Need "Facts of Build Letter" for US Coast Guard - 1974 CHB 34' Trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mucho Gusto

I am trying to update my US Coast Guard documentation for my CHB 34' Trawler. I am told I need a "Facts of Build Letter" from CHB.

Any ideas how to contact them - I have a number in Taiwan but they are 12 hours behind us. Anyone know of a US contact or what it is I actually need?

Thanks so much!!

Facts of build? Is the vessel already documented in your name?

Yes but it has no Ship builder or Year Built designated and I am told vessel sevice can only be recreational (not commercial) unless and untill I have a document from the builder. They call it the "facts of build letter". I suppose it could be a certificate of origin or something similar. Just don't know where to get this. It has to have the "facts" of the boat on the builder's letterhead.

Thanks for any assistance.

I don't know. The US Coast Guard Vessel Documentation Center says I need the "facts of build letter" to change it.

They didn't say I needed anything else.

If you know who sold the boat new you might be able to get it. Have you called the documentation office? They are very helpful with issues like this.

Can non US built boats be used in commercial service??

With a waiver.

The Maritime Administration grants small passenger vessel waivers for operation in the coastwise trade. For further information, please go to Maritime Administration Small Vessel Waiver Program or contact Linda Williams at (202) 366-0903, Thelma Goldring at (202) 366-5186, or Michael Pucci at (202) 366-5167.

If built after Nov. 1st, 1972 there's a HIN # molded into the transom, top right corner. This identifies the builder, date, and model. A picture of that should do it......

If built after Nov. 1st, 1972 there's a HIN # molded into the transom, top right corner. This identifies the builder, date, and model. A picture of that should do it......

ahhh good point. Experts here at TF.....:thumb:

For my Australian registration I needed a Builder's Certificate, or alternatively a Statutory Declaration by a registered surveyor (see form attached). I had the form Notarised when completed and it was accepted without a problem. Something like this in addition to your HIN might be all that is needed.

Attachments

• Stat Dec for Builders Certificate.pdf
    93.1 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
In the US the Jones Act prevents non US built hulls from commerce.

You can purchase a Congressman , to sponsor a bill before congress to exempt your boat.

Not cheap.

I am trying to update my US Coast Guard documentation for my CHB 34' Trawler. I am told I need a "Facts of Build Letter" from CHB.

Any ideas how to contact them - I have a number in Taiwan but they are 12 hours behind us. Anyone know of a US contact or what it is I actually need?

Thanks so much!!

Call CHB at 9 or 10 pm your time, they should be open then.

That's good advice for most boats. I have come up with nothing on our boat with its HIN. TAR42120G889

In the US the Jones Act prevents non US built hulls from commerce.

You can purchase a Congressman , to sponsor a bill before congress to exempt your boat.

Not cheap.

Not true, see #7 above, no congress critter necessary.

(12 passengers or less)

Last edited:
I have come up with nothing on our boat with its HIN. TAR42120G889

Many of the Taiwanese boat builders went defunct and the manufacturers ID is not in the USCG database or it might reflect a different manufacturer who registered later. My boat is shown as a wooden boat builder who came along 10 years after my boat was built. HIN's on non US built boats are suspect.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom