not everyone in a marina is looking for a new best friend.

Mark

When I walked the dock near your boat that is exactly the thought that went through my mind, and if you had been there I would have commented to you.

Yep, every marina has a different character and culture and habits - heck in our marina each dock has a different culture. Dock A is big boats, lots of old money, and many of the families have been there for generations. Rare to get a slip in Dock A. Dock B (ours) has a habit of everybody getting up to help each other land, whether the boaters need the help or not. Kind of just a polite habit thing. Dock C - party and booze dock. Dock H - rich big-sailboat guys who have their hulls copper-coated every season, even though a bottom job and zincs will last 10 years in our water.

Last edited:
Well the "good ol' southern boys" at the far end of the other dock who party until they pass out at 4:00 AM and keep us awake with their competing high powered stereos apparently never got that message. :banghead:

Could it be they know you are a Yankee?????:angel:

"Could it be they know you are a Yankee?????:angel: "

Sorry Ron but that there's funny! :)

"Could it be they know you are a Yankee?????:angel: "

Sorry Ron but that there's funny! :)

Oh no. Southern born and a redneck by the grace of God!!:thumb:

Just mess'in with you Ron!!

Our YC marina has two 80' guest docks for reciprocating Y Cs. We also do not allow "for sale" signs on boats to keep looky-loos away. Brokers and boat workers must register at the front office before going on a dock.

ancora I would think a for sale sign would attract lookers.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom