Seattle to San Francisco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Your right cruising the NorthWest is great, unless you have to commute from California to your boat. I've made a lot of 16hr runs to a boat in Seattle. That's why mine is in Ca for the moment. I can get all the projects done down here close to home and work. Would I rather be cruising new areas up north , is a frogs butt water tight, do fish swim, is the pope a Catholic? Than again we do have 9 months of sun and summers with warm water, warm dry days , and cooling evenings. Heck were still harvesting tomatoes, the grape leaves are just starting to turn, and were still water skiing. By the way the wine tasting, well it's world class.

I thought you guys were out of water and started hauling glaciers from Alaska???:eek:

Why not supertankers from BC

I thought you guys were out of water and started hauling glaciers from Alaska???:eek:
Hell we pay more for bottled water than we do fuel, Why not bring it down from BC and Alaska in supertankers. The lakes are looking pretty dry, The Delta close to Sea level so we'll have water there, it might be salty but we'll be floating. Thinking about it the Columbia has plenty of water, well just pump it from there.

Ha, sounds like you are proposing a west coast intercoastal waterway! Nope, wouldn't work, LA would then take all the water........

Your right cruising the NorthWest is great, unless you have to commute from California to your boat. I've made a lot of 16hr runs to a boat in Seattle. That's why mine is in Ca for the moment. I can get all the projects done down here close to home and work. Would I rather be cruising new areas up north , is a frogs butt water tight, do fish swim, is the pope a Catholic? Than again we do have 9 months of sun and summers with warm water, warm dry days , and cooling evenings. Heck were still harvesting tomatoes, the grape leaves are just starting to turn, and were still water skiing. By the way the wine tasting, well it's world class.

Shhhhh!! C'mon, Steve. You're blowing our secret.

Hey guys, it SUCKS down here. We all hate it and can't wait to leave. Don't waste your time coming this way. You probably won't like it either. \

Gotta run and prep for more fishing and cruising in this hell hole! :D

Shhhhh!! C'mon, Steve. You're blowing our secret.

Hey guys, it SUCKS down here. We all hate it and can't wait to leave. Don't waste your time coming this way. You probably won't like it either. \

Gotta run and prep for more fishing and cruising in this hell hole! :D

Forty million souls living cheek to cheek, paying egregious state taxes, thinking 50 miles is a boat trip and governed by Pelosi can't be wrong. ;)

Forty million souls living cheek to cheek, paying egregious state taxes, thinking 50 miles is a boat trip and governed by Pelosi can't be wrong. ;)

:eek::facepalm: "Thanks" for the reminder. :rolleyes:

I find it a bit ironic that there's so much interest in moving boats South from what is one of the world's best cruising areas. ;)

Socal and the PNW are exact opposite...
We have all the water, you have all the Sun... sometimes we need a little sun.

Hollywood

What were the 15? For example it would be pretty hard if not impossible to get an 85 footer into either marina in Noyo River.

Grays Harbor, Westport Marina*
Columbia River, Port of Astoria*
Tillamook, Garibaldi Marina
Yoquina River-Commercial docks on both sides.
Siuslaw River, Port of Siuslaw*
Umpqua River, Winchester Bay
Coos Bay, Charleston Marina*
Coquette River, Port of Bandon
Rogue River, Port of Gold Beach
Chetco Cove, Port of Brookings Harbor*
Crescent City Harbor, Crescent City Harbor Marina
Humbolt Bay, Eureka Public Marina or Woodley Island Marina*
Noyo River, Noyo Mooring Basin
Bodega Bay, Spud Point Marina or Porto Bodega*

Yes, I know it's 14. Intentionally left one off.

I put asterisks beside the 7 places we have actually docked and had no problem. Of course conditions can vary greatly. Some of the others would be a challenge for an 85' and/or take a commercial dock or the marina has only one spot for a large boat. However, I think many would work fine for the boat he may have in mind.

My wife and I are presemtly doing a pre run from Seattle to the boarder with our land yacht, motor home. We have stopped at most of the ports listed. We are presently in Coos Bay. We plan on spending several days exploring the SF Delta. I retired Sept 1, so we plan on going South for 6 to 9 months and PNW 3 to 6 months. Might move the boat south.

IF we did it would take us months if not years. I install a boatnanny, wireless security system so we can monitor the boat 24/7. Works great, bilge, temp, power, motion and sound. 12 every day sends a status report or if an alarm goes off. Be in the bay area mid next week. 100 miles per day is enough.

I've read books of those on the canals of Europe who took van and boat. They would move the boat a distance, then bicycle back to the van and move it. Generally though you can find some way back to your base or vehicle. Also sometimes you have someone who would just as soon travel on land and meet the boat.

My wife and I are presemtly doing a pre run from Seattle to the boarder with our land yacht, motor home. We have stopped at most of the ports listed. We are presently in Coos Bay. We plan on spending several days exploring the SF Delta. I retired Sept 1, so we plan on going South for 6 to 9 months and PNW 3 to 6 months. Might move the boat south.

IF we did it would take us months if not years. I install a boatnanny, wireless security system so we can monitor the boat 24/7. Works great, bilge, temp, power, motion and sound. 12 every day sends a status report or if an alarm goes off. Be in the bay area mid next week. 100 miles per day is enough.

You are doing my road trip!

We're following in 60 days!+-

Socal and the PNW are exact opposite...
We have all the water, you have all the Sun... sometimes we need a little sun.

Hollywood

Isn't that the truth! When we were putting home last Sunday from a week of fun in St. Helens OR, the sun came out, the Admiral disappeared. Then I saw her sitting on the bow soaking up the sunshine... Now it is going to rain for a solid 10-days.... But I can still boat!!

Not looking too good this week:

U.S. Coast Guard Bar Observations

That's for sure. Even Umpqua with no restrictions doesn't look good to me. We were very lucky when we came down the coast. We're in FL at the moment so haven't been following the conditions there, but these are the times that you don't leave the marina you last pulled into and don't plan to for a while. You react enough ahead of time not to find yourself off the Oregon coast on a day like today.

For those of us living in FL, these west coast conditions are definitely a different world.

I spent a little over a year at St Helens Marina

Isn't that the truth! When we were putting home last Sunday from a week of fun in St. Helens OR, the sun came out, the Admiral disappeared. Then I saw her sitting on the bow soaking up the sunshine... Now it is going to rain for a solid 10-days.... But I can still boat!!
Don't tell me you didn't linger along those Sauvie Island Beaches!

What a surprise first time up the river, who would have thought , in Oregon no less.

Of course anyone would have thought. Portland has more strip clubs per capita than any other city. You could look it up. My son owned and drove cabs there for a few years, and passed this statistic of civic pride along. He was a boat detailer there for a little while too, heard the stories.

What a surprise first time up the river, who would have thought , in Oregon no less.

Not the first time, but the first time (in my slow boat) while it was warm and I wasn't doing Sea Ray speed....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom