Wooden Boat Festival

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KJ

El Capitan
Vessel Name
Avalon
Vessel Make
Chung Hwa 46 LRC
I'm going to the Georgetown Wooden Boat Festival this weekend. From the parade of boats that have passed by on their way there, it looks like it should be a pretty interesting event. KJ

I'm taking my ride down there. Running out the Cape Fear River to Winyah Bay. Not sure of the swell from that storm that is going to be stomping on Bermuda. Might have to do a ditch run. If I can run offshore, I'll leave super early Sat. Ditch run, half day Fri, half day Sat.

Been there a few times over the last five years. Entered the boatbuilding contest last year and lost BADLY. This year, just going to enjoy it.

Sounds like fun . I wish we had wooden boat festivals in our area . I'm sure there will be another "NASCAR on the water bass tournament " this weekend here :eek:

That is quite a show in Tasmania, judging by the video from last year. Share any photos, please.

Oh wait, the next one is 2015.

Boat Show

Here's some pics of the show. I will post a couple more later. KJ

1429-albums299-picture1698.jpg

1429-albums299-picture1697.jpg

1429-albums299-picture1700.jpg

1429-albums299-picture1701.jpg

1429-albums299-picture1702.jpg

1429-albums299-picture1703.jpg

1429-albums299-picture1704.jpg

1429-albums299-picture1707.jpg

Georgetown, SC had a serious fire on the waterfront a year or so ago. Has it been rebuilt? How does it look?

Only a few buildings are gone. They are still clearing some of the area. It's fenced off but it's not a big deal as it doesn't really affect the Harborwalk. KJ

Last edited:
"Colleen". Simple but elegant.

1429-albums299-picture1712.jpg

1429-albums299-picture1713.jpg

1429-albums299-picture1714.jpg

1429-albums299-picture1716.jpg

1429-albums299-picture1715.jpg

1429-albums299-picture1719.jpg

My boat is sorta visible right behind the Colleen in first photo. Mine is not museum quality, and it was showing it!! Run hard and put up wet. But it was fun to go. The 1943 Core Sounder "Karen", post 6 last photo, is owned by friends of mine. It was directly in front of "Colleen".

It was a good show. Rowing contest turned into a battle with collisions!!

The burned out buildings have left a gap in the waterfront. Considering permits, architecture, etc, it will take a while to build something that fits there. Not a simple process adding new structure to old, meeting code AND fitting in with old stuff. Can't build it now like they did it then.

Ended up going both ways in the ditch. Fri had the swell from the Bermuda storm, and some decent wind chop on top. Sun blowing pretty hard out of the north. Also the ditch run is 109nm, offshore is 125nm. Winyah Bay and Frying Pan take me a good bit off the straight line. Not that the ditch is that straight, either, but more so than offshore. Last offshore trip took 7hrs, ditch about 9 and half.

................. The burned out buildings have left a gap in the waterfront. Considering permits, architecture, etc, it will take a while to build something that fits there. Not a simple process adding new structure to old, meeting code AND fitting in with old stuff. Can't build it now like they did it then............. .

I saw a report on the TV news (you know how that goes) where it seems the holdup is between the state and the city of how a special grant can be used. Meanwhile the business owners and land owners are held hostage in the middle.

I need to get out there some day.

You guys on the right coast have boats we westerners can only dream about or look at pictures. Not having anything real the pics are great though ... thanks.

Ski, do you have more pics of your boat?

I need to get out there some day.

You guys on the right coast have boats we westerners can only dream about or look at pictures. Not having anything real the pics are great though ... thanks.

Must be sarcasm, right? :D

Take Colleen for instance.....;) She was built on Lake Union in Seattle, there are a half-dozen of her sisters cruising around Puget Sound. These sad right-coasters had to import the only real boat at their show! :whistling:

The biggest right coast wooden boat show is put on by WoodenBoat Magazine at Mystic Seaport. It's great fun but a tiny event (and fleet) compared to the Port Townsend Festival. The really amazing part is that Mystic sees the same boats displayed year after year. Port Townsend puts together a different much larger fleet, year after year.

Look around, you live in a wooden boat mecca.....:)

Check out the fleet http://classicyacht.org/pnw

Last edited:
Thanks TAD,
Very nice to know as we've been in Alaska for 8 years and tied up in domestic work and lately bringing Willy back to ready to go condition. Lots of upgrading and fixing what we can of the damage 8years of SE AK weather did.

We're about ready to come out of our hole and "get around more".

See you around .......

A little gaudy for my taste, maybe. Still, she's pretty cool (for a wooden boat). KJ

1429-albums299-picture1736.jpg

1429-albums299-picture1706.jpg

1429-albums194-picture1737.jpg

Nice boat

Sergio "Alemao" Sztancsa
Sent from my iPhone, using Trawler Forum

I have been attended Australian Wooden Boat Festival last year with my few fellows. It is an annual event that is held in Hobart Tasmania, In this spot we can see the wooden canoes, kayaks and dinghies as well as yachts and tall ships.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom