Android tablet as second back up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Odd, the region I downloaded came with all the NOAA charts. I'll download the SF Bay area and see what I get.

You can also load custom chart areas into MX Mariner. I regularly download all the charts I want onto my laptop for use with a number of different software products there. I could probably export the whole thing to MX and only have to get the updates once for both platforms.

The charts may be there. I've noticed with mx mariner that sometimes you have to tell it to go to a different chart zone for it use the correct chart.

Since the beginning I've used MX on my smart phone, as well as Navionics.
On the lap top I use polar navy with $25 gps puck from Amazon.

Navionics did change their pricing scheme a bit by increasing the cost for tablets vice phones, but only about $10 more.
They are the best way to get Canadian charts cheap and when we went to Nova Scotia last summer, Navionics became the secondary after the crappy chart plotter.

For the U.S. polar navy was #1, on the laptop, then MX, then Navionics.

I switched to coastal explorer to use the c maps by Jepp due to cost.

And added a tablet that I also added Navionics, though during the big storm, I think I was using my cell navionics in addition to CE

Something isn't running well when using Navionics on the Android it wouldn't keep the boat and map just wouldn't align no matter what. I had good GPS signal. I think what it might be would be the speed I was moving at 6 knots. The map kept changing orientation. I was so glad that I didn't really need it. I am going to contact Navionics to see what the issue was/is

I had a similar issue. Click the triangle in the lower left corner so the orientation is North Up, not course up. My phone map seems to jump like that when Course Up is selected. It's not an issue with North Up.

Sorry Al, for some reason I just saw your post above.

MX Mariner

The list you've linked includes just 2 localized charts in the west delta area...not the entire CA Delta as mentioned in the previous posts and my email to MX Mariner. MX Mariner has told me that they don't have a distribution rights for the maps of the entire delta. I have to take them at their word.

Something isn't running well when using Navionics on the Android it wouldn't keep the boat and map just wouldn't align no matter what. I had good GPS signal. I think what it might be would be the speed I was moving at 6 knots. The map kept changing orientation. I was so glad that I didn't really need it. I am going to contact Navionics to see what the issue was/is

Check with Navionics directly. A friend with the Nexus 7 did an update to her NEW Navionics and she had all kinds of trouble. Turns out she roused a bug in their program. Maybe you have a similar problem.
We have not updated ours yet so didn't get caught, just forewarned.

Worth checking with them.

I had a similar issue. Click the triangle in the lower left corner so the orientation is North Up, not course up. My phone map seems to jump like that when Course Up is selected. It's not an issue with North Up.

The list you've linked includes just 2 localized charts in the west delta area...not the entire CA Delta as mentioned in the previous posts and my email to MX Mariner. MX Mariner has told me that they don't have a distribution rights for the maps of the entire delta. I have to take them at their word.

I think we are maybe both confused. I looked at NOAA's list for all RNC Delta maps and the MX list and did not notice anything missing... they had everything all the way to Colusa and Stockton, including the critical 18661 and 18662 charts which cover all the navigable soughs and rivers. The MX list requires you to go all the way through it as it is kind of in random order, Delta charts show up next to San Diego charts...

So now you have me curious, what is missing?

I just downloaded MXCart from the MX Mariner site. It allows you to make your own regions. Just point it to a folder full of current BSB charts, and let it rip. You may have to leave it overnight or longer, it's very CPU and memory intensive.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom